Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: simple but good quality mic for videos

I have a Blue Snowball usb mic. Has been absolutely perfect for me. Excellent sound quality when using a decent recording software (Audacity really poops on sound quality). But I do wish it were more portable. If I wanted to record outside, I'd have to have a laptop. I suggest the H2N to anyone reading this for mic suggestions. My friend has one, and we recently recording a whole jam session in the backyard with friends. It picked up everything quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtiestkidever View Post
    Hey folks. I got the Zoom H2n and am very satisfied. It definitely picks up the baritone better than my macbook air mic (and with no fan noise). It also just sounds much better than the mics in my iphone of macbook air for all of my ukes (and voice). Plus, I can now place the camera and mic in different locations which also makes a difference.

It makes me sound like a better player for sure. Or maybe the other mics made me sound worse. Highly recommended.
    Are you making videos with it on Youtube? I'd love to see them if you'd like to share your channel link.

I've just started looking for a mic so can't recommend anything, but I always find the reviews at the wirecutter to be very thorough.
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...sb-microphone/

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    Are you making videos with it on Youtube? I'd love to see them if you'd like to share your channel link.
    This is the first one i made with it. I recorded with an iphone so in iMovie I had both the iphone audio and the zoom audio. There was a very noticeable difference. I wanted to make comparison video switching between the two but i couldn't figure out how to do it and gave up after just a couple of minutes of trying. But the difference was big enough that it made me feel good about the purchase of the zoom h2n. And yes, I love the portability of it. I am not tied to a computer to record.

did you play much with the XY vs MS settings? One thing I dislike about this microphone is the pain of menu navigation and just the amount of settings that can be tweaked.

Quote Originally Posted by aquadan View Post
    I've just started looking for a mic so can't recommend anything, but I always find the reviews at the wirecutter to be very thorough.
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the...sb-microphone/
    that review is okay, but it would be better if they had a coherent condensed list of what mics they actually tested instead of rambling around. It doesn't seem like they had the zoom H2N in that test which can very easily function as a monitored USB powered microphone and it's cheaper than most mics they evaluated. Of course they could have evaluated it but didn't include it, but back to my first point: they article isn't precise about what they actually did.
    Last edited by bnolsen; 02-13-2014 at 07:49 AM.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Quote Originally Posted by dirtiestkidever View Post
    This is the first one i made with it. I recorded with an iphone so in iMovie I had both the iphone audio and the zoom audio. There was a very noticeable difference. I wanted to make comparison video switching between the two but i couldn't figure out how to do it and gave up after just a couple of minutes of trying. But the difference was big enough that it made me feel good about the purchase of the zoom h2n. And yes, I love the portability of it. I am not tied to a computer to record.

Awesome! Excellent quality.

Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    did you play much with the XY vs MS settings? One thing I dislike about this microphone is the pain of menu navigation and just the amount of settings that can be tweaked.
    Yeah. I tried our all of the recording modes when I first got it. It seems to me that XY is the only one you really want for recording a solo uke performance though I dont know much about recording. And it is a little difficult to navigate but not prohibitively so. I read the manual pretty thoroughly when i first got it and I think that is a good idea for this mic. But now I feel like I am off and running with it and I find it very easy to use.

I've been using MS mode with something -16 or so on the side bands. That works well for the piano lessons where they move from the piano to a table nearby. Also I've noticed some youtube recordings with stereo can be very distracting, especially when the speaker turns his head, etc. But I honestly haven't run the different settings much myself nor played with mic placement yet.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Thread Information