If you could design a ukulele to be handmade in a small batch?

TJ Uke

Reaction score
So Matt from Saigon Guitars asked my advice on ideas for new uke models.

I put one forward, a super-concert based specification based on the standard Noah uke design, and he's having some made.

But... Seeing as this direct line to a person in charge of choosing what gets made is pretty neat, I figured I'd ask you guys and pass on anything that's popular!

Some things I put to him include stuff like considering pin bridge and stuff, alongside full model concepts.

What would you have made in a batch?

some people like a 13-fret to the body design, and a slight cut-away.
arched or curved back (like Kala Travel series) and radiused fretboard.
fair to great pricing with beautiful-grained wood with great tonal qualities.

keep uke'in',

solid curly koa Martin 5K concert tribute...

That's interesting, I think I've only seen 12 or 14 frets to body on ukes...

Makes sense, I've seen it on guitars for sure..

Slotted headstock in a solid concert size, curly maple body with stain color options, ebony headstock overlay, black tuning machine knobs, ebony nut, bridge, and saddle.

Ooh, ebony nut/bridge/saddle would look striking on that!

Here's what I really want in a ukulele although its not just for custom models. I want some research and development and some thought put into a design before its released. AND then importantly, Quality Control. Now no discredit to Saigon guitars, I'm not familiar with them and they may do this already but I'm so tired of ukulele's that haven't been thought out properly or developed properly.

What I'm getting at here is that someone needs to make ONE new model, assess it, modify it and have it sorted before releasing it.

Pin bridges are neat but the problem with them is that they really only work properly with ball end strings. They are a little hit and miss without the ball ends. Some work them fine but judging by the discourse on the subject here many don't. Maybe he could play around finding just the right size and shape bead to fit on the end of the string in order to make pin bridges a little more fool proof.

Anthony

Nice dark wood uke with maple fretboard and bridge.
Concert pineapple
Hell.. How about a 8-string tenor pineapple!!

The pin bridge will be a bit different I think. My understanding is that it would function regardless of the pins and the pins are to be almost just a decorative choice that you can switch out to your own preferred style.

Top Bottom