Seasons of the Ukulele #103 Geometric Shapes.

A Pentangle song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUApEyH262s
Oh, and I said that the King was gonna make Willy a King by mistake. I don't think that would have happened...
Child #100 Fause Foodrage

As I know it, Willie accepts the daughter but spurns the land as he has land of his own.

<pedant mode>
You got your Child numbers mixed up. Willie O' Winsbury is indeed Child 100. Fause Foodrage, a very different & much darker ballad is Child 89
</pedant mode> :eek:ld:

I must try and get round to listening sometime.

When I first saw the theme, I thought. "Have I got a song that fits the theme?" Nothing came instantly to mind. I read through the titles of the songs I've got on the PC and nothing leapt out at me. So, I dug out my old exercise book of songs from my distant past and as I turned the pages came across a love song of mine that I had almost forgotten: "Pyramid" - in which a wise 23 year old Berni, who had recently fallen madly in love with a lass ((once again)) compares the building of a relationship to the building of a Pyramid.

So, here, getting its first public airing in almost thirty years, is "Pyramid" - a song I wrote for Claire, a girlfriend I was hoping to have and hold forever - but who left me after less than six months. Still, I got a nice song out of it ;)

As usual, the lyrics are in the YouTube description.

Yes, I think the response contain's "I will marry your daughter Janet but I'll not be a Lord of your land." I was just saying that I'd made a mistake in the line offering the Land as a dowry by singing "I'll make you a KING of my land."

Hardly pedantic and much help, thanks. I'd been using this info:
Dick Gaughan used the Fause Foodrage tune that Andy Irvine set to Willy of Winsbury, though he maybe changed it just a little.
And, you're correct of course, I meant to copy the following (From Andy Irvine's notes I think)
You can change the first two chords (G,D) for
(em,bm) in some verses to make the song more
exciting.
Child #100, melody: Child # 89: Fause Foodrage
As I know it, Willie accepts the daughter but spurns the land as he has land of his own.

<pedant mode>
You got your Child numbers mixed up. Willie O' Winsbury is indeed Child 100. Fause Foodrage, a very different & much darker ballad is Child 89
</pedant mode> :eek:ld:

I must try and get round to listening sometime.

a song I wrote for Claire, a girlfriend I was hoping to have and hold forever - but who left me after less than six months. Still, I got a nice song out of it ;)
I love your frankness Berni. This really made me chuckle. What a great line that is "who left me after less than six months. Still, I got a nice song out of it". Sad - but just a brilliant quote. :eek:

Here we go, here's my effort, 1 take using an iphone3, not sure where the interference came from.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ok if you say so but I thought F was lower than G. As for the tuning the answer is NO. The Martin is tuned G-C-E-A and the song is played in the key of Bb using Bb shapes (i.e. Bb, Eb, Dm, F7 etc). The iUke is tuned F-Bb-D-G and played using C major shapes (C, F, Em, Dm etc) which means its in tune with the Martin which is playing in the key of Bb.
As for the Ed Stewpot reference well you lost me on that one Paul. :-/

Aha. See what you mean. F5 is one tone lower than G5, of course, but F6, which is what your piccolo's tuned to, is 7 tones higher. That's why I suggested an octave higher (I wasn't sure about the Martin's tuning). I suppose to be accurate, you'd say the Martin was tuned to C4 (middle C) and the piccolo to Bb5 (7 tones higher).

As to losing you on Stewpot? Keep them gums flapping grandad xx

Aha. See what you mean. F5 is one tone lower than G5, of course, but F6, which is what your piccolo's tuned to, is 7 tones higher. That's why I suggested an octave higher (I wasn't sure about the Martin's tuning). I suppose to be accurate, you'd say the Martin was tuned to C4 (middle C) and the piccolo to Bb5 (7 tones higher).

As to losing you on Stewpot? Keep them gums flapping grandad xx
Ah yes your rationale about tunings makes perfect sense. Thank you for clarifying for me. Still haven't got a Danny La Rue what your on about with Stewpot and gums and granddads though. ;)

I'll bet I know what you're thinking and that you won't be the only one doing it (which is good!)
A younger member of my household is working on figuring out F11 on the uke.

Whoa, I haven't wanted to do one of these so hard in a while... I have the perfect song. Now, if I only can find the time!!

Ha, I think I know what you're thinking I'm thinking... and I love that song. But I am the Queen of Weird Obscure Things... and have another song in mind; we shall see! ;)

Woooooo, spooky communication! (Or, perhaps lack thereof on my part.)

The Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Ha, I think I know what you're thinking I'm thinking... and I love that song. But I am the Queen of Weird Obscure Things... and have another song in mind; we shall see! ;)

Please forgive another Pentangle song that I love. I'm deep into the nightsweats stage of bonus fever. This DOES have to do with pouring liquid from a cylinder however.

I think I have caught up with everyone so far. If you can't see my responses it's because I have responded to each persons video on their channel
I didn't expect this much diversity in songs, it's amazing. me sitting here in my house up in Canada freezing me buns off
and all around the world people are playing Ukulele songs. It's amazing.

This is "That's the Way the World goes 'Round " by John Prine.
This song mentions ice "cubes" in the lyrics

Now I love Radiohead and I reckon you've captured their style perfectly. I really enjoyed your personal twist on this Mike.

thank you very much Dave. People notice mistakes much easier if you try and do a carbon copy of a song, thats why i change stuff so much.

Top Bottom