Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who likes quilted maple?

Default Who likes quilted maple?

Got this one strung up yesterday and really pleased with it. I wasn't sure about building this instrument with a spruce top, thinking that all that light coloured wood might be too much, so paired up some lovely chocolate brown Western Red Cedar with the maple hoping the combo would work well. I think it's ended up looking quite different and striking. And the tone......I just love it.

Body - Quilted Maple
    Top - Western Red Cedar
    Rosette - Curly Koa and Gold MOP
    Neck - Spanish Cedar
    All trim including Fret Board and Bridge - Gidgee
    Tuners - Grover Sta-Tites
    Strings - Worth Brown
    Finish - High Gloss Lacquer

Qulted Maple and Cedar Tenor_2014May04_009.jpgQulted Maple and Cedar Tenor_2014May04_012.jpgQulted Maple and Cedar Tenor_2014May04_015.jpgQulted Maple and Cedar Tenor_2014May04_022.jpgQulted Maple and Cedar Tenor_2014May04_003.jpg

Very nice. Love your rosettes - beautiful detail. Actually, nice details all around.

Quiled Maple is one of my favorites. Shawn has one on his site. When it was out in public, you would think people would want to pluck the strings to see how the instrument sounds. Nope - they wanted to touch the Maple, thinking it was bumpy. . .

For me, its the opposite from a design standpoint - Spruce top, and Quilted Maple neck. Yes, it is a very "white" instrument, but personally, visually striking. I got the idea from Cumpiano's Curly Maple in the book (with the curly Maple neck), & have been doing white for a while. You should try it - your rosette elements, and bindings, along with the heel detail will set it off nicely. Maybe go opposite on the headstock and match the veneer to the bindings or fretboard. I did that once (Cocobolo Fretboard and headstock veneer) - comes out cool.

Stunning, Allen!

Beautiful work Allen. Love the quilted Maple.

Wow...that quilt is insane! I'm amazed you could resist the red or blue dye job that most quilt gets :P

Just beautiful, Allen! The maple really is stunning!

The figure in this maple is really extraordinary for sure. Difficult to bend without it wanting to fracture along that very short grain though.

I do admire those dye jobs that some people put on maple, but I prefer the look of wood and letting it speak for itself.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. My UAS was at bay, now look what you did!
    Susie A

I'd say that worked beautifully. I just love the depth of curly/tiger maple.
    Anne
    Anne K. Flynn

Family Motto: LIFE IS A MUSICAL

Thread Information