Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making my First Electric Ukulele...feasibility and help please!

Just took a look at the plans and video, I loved it. The classical style head looks very elegant. I'll definitely be using your idea for the layered body, as I'm not confident with my router skills. I may also do the neck like you, I was planning on doing the standard mortise and tenon, but yours seems much easier. Can't argue with the results either! By the way, I love your work, I believe I subscribed to you a week ago on youtube. Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by needmorecowbell View Post
    I was looking at that, how would I get the shape of the neck and head? Lots of sanding? And thanks, ill look at fretted fretboards now.

I was thinking the same thing inksplosive. I was going to use mandolin steel strings.
    It is not as hard as you might imagine, although accuracy is your friend. I made a video of the steps I take to make a banjolele, much of which involves a schematic view of how to make the neck. I use a band saw for some of the cuts, but a hand saw is possible. Most of the rough shaping is then done with a rasp and coarse sand paper.

Ah thank you, the video has helped. You did a similar thing to the video I posted. But how do you secure the neck to the body without a mortise and tenon this way? From what I understand, the base of the neck is flat.

For the banjolele I rounded the end of the neck with a drum sander and then bolted it on using the captive nut thingy. For the 'proper' all wood sopranos I have been making more recently, I used the spanish heal technique, where two slots are cut either side of the neck and the pre-bent sides glued and wedged into them. This makes a rock solid joint and is relatively easy to get right.

Read Melvyn Hiscocks book on building an electric guitar. The design and construction process is identical to building a solid body uke and it is broken down in to very simple steps. Just scale it down. Practice neck carving on a 2x4 until you feel comfortable attacking your neck.

Orange- thanks, I read up on captive nuts, I'm thinking that might be the way to go because the Spanish heal would be impossible for this build (solid body).

Thistle- trying to find the book at a library, so far no luck. But I'm determined! Seems like exactly what I need, thanks!

An easy neck joint is to use a neck pocket. Its a simple process if you have a router. You can either glue it or bolt it.

Thanks, I was worried that doing that might not sound as great. In danielhubert's electric ukulele plans, he did that. It definitely looks like the easiest.

A quick update...

I've made the ukulele! Here is a video of how it sounds...

It is for a fundraiser I have started. There will be tickets to raffle off this ukulele and all of the proceeds will go to coral.org, a reef conservation alliance. I'd like to thank everyone for helping me so much on this project, and I'm happy that I am able to give back with this knowledge.

I was asked to build another ukulele for the relay for life, a cancer support fundraiser. I can't wait to make it!!

Thread Information