So you wrote a song, now what?

mcoreen

Reaction score
What do you do with your songs after you've written them & you're happy with the results? (Assuming you're not an established recording performer).
I play at a music circle (mainly musicians, a few song-writers, plus a few friends along for moral support). Played a song for family also after writing a song as an xmas gift.
I'd really like to score an opening spot in our small town summer concert series - I think it's a realistic goal to work towards.

I would record them and stick them up on youtube for all of us to hear and maybe learn.

Add lyrics and chords etc and release your songs into the wild

paul

Would you get royalties, if so how?

Trying to get royalties on your own is damn near impossible. The best way to do it is by getting with a Performing Rights Organization (PRO) like ASCAP or BMI. These groups register your copywrited songs on your behalf and allow you to collect your royalties without having to figure out who's using your songs for something like digital broadcasting or in movies, tv, etc.

If you get a CD made through a company like CD Baby/DiscMakers, they actually cover this option for you.

Top Bottom