Vintage Martin tuner cracking - advice needed

strumsilly

Reaction score
I have a really minty Martin bari, and it came with a high D, so I was putting on a low D to see what it sounded like, and as I was tuning the string up, I could hear the button cracking. It is almost completely split on 1 side, and cracked on the other. I'm thinking super glue, I can spread the crack a little wider , but I'm afraid of getting glue squeeze out on the outside and not being able to get it off. If this was a beater, I wouldn't be so fussy, but this is a pristine Martin, looks like new, and I don't want to mess it up. I've heard acetone will get it off. advice?.
DSC04164.jpg

You can get CA glue in various viscosities. I would try the thinnest with an accelerator. It's almost as thin as water, so it should run along the edge of the crack. Apply the glue, squeeze the crack shut, spray it with the accelerator. Dries instantly. The glue is available at Stewmac or Luthier's Mercantile.

You can get CA glue in various viscosities. I would try the thinnest with an accelerator. It's almost as thin as water, so it should run along the edge of the crack. Apply the glue, squeeze the crack shut, spray it with the accelerator. Dries instantly. The glue is available at Stewmac or Luthier's Mercantile.

thanks, if some happens to squeeze out, is it removable with acetone?

Top Bottom