Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re: 'justifying the ukulele' - TOMMY EMMANUEL plays uke!

Default Re: 'justifying the ukulele' - TOMMY EMMANUEL plays uke!

There is another thread in the forum about an article on 'In Defense of the Ukulele', and as providence would have it, I just found this video. It shows virtuoso guitarist Tommy Emmanuel, playing an ukulele.

For all those that say that 'real' musicians don't play uke, you can show them this video. If they still are haters, then there is simply no hope for them.

http://youtu.be/8774DAut-W4

If you go on youtube and search for Tommy Emmanuel you will see massive amounts of evidence a 'real' musician.
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Very sweet! Thanks for sharing this clip. I knew he was a talented musician, and he seems like such a nice man from this clip.
    "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time."Thomas Merton

Booli is right! Tommy Emmanuel is a remarkable musician, and by all accounts, a very decent, charming person.

Who is it that says that real musicians don't play uke? I have never heard this.

I may be true that many uke players are not talented musicians. Few people would dispute that. But there are certainly many, many excellent musicians that play uke as their first instrument.

Tommy is certainly a very talented guitarist playing something very simple on the uke. However, he is clearly not a talented ukulele player, no matter how loud the applause.
    KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

Brilliant, that says it all!
    http://www.youtube.com/errol4bz
    http://leroy4bz.blogspot.com/
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The good thing about music is when it hits you, you feel no pain!

Feeling salty?
    Noah Monkeypod Concert
    RISA tenor uke-solid

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Middleton View Post
    Who is it that says that real musicians don't play uke? I have never heard this.
    Hi Ken,

Since taking up the ukulele last April 2013, after nearly 35 yrs of playing the guitar, when I have told folks of my new interest in the ukulele, they usually act with laughter and ridicule and mention something about Tiny Tim or that it is a 'toy instrument'.

I will typically show them videos from Roy Smeck, Jake Shimbukuro, James Hill, Victoria Vox, L'il Rev and by that time they have learned to keep the snide remarks to themselves unless they want to become the sole object of my attention in my crusade to alter their thinking away from this obsolete and dysfunctional belief.

Most of the time after sharing these videos and discussing the ukulele while 'educating' them, folks want to buy a James Hill or Jake Shimabukuro album immediately from iTunes or Amazon.

I am almost forced to 'fight the good fight' since it has been a lifetime pursuit of mine to eliminate ignorance whenever and wherever possible.

-Booli

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Uke View Post
    Feeling salty?
    Hi TJ,

As our UK friends would say, maybe I'm 'daft', but could you please clarify 'salty'?

Thanks,

Booli

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Middleton View Post

I may be true that many uke players are not talented musicians. Few people would dispute that. But there are certainly many, many excellent musicians that play uke as their first instrument.

Tommy is certainly a very talented guitarist playing something very simple on the uke. However, he is clearly not a talented ukulele player, no matter how loud the applause.

Ken, exactly who stated Tommy Emmanuel was a "talented ukulele player." You completely missed the point of the original post.

Tommy's played with Jake and Brittni so he definitely appreciates talent.

Thread Information