Glue to repair uke case's curling faux leather?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good glue to repair uke case's curling faux leather?

I've got some decent cases with a few miles on them that have the faux leather curling up from a seam. A good glue should do it. I guess the adhesive should have some flexibility so CA, hide glue, etc. are out.

Any suggestions?

I think you are over thinking the problem.

Not me but it might help with motivation.

Faux hot hide glue?

Shoe repair glue is available at most hardware stores. Use a not too thick layer and its pretty permanent.
Bill

While I haven't made this repair, I have been involved in craft work most of my life. Here are my thoughts on the matter:

I would probably choose a black silicone adhesive.

I would require a very small "spatula like" tool with which to apply the glue. I have several, but if I had to, I'd flatten the end of a nail and file it to shape to get the size tool I needed.

I would experiment with the following for "practice"
- I would heat the tolex to be glued to see if it relaxes it enough to eliminate the curl as much as possible. I'd try a hair dryer first.
- I would apply a small drop of glue on a test item...as little as possible to make the repair.
- I would let it dry for a minute or so to get a feel for how long it takes to set up and how long my working time will be.
- After it has set up, ever so slightly, I'd lightly tap it with a scotchbright yellow plastic scrubber to simulate the texture of the tolex.

After you have done this on some scrap anything, you will then have a game plan to make a professional repair. Not difficult, just a little more time consuming. Also, I have made scuffs on my amps "disappear" with just a little black shoe polish, carefully buffing it until no more polish will come off on a dry cloth or paper towel.

Just my :2cents:

Can anyone recommend a good glue to repair faux leather?

I've got some decent cases with a few miles on them that have the faux leather curling up from a seam. A good glue should do it. I guess the adhesive should have some flexibility so CA, hide glue, etc. are out.

Any suggestions?

Aleene's Leather & Suede Glue is great, I used it to repair a damaged leather chair. After drying, it has very strong fixing power and is very flexible. It should also work well on artificial leather.

I've done this using titebond . Still looks fine after many years.

So , ... this question is more than 5 years old . I wonder what he did .:deadhorse:
I hope he used the Titebond.

Last edited:
Top Bottom