Thread: DIY 'strap button' for Fluke

Default DIY 'strap button' for Fluke

I've had a fluke for a few weeks now and I like the sound, but am not in love with the shape as far as holding it and playing while standing up.
    I wanted to add a strap but didn't want to drill a hole and cause permanent damage.
    We use the 'commander' strips a lot in our household and I saw some of the cord hanger pieces and thought it might work...

So far working very well. Solid, easy, and no hole in the body. Plus the 'male' end of the cord holder is perfect for going through the strap button connector on my ukeleash.

I tried to spray paint the 2nd hanger black, but the paint didn't hold...I might try again using some primer or if anyone has any ideas on spray painting plastic let me know.

If you see any way to improve this let me know
    fluke1.jpgfluke2.jpgfluke4.jpg

Cool application. I love the clear commander hooks on the back of the headstock of my tenors to attach that end of the strap when I don't have a strap button at the neck heel.
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

thats a cool idea...got any pics?

Wow thanks to both of you for the great ideas. I'm going to do just what you are doing.

Btw I'm hooked on the sound of the Fluke also. My favorite sounding of all my ukes. I have ordered one with the rosewood tenor fretboard.
    Last edited by Icelander53; 02-15-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seanmorr View Post
    thats a cool idea...got any pics?
    I just took one - not very good as it's a crappy P&S camera but you can probably see that it's the open style hook used for routing wires. The end of my thin leather strap just goes right over the hook and the open side of the hook is facing away from the direction of pull of the strap. I wouldn't trust this for slinging a uke over my back or something but when you just need to steady it on stage it works fine.

Command Strip Strap Button.jpg

I've also used a Command adhesive strip to semi-permanently attach one of the Planet Waves Mini headstock tuners to the back of a headstock. This was the earlier mini version and the clip didn't work very well so I snapped the clip off and filed the little knob down that it clips on, then used a Command strip to attach it to the head stock.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Thread Information