rec for inexpensive keyboard

seanmorr

Reaction score
hi all,
I'm trying to learn some theory (found a few great ipad apps) and it seem like having a piano keyboard around would really help for this.

Any recommendations on a good inexpensive keyboard
I really don't care about bells and whistles only interested in a feel close to a real piano as far as key size and action

any ideas welcome

and I'm in a city with a very vibrant craigslist community so I could probably pick up something used

thanks

that's a tough one for me if you mention ipad and real paino feel..

I just went the same route a few weeks ago and while you can get some keyboards that are midi for a couple of hundred. I ended up getting the Casio Provia PX-780. for $999 with deferred payments.

I know it sounds like a lot of money but it feels like a real piano, the bells and whistles are there but more interesting is a great hookup with the Ipad via the $30 camera kit and wow! There's a good set of apps from tutorials to garageband to one that can transcribe music into a score...

http://www.casio.com/products/Digital_Pianos_&_Keyboards/Privia_Digital_Pianos/PX-780/

By the way I got mine through Kraft music, free shipping and am very happy with it.

if you are talking real cheap my suggestion would be to not bother with the "piano feel" as I doubt you will get something for a few hundred or less. more importanly though would be to get a Midi (IOS) compatible keyboard so you can at least use it as a controller for the ipad music apps.

Best of luck..

thanks
I should have mentioned that I am just getting some theory tutorials on the ipad...although it would be cool not sure if I would hook it up to the ipad. And yeah I know getting one with realistic feel is a longshot in a low price range, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

I don't think I need a full sized keyboard but regular sized piano keys or at least close would be nice

An Ipad I'm not sure about but computer/laptop or midi equipment I have an old 1st gen midi controller by m-audio called the oxygen-8. Looks like the new ones are very nice. There are times I wish I had bought the next size up by the 25 keys is fine for working with reason or other "music programs".

Thing is technically its a midi controller so it doesn't make any sound on its own. Plugs right into a computer through the USB, full sized keys velocity sensitive pressure sensitive more keyboard than I'll ever need.

For $99 to $150 you'll have a nice controller. I would likely get the Oxygen-49 today if my 1st gen oxygen-8 stopped working.

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=oxygen

Wow hehe: Breath (dark ambiance)

Uncle Dom (fun little ditty)

Both were made with the oxygen-8.

~peace~

Last edited:
Top Bottom