Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fleamarket cricket violin?

Default Fleamarket cricket violin?

Just looking for what replacement tuners to stick on my fluke and I bumped into the "Cricket Violin"

http://www.magicfluke.com/The-Cricke...-p/cricket.htm

Looks like there's a video too:

What the heck is this thing??

I'm sorry if this belongs in "other instruments".
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Sorry if I don't quite understand your question. But to me it's exactly as they say, a travel-ready, full-size violin. And pretty indestructible too, like the Fleas/Flukes. Though I have to say, I was sadly disappointed to see this particular product of theirs is not a uke. Nice that they're expanding, but still... I was hoping for a bowed uke. Oh well. Kinda makes me wonder if I should re-venture into the violin world, after the one horrid year of lessons I had as a teenager.

Looking more into it yeah, it looks like a normal violin. I never played violin but I was never able to play the pardessus viola da gamba with a 32cm scale since my fingertips are too fat. Lookslike a full sized violin has a 33cm scale. If I knew I could finger this thing I'd probably pick one up and try to transfer my viola da gamba skills over to violin.

One problem: as a 4 stringed bowed instrument tuning in 4ths and 3rd doesn't get you the range tunings in 5ths would. Then they would need to produce a 6 string pardessus with gamba tuning that's held and bowed like a violin. That would definitely excite guitar players.

Okay just checked. A normal soprano ukulele has a 33cm scale as well. Okay at about the 9th fret or so I can no longer finger half steps run with adjacent frets, can't jam my fingers together that tight...oops that's on a 14"/35cm soprano I have that problem.
    Last edited by bnolsen; 02-21-2014 at 08:48 AM.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

We saw this at NAMM, really well made and sounds good too.
    My GF plays violin and liked it a lot, she want to buy one.
    Keep Strummin'

OMG! I must be crazy.

I Just ordered one.

You see I did 4 years of violin when I was 9, and a real violin is beyond my means or interest. it's even more delicate then a uke etc...

But a Cricket, made by FleaMarket, I have faith in them and from the video it looks great. Plus it will go with my Firefly, Fluke and Flea.

Funny that the bow is only $26.00 My sisters have bows that cost between $5000 and $10,000!!!

anyway I ordered one, seems to be available with a walnut and or maple neck, but no choice when ordering so I will need to write to them. And needless to say I had to splurge for pegheds...

hope it's as much fun as it looks and that I remember some!
    YouTube channel
    Personal blog

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
    The Journey is the reward...

Nice! This looks like a fantastic piece of coolness for fiddlers.
    Angus

What the heart knows today the head will understand tomorrow.

- James Stephens, from The Crock of Gold

Thank you Olarte, now I can put off ordering one for a while. Too bad there's no longer a Flea in this house... I still regret that and will have to remedy it soonner rather than later. B.C. Before Cricket. LOL

I'll be sure to post a short review right after I get it

Quote Originally Posted by peaceweaver3 View Post
    Thank you Olarte, now I can put off ordering one for a while. Too bad there's no longer a Flea in this house... I still regret that and will have to remedy it soonner rather than later. B.C. Before Cricket. LOL
    YouTube channel
    Personal blog

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.

I'm psyched, they might be shipping it by tomorrow or Friday.

I was expecting it to be another two weeks but I may get it as early as Friday or Monday.... Woohooo!
    YouTube channel
    Personal blog

Quote Originally Posted by Olarte View Post
    I'm psyched, they might be shipping it by tomorrow or Friday.

I was expecting it to be another two weeks but I may get it as early as Friday or Monday.... Woohooo!
    Hi Ivan,

I am looking forwards to your review (hopefully with sound sample) as I am interested in the Cricket as well since violin was my 1st instrument when i was 5 yrs old, also my niece (9 yrs old) is currently renting a violin from the school band program, and she's been at it for 3 yrs now, and my sister has been talking about just buying her one to keep, and methinks this would be a good one.

I have a concert Flea and a tenor Fluke so I am familiar with the high quality from Magic Fluke company.

Please keep us posted here in the thread when you post our review.

Thanks,

Booli
    This ═╣FAQ link╠═ will help you learn about many things.
    You should click it, as the answers are waiting for you.

Thread Information