Friction tuners?

jjdejd

Reaction score
Looking at buying a KoAloha concert. Bought all of my uke's from HMS. They offer a tuner upgrade on many of the "K" brands. Been shopping for a pre-owned concert and can't decide if it is worth buying one or just going with a new one with the tuner upgrade? Please comment if you own a uke with friction tuners. Thanks.

All my ukuleles had geared tuners until I purchased an Ohana sk28. It has Gotoh friction tuners. They are nice. Easy to use and they keep the ukulele very well in tune. I really like them. What tuners will you be upgrading from? And what exact tuners would you be upgrading to?

All my ukuleles had geared tuners until I purchased an Ohana sk28. It has Gotoh friction tuners. They are nice. Easy to use and they keep the ukulele very well in tune. I really like them. What tuners will you be upgrading from? And what exact tuners would you be upgrading to?

If I buy a new KoAloha concert, it would be the Gotoh tuner upgrade that HMS offers or I would find a source to make the change if I buy a pre-owned KoAloha.

KoAloha friction tuners are wonderful. I prefer friction tuners to geared and those on my KoAloha are the best I have ever used. I suggest trying them, and then upgrading later if for some reason you don't like them.....and send the old ones to me!

Switching from gears to friction can be frustrating at first. Don't give up, you can get used to friction tuners. There are people who switch out their friction tuners for geared on all ukes, but when you really dig into it they usually didn't try long enough. It took me a month to like my Ohana with friction tuners.

KoAloha friction tuners are amazing. Its almost not fair to compare them to other friction tuners. I definitely would not change them. At least give them a try first.

I was surprised how easy they were to use. I was somehow thinking they would be comparable to dealing with a pissy violin peg. So happy to find that isn't the case.

KoAloha friction tuners are great. If they aren't the best friction tuners an the planet I don't know which ones are.

I much prefer friction tuners over traditional high-ratio geared tuners (open or enclosed). They are lighter and much faster to wind up to pitch when changing strings. That said, since Gotoh came out with the UPT planetary 4:1 tuners I've started gradually replacing them on my ukes with friction tuners. They are the best of both worlds; quick and easy like friction but slightly more precise.

John

Friction tuners aren't awful - I don't think they deserve the reputation they seem to have, and I far prefer them to those awful tuners that stick out of the sides of the headstock and need to be turned a gazillion times (yes, I do know that string winders exist). I've had a Koaloha with friction tuners, my Kamakas have friction tuners, and they're just fine.

That being said - get the Gotoh upgrade if it's in your budget. Why? Because if you don't, once you encounter Gotohs in the wild, you'll start wanting them.

(Yep, I speak from experience. Upgrading to Gotohs on both of my Kamakas next month or so! :) )

I upgraded to geared tuners on the same model. I would never go back.

For the smallest, lightest, 4:1 geared in line tuner, you can't beat PEGHEDS. They also cost less than Gotoh. PEGHEDS are about to introduce a chrome shaft with ivoroid grips.

I like friction tuners, though annoying to begin with once you get used to them they are great. I like them on sopranos cause it keeps the instrument light. Frictions just take a touch to get used to is all, they just jump notes really fast, but once u get the touch I find u can tune faster than with geared. It also makes you listen to your instrument more, and understand tuning hearing better (at least me for cause i have an awful ear)

Top Bottom