Strap or no Strap?

I finally found out what brand of strap I've been using on my #1 uke for about 3 years and bought another for another uke. They are made by the Long Hollow Company. They are called a Mandolin Softy Strap. They make perfect uke straps! http://www.longhollowleather.com/catalog_dobro.htm

Might check out the Möbius Strap -- I like it, though you need a uke with a waist, it won't work on a pineapple, pear, or boat-paddle-shaped instrument.

I use a Mobius Strap on my baritone uke, sitting and standing. I don't like the idea of drilling holes in my uke and from my guitar playing I don't like tying a strap at the head. Since I only have one uke, I leave the Mobius on it all the time, but it is easy to install and remove.

Thanks for the recommendations, Steveperrywriter and gardens_guitar!

Jake, Brittni, Aldrine, Taimane and JaneRay1940 use a strap. So, yea, I use a strap.

I use a strap only on tenor. I have a Kamaka Tenor and use the port at the bottom where you plug the cord in. I saw Bruce Shimabukuro use the same setup. I bought an adapter at guitar center for the head. It works very well for me. It really helps to not have to actually hold the instrument and it frees up the left hand. I play trumpet also and there is a device called The Shulman System that holds the instrument for you. It is amazing how much body tension we sometimes use when holding an instrument. Anything that can minimize stress or tension is a winner in my book.

Hi guys

Im thinking of getting some strap buttons and a strap installed on my tenor uke, but not sure if I will end up regretting it!

I dont really want a strap that I need to tie on or anything so what does everyone think?

Strap or no strap?

if it's electric strap if it's acoustic no strap for me.

I use a uke thong. I did the "buy three get one free", gave one to my daughter, keep one out where I play most of the time, and two in the cases of the ukes I use most frequently. I haven't tried the other options, but this one works well for me, requires no tying or modifications to the instrument, and does the job. My daughter loves it too.

Today I had buttons put on the Riptide baritone so I can attach a strap if I want. I didn't want to have a rush job done if a situation came up suddenly. You know -- a uke emergency. I'd probably attach them myself in that case, assuming I had the buttons already, & the proper size drill bit. What if the 'Urgent Uke' situation involved a power outage!? (My drill plugs in) ... & I've lost bigger things than strap buttons in no time flat... come to think of it, where is my drill?
Anyway, that one is set, and the others can take the Mobius strip system, only instead of the Mobius Strap, I use a lashing strap with plastic snap buckles. At 2 dollars each, I have several of them, previously used, along with bungee cords, for lashing things to a motor scooter. (The Mobius Strap uses Velcro, which is a good idea and an improvement over my situation.)
Why not use the same method for the Riptide? I didn't like the idea of a strap scraping across its glossy spruce top. It's still new, after all...

I have ukes without straps, but my good tenor that I play daily has a strap button at the pickup and on the underside of the heel with a guitar strap. I am very happy with it. I remember going through mental torment on your question a few years ago. I am very very glad I have it on my current set up. Doing it on my next custom too.

Strap, for sure.
I add strap buttons and use a guitar strap for everything. When I decided to do that my playing improved a hundered fold.

Strap for anything larger than a soprano. I use a uke leash. Saves the faff of having a strap button fitted and does the job.

Top Bottom