Hard case for a uBass

Tele295

Reaction score
I'm looking for a hard case for a uBass so I can fly with it. The rectangular Kala case is too big and bulky for what I'm looking to do. Why won't a uBass fit in a regular baritone uke hardcase? Is the width of the tuners a problem?

My first UBass came with a semi hard case, violin shaped, with straps et al. I did a search and although they seem to still be available, they are pushing the new soft cases and large rectangular ones now. I am pretty sure, as stated above, that my case was a bari case, but I wonder now. I am fine with my gig bag that came with my Rumbler, as I go pretty easy on my instruments.

My Ubass is in what appears to be a standard baritone case, but I never stopped to think that the larger tuners could present a problem. Best to measure before you commit!

I have two baritone cases that it will NOT fit in because of the tuners. It will fit in an Ameritage case. I had it measured before I bought it to be sure. That case has since been appropriated for a Martin Baritone uke and I am now using the Kala rectangular hard case for the U-bass.
The rectangular U-bass case is decent for normal use, but I agree that is not rugged enough for a flight case.

Bill

To add to the comments above, I have the Ohana bass ukulele (which is very similar to the Ubass) and i tried to see if it will fit my Koolau baritone hardcase... the body and length fit, but the tuners are too wide.

The Kala U Bass will fit in the Lanikai Baritone polyfoam case.

http://www.amazon.com/Lanikai-Barit...4152018&sr=8-3&keywords=baritone+ukulele+case

You really have to test which cases will fit the UBass because the tuners are a problem. Mine fits fine in the case I just linked. I think it's probably the same as the Kala case. I'd probably try to carry it on the plane, but I have checked ukes in the polyfoam case at times and it has been fine. Not the most rugged case ever but will mostly do the job.

For the record, a Hadean Uke Base does not fit in the Oahu case that came with my Pono Baritone. The tuners are too wide. Per the reviews on various websites, a Hadean uke base does fit in the Musician's Gear hard case ($43)

I too had been conducting a very long search for a case for the Hadean acoustic zebrawood uke bass I got from Rondo.

I bought a few and none fit, and had to return them.

This is DESPITE taking accurate measurements and reading all the specs where each case was sold, and dimensions are not always quoted to match the physical reality of the case.

Finally, I found THIS case below:

http://www.smallguitars.com/catalog/302-Hard_cases_GQC_1-4_size_acoustic_guitar_hard_case

Which fits the Hadean and is just barely wide enough for the tuners.

What MOST folks do NOT realize is that you need about a 5.5" space INSIDE the case at the headstock otherwise the foam case will NOT clear the tuner buttons and will press on them, which over time WILL cause several different problems, which include eventually the tuner buttons will cut through the case foam, this defeating the case protection, as well as damaging the tuners, and/or causing them to either bent or separate from the headstock due to pressure against the tuner assembly from the sides at the tuner buttons.

I've found many times folks just dont read details in threads and gloss over small details like this, but this is al VERY important.

If I had to do over, I would have likely just gotten the Kala rectangular hard-case for their U-Bass, but I did not want to spend that much ($99), but instead spent LOTS of time trying to figure out a cheaper alternative.

"Penny-wise and pound-foolish" is what I did - learn from my mistake.

FYI- I AM NO LONGER looking for a case now, this was all done over a year ago.

I too had been conducting a very long search for a case for the Hadean acoustic zebrawood uke bass I got from Rondo.

I bought a few and none fit, and had to return them.

This is DESPITE taking accurate measurements and reading all the specs where each case was sold, and dimensions are not always quoted to match the physical reality of the case.

Finally, I found THIS case below:

http://www.smallguitars.com/catalog/302-Hard_cases_GQC_1-4_size_acoustic_guitar_hard_case

Which fits the Hadean and is just barely wide enough for the tuners.

What MOST folks do NOT realize is that you need about a 5.5" space INSIDE the case at the headstock otherwise the foam case will NOT clear the tuner buttons and will press on them, which over time WILL cause several different problems, which include eventually the tuner buttons will cut through the case foam, this defeating the case protection, as well as damaging the tuners, and/or causing them to either bent or separate from the headstock due to pressure against the tuner assembly from the sides at the tuner buttons.

I've found many times folks just dont read details in threads and gloss over small details like this, but this is al VERY important.

If I had to do over, I would have likely just gotten the Kala rectangular hard-case for their U-Bass, but I did not want to spend that much ($99), but instead spent LOTS of time trying to figure out a cheaper alternative.

"Penny-wise and pound-foolish" is what I did - learn from my mistake.

FYI- I AM NO LONGER looking for a case now, this was all done over a year ago.

Did you try the Musicians gear case during your search? From the photos, that appears to be what Rondo is selling as a uke-bass case.

The musician's gear baritone uke case is a good tight fit for the Hadean Uke Bass. The tuners just barely fit. My only complaint is that it is too tight to get the cable in, so I have to carry that separate with the amp.

Ordered a Musicians Gear baritone case from GC for my Ubass, it fits great! They had a sale going using march25 for 25% off! It might still work...
case.jpg

Top Bottom