"Mr. Bojangles" vocal\instrumental arrangement, Mya-Moe.

Olarte

Reaction score
Here is my own vocal and instrumental arrangement of the wonderful song Mr. Bojangles. Written by Jerry Jeff Walker, and a standard of Mr. Sammy Davis Jr.

The instrumental part follows my vocal rendition. I hope you enjoy it.

It's funny, I had a hard time choosing which ukulele to use, but the Mya-Moe is so wonderful that it turned out to be the perfect instrument for this song.

And yes I mistyped the word Ukulele of all things! On the title screen!

Oh and I'm really sorry but I don't have tabs yet.... I plan to write them out as an exercise in music but it might be a while. When I do I will update this post.

Last edited:
Excellent, thanks for posting. Look forward to the tabs.

Congratulations Ivan, very nicely done!
This uke has a superb sound and your soft singing seconds it perfectly; thanks for sharing!

Thank you all for your support, and your positive comments.

Very much appreciated! :shaka:

That was very lovely and inspiring. If I hadn't done it already I would do it again. Very moving and I can't wait for the tab. Mr. Bojangles is such a beautiful song and done right the story grabs you. You did a wonderful job of doing that. Believe it or not one of my favorite versions of this song is by Jim Stafford because of the story. You told the story so beautifully. Thanks so much for sharing this with me:)

Thank you Linda, your comments in particular touch me, as your rendition was a true inspiration.

After your posted it I was so inspired I learned the song, and the instrumental just flowed on it's own really literally overnight.

Thank you for your support and your kind comments.

Thank you,
Ivan Olarte

Bravo! This is great! Thanks for posting it! The Mya-Moe sounds great too!

Thanks Ivan.

I love a well-played sad song.

Ivan, this is awesome. I never heard you sing before. You definitely have a nice touch on the vocals here. I like it!

The E7(?) chord at the first time when you sing 'He jumped so high...' is like a turning point for the song here in your performance, for after that point, the performance becomes not only compelling, but so much more urgent feeling, like I have to hear the story and IMMEDIATELY, and I am hanging on every chord change....

This is great. I am very impressed!

Keep up the good work.

Booli :)

Thank you all for your kind comments *blushing* :eek:

I must say that music is finally coming together for me. Thanks to some wonderful guitar, and voice teachers as well as great insight from ukulele greats like Daniel Ho, Jason Arimoto, Ukulele Bartt, and Steven Strauss. I have been fortunate to attend their workshops and to hang onto certain ideas and concepts that have opened things up for me quite a bit.

I remember meeting Steven Strauss in 2012 in NYC and remember him saying that you don't have to play every chords in an instrumental... That even 2 notes will provide the harmony and shape the melody.... That stuck with me, and after the California retreat lat November I put it together with what I learned there and all of a sudden some things just click...

And the voice lessons, wow they really have made a huge difference. I never would have dared to sing if it wasn't for what the wonderful lady Mrs. Natalie Lawton has taught me in just the last 6 months.

I have some ideas in mind for future videos and projects which I look forward to sharing with you.

Thanks for your support!
Ivan

Thanks for posting Ivan you deserve all this support great job on a great song looking forward to the tabs

Top Bottom