Thread: NUD: Cordoba 15sm Sporano

Default NUD: Cordoba 15sm Sporano

So, I recorded this week's Seasons of the Ukulele (106 - George Harrison - sound sample) on my new Cordoba 15sm Soprano uke. I was asked to give a little review by this week's host Shady Wilbury. So, here it is.

Firstly I want to say why I was in the market for a soprano uke. I have a Luna concert Tattoo and a Leolani tenor that are strung with a low G. I wanted to get a soprano for that traditional ukulele sound for those roaring twenties style songs and more traditional Hawaiian tunes.

There is a Grandma's Music near me that has a small selection of ukes, so I went in and started sampling the goods on the wall. I tried a Kala but didn't like the tone and the neck wasn't comfortable. Then I tried a Gretsch which to me wasn't made well at all, used cheap parts and couldn't stay in tune for even a few seconds. They also had those Makala's with the dolphin bridge but those didn't interest me at all. Then I picked up the Cordoba 15sm and was amazed by the feel of the neck from the start, it was so smooth and perfectly sized for me. I strummed her and she was perfectly in tune without the tiniest turns of the machines. She was beautiful and her tone sang out to me. It was exactly what I was looking for and in my price range too ($89.00.) I saw a Cordoba 20sm hanging there on the wall for about $140.00 and thought that it must sound even better than this one so I picked it up and to my absolute wonder I hated it. It didn't feel right in my hands, the construction wasn't very good at all and it was just... well, I don't know, blah. So, I put it down and went back to the 15sm. I wasn't able to purchase that day so I went home and surfed for other, better ukes in that price range for a few months but I always found myself going back to the 15sm. Finally, my wife purchased one from Amazon for me and it came perfectly setup, with Aquila strings (high G), a beautiful satin finish with a nice abalone rosette. The machines work well and hold a tuning perfectly.

It's nice having a uke strung with a high G that I can just pull out and start playing. If you're in the market for a sweet soprano in the $90.00 range, I highly recommend that you at least pick up the Cordoba 15sm and try it. The bright tone sings out and the quality construction really makes for a great low price ukulele. If you're looking to upgrade form that first uke in the $40.00 range but you're on a budget like me then this is a great uke to at least consider.

I hope that this was helpful and sorry if I rambled.

Here's a pic:
    Cordoba 15sm.jpg
    Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and enjoy my videos Here

Really nice review, thanks very much. It's quite amazing that companies are managing to produce instruments that please to this degree for such low prices. As i understand it 5 - 10 years ago, finding a decent (and occasionally excellent) sounding, low cost instrument was nigh on impossible. Today we are almost spoiled...
    Bill

I have the 15cm and am very happy with it. I got mine at HMS so it was setup properly. I think its a great value and a very good starter uke.

I played a 15CM at a local Guitar Center, and was quite impressed with the sound and workmanship. My wife has a 20TM, and the $99 15CM is definitely something to look at. They didn't have the soprano version...

ENJOY!!!

Thanks for the great comments on this review and sorry if I threw any ones favorite uke under the bus.
    Subscribe to my YouTube Channel and enjoy my videos Here

Thread Information