Guild of American Luthiers

afreiki

Reaction score
Anyone belong to the GAL? I have discovered it right in my backyard. Their convention is July 23-27. I am planning on attending, and wonder if any of you will be there. Could possibly put someone up and share driving.
Anne Flynn - University Place, WA

I have never been but have wanted to go for the past 15 years but something always came up. This year I am seriously thinking about it. Especially because this year will be the first time the ukulele has a "formal" (ie: planned ahead of time by the GAL) listening session. There was an "informal" (ie: impromptu, people at the conference made it happen) listening session in 2011. Might be a good opportunity to see and hear a whole bunch of ukuleles played by a professional musician. There also seems to be a bunch of ukulele builders featured for talks too. Might be a good year to witness the ukulele getting some respect (for lack of a better word) internationally. I have heard that a professional ukulele player will be playing in one of the evening performances too. I believe this is the first time an ukulele player has been invited to play during one of those GAL planned evening sessions. So lots of firsts for the ukulele at this years guild. That's what I've heard through through the coconut wireless about this years GAL.

Ukuleles were prominently featured last time the GAL convention was held 4 years ago. I am invited to be on a discussion panel about ukuleles this year but it looks like I have scheduling conflicts. Ukes will definitely be in the spotlight this year.

BTW, a subscription to the GAL magazine is a must for any serious builders. Wanna catch up on the back issues? Buy any one of the Big Red Books. Enough reading in there to last you a life time.

I will be there. First joined the GAL in 1988. Their conventions are not to be missed, but be sure to bring money to buy wood. In 2011, I bought a large stack of Engelmann spruce guitar tops from Lawrence Smart for $50 because he did not want to haul them back to Idaho. All were air dried for over 20 years and a few were bear claw.
Bradford

You should make every effort to get to a convention. I have been to three over the years and booked the airline ticket for this one already. I am even spending a couple of days in Hawaii on the way back to do a little uke research ;)

The convention is four days which will load enough ideas into your head to keep you thinking for months.

cheers

Top Bottom