Genuine gut strings

Skinny Money McGee

Reaction score
I want to try a set of genuine gut strings on a concert scale banjo uke. Anyone know where I could get a set for that scale size?

They need to be about 30inches or 76cm long to be able to tie from the end plate to the furthest tuner post.

Aquila makes them for soprano scale, but not anything larger that I know of. I've sent Mimmo a private message, but not sure how often he checks his messages.

There's a place in the UK that makes them 25inches or 63cm long, which would be a little too short.

Actually, you might look for a stray goat or sheep.

And, yes, I have tried the Clifford Essex strings, and they are quite nice.

-Steve

The order page does say:
Length - 30 Inches - 76 cm

The sound produced by our genuine pure gut strings is very clear and full bodied, excellent sustain and a warm response.

Will fit most standard scale length ukulele-banjos and concert ukuleles

Which strings from Gamut did you buy? Would have no idea where to start selecting custom strings. http://www.gamutstrings.com

I use the classical guitar strings, e-1 light or medium tension for the a and low g; b-2 light or medium tension for the e and c. And I tune up very slowly. I used the Aquila guts once and they broke immediately. Gamut are much superior.

I use the classical guitar strings, e-1 light or medium tension for the a and low g; b-2 light or medium tension for the e and c. And I tune up very slowly. I used the Aquila guts once and they broke immediately. Gamut are much superior.

Thanks Bill. I've never used real gut strings before. Are this less stretchy then nylon or flouros?

I'm also going to order a couple sets of the Essex that Koa suggested, if they take paypal.

Thanks Bill. I've never used real gut strings before. Are this less stretchy then nylon or flouros?

I'm also going to order a couple sets of the Essex that Koa suggested, if they take paypal.

Your welcome. "Less stretchy" is a good way to put it so go slowly tuning up to pitch.

Top Bottom