Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southcoast Classic metal strings

Default Southcoast Classic metal strings

I just put on a set of Dirks (southcoast) Classic Metal strings, HML-CM, on my Webber baritone. They're a steel string, very thin tuned to Bb.

Dang, I thought they would be faunky but they really ring out and feel silky smooth.

I had been missing the steel string sound and was contemplating buying a tenor guitar, may still do that, but these strings sure come close to the sound I was looking for.

I wish Southcoast would come out with a hi tensioned linear G stringset but understand why he doesn't. It's all about the resonance factor. These CM's sure have that factor.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 02-27-2014 at 09:40 PM.

I am really tempted to give these a try. I'm just afraid that if I like them, I will be compelled to buy another ukulele just to have one strung with metal strings.
    Thou Shalt Not.

I've been meaning to try these...in the meantime, I was perusing the internet and found a reference to "tenor guitar with ukulele tuning". I'd been missing the steel string sound so I bought a Blueridge tenor ($300-350?) to give it a try. Really like it and it's a big hit at the uke jams...I can finally hear myself!
    Talking to a guitar builder in my area here about a steel string tenor ukulele. He's going to make a sort of plain jane "prototype" model to try out the concept, Engleman and some exotic combo. Hope to keep the cost to less than $1200.

I own a couple tenor guitars and love them.

My guitar quota was reached years ago... although I am moving to a larger house, so maybe a tenor guitar might go unnoticed by "she who rules the nest."
    Thou Shalt Not.

much love for southcoast strings!

I've had some on my Kala Archtop for two years. They're great and so is south coast's Dirk.

They don't hurt the neck; they feel like regular strings but sound like metal.

Here are the SC Metals on a Kanilea K1 Deluxe, before and after samples compared to a linear set I build from Savarez and Fremont.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrTr2qsQcuo
    I'm a huge fan of the metals.

Cheers,
    Keep on Uke'n!
    Jay
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JayUkulele/videos
    https://bandhub.com/ukulelejay#/collabs
    --------------------------------------------------
    "I only need just one more..." final last words to wife.

Southcoast strings are the best I've ever had on my ukulele. Never tried the steel set but I love my 2 wound strings with the trebles, I can't see myself changing too soon.

Great demo, thanks for sharing.

Thread Information