Midlife crisis Uke?

PTOEguy

Reaction score
I'm turning forty in a few months and was wondering what an appropriate mid-life crisis ukulele is. For a start it should be cheaper than buying a sports car...and I've already started saving my money.

Here's what I'm considering:

1. Mya Moe - I grew up in Washington, so I'd probably get their cascade series woods. I'm most interested in a pineapple, with either concert or tenor size, either all myrtle, or maple with a cedar top. My concern is that there's a lot of variables there - I could easily make silly decisions and wind up with something that is not to my taste.

2. Blackbird Clara - I've seen glowing reviews, I can buy from a local store and its durable. I like the pineapple shape, but I'm waffling a little on concert vs. tenor size.

3. Godin MultiUke - the advantage on this one is price. I've already got an amp, and this one gets great reviews for the feel, sound and playability.

4. Koaloha - I've really liked what I've read and heard online - probably leaning towards a concert model of some type.

So - I'm interested in input on both which of these ukes people have played and liked, but also which is best balm for the realization that its all down hill from here :)

I have 3 KoAlohas and a myamoe among others... And, I love the KoAlohas but to be honest any time I perform and most timed I video I reach for the Mya moe and if you live within driving distance all the better Gordon, Char and Aaron are known spend an hour with a buyer who travels to pick up the instrument.

The Mya-moe is the closest Uke in my collection that approaches the quality of my classical guitar. The sound is sweet, clear and while not overly loud each note sings...

You can check out both KoAlohas and the Mya-moe in some of the videos I've posted on my youtube channel (see my sig).

Good list you've started. I've played the Clara and several Koaloha (I like the Super Concert the best out of the Koaloha line) and they're both quite nice. Another make you might want to consider at just under $1K is Covered Bridge out of Oregon.

Look forward to hearing what you decide.

I have a KoAloha pineapple l/n. I love it, but not in an everyday kind of way. Sounds very bright. I've played the Clara and it makes me drool. Sounds big and warm. Love the durability aspect too.

Can't comment on the others for lack of experience.

BTW. It's not a crisis purchase. It's an achievement award. Cheaper than a Porsche and safer than dames.

My mid-life-crisis ukuleles were a Koaloha concert and a Mya-moe tenor. They were both excellent instruments. But, for what it's worth, I still have the Koaloha. I didn't like the radiused fret board or the tenor scale. But, you can't really go wrong with these two choices unless you order the wrong instrument (like I did).

Mid-life crisis? I'm all over the Kinnard :) Just one more to consider...
Bill

I have a Kanile'a (dream uke). Also love Ko'Aloha (though I don't think their quality control is a patch on others).

I own the Godin too - its a sublime uke - BUT - only buy that if you are performing plugged in. The acoustic sound is quiet.

Doesn't matter so much what it is. Just go to Hawaii to pick it up! :nana:

Doesn't matter so much what it is. Just go to Hawaii to pick it up! :nana:

Excellent suggestion, brother Ukemunga.

Although meeting Gordon and Char and Aaron would be keen, getting a uke in Hawaii, from the builder/seller directly, and trying out on the spot before buying, is hard to beat.

That said, I'd get the Mya Moe. lol

Turning 40 hit me like a ton of bricks, as in I couldn't go outside that day! I sat around checking my pulse. Treat yourself to the finest. ;)

I turned 50 a couple years ago, and treated myself to this:
image.jpg

The car didn't cost very much at all, and my tweed uke case looks cool in the tiny back seat. You certainly can't fit a human back there, so I'm assuming it's for ukes and harmonicas...LOL!

I sold my mid-life crisis car last year after an eight year stint with it and don't miss it in the least. It was great while I had it, but it was time to move on. In those eight years I only put 15,000 miles on it. I spent more time washing and waxing it than driving it! :)

As for your uke choice, I would go with the Mya Moe. KoAloha concerts are the best, but isn't a mid-life crisis somewhat about excess?

Dana, that car is a chic magnet. It's the sweetest looking Pontiac Solstice I have seen, with those fancy mag wheels and such. Sorry that you had to sell it. Good mid-life crisis buy, though.

(One puts gasoline into the front passenger side fender?)

Dana, that car is a chic magnet. It's the sweetest looking Pontiac Solstice I have seen, with those fancy mag wheels and such. Sorry that you had to sell it. Good mid-life crisis buy, though.

Ha Ha. Yes Steve, that's where the gas goes. Hi test, of course!

Out of the original choices the Mya Moe is good not just for the instrument but the experience as well. It's cool to pick your options and wood sets and watch the build progress. A new MM would take more than a year though so it might miss your birthday. The Godin would be good for plugging in and feeling young, but you can get any of the other instruments with a pickup too.

What a fun decision to make and a great excuse for a new ukulele. I will use that too in a few years. The more ukuleles I own the more I am realizing the my KoAloha soprano is the perfect uke for me. It is so easy to play and sounds amazing. And it is definitely more versatile than my other ukes. It just works for everything. But since all KoAlohas look the same (aside from wood grain) it does seem a little less special than custom ukes and I sometimes cherish is less accordingly. It's a looks vs function thing.

All that being said I liked the Kinnard suggestion. Never played one but they are gorgeous.

I don't know if you're kidding, but that's a Porsche Boxster. My wife and I put 10,000 miles on my convertible in the first year. ;)

I've been thinking about it, and since it's not my money, get something from Chuck Moore. :)

P.S. We're not just fair weather convertible nuts... Just nuts:

image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom