The “Cricket” Violin, by the Magic Fluke company, A Personal Review…

Olarte

Reaction score
As I promised a few days ago, here are my first impressions and a review...

The “Cricket” Violin, by the Magic Fluke company, A Personal in-depth Review...

While not a ukulele, I think you will find this review very interestsing... So read on...

If you like my review and video please spread the word and leave a comment, specially on youtube so others can benefit from the work I put into it.

How I found out about the Cricket Violin from the Fluke Company, and how I returned to Violin after a 37 year absence!

For a full in-depth written review of the Cricket Violin: http://wp.me/pPLRh-8O

For a photography gallery of the Cricket Violin: http://500px.com/IvanOlarte/sets/cricket_violin

For a 15 minute Video Review & Demo: http://youtu.be/vtDSYnDynsw

Last edited:
The “Cricket” Violin, by the Magic Fluke company, A Personal Review...

If you like my review and video please spread the word and leave a comment, specially on youtube so others can benefit from the work I put into it.

How I found out about the Cricket Violin from the Fluke Company, and how I returned to Violin after a 37 year absence!

For a full written review of the Cricket Violin: http://wp.me/pPLRh-8O

For a photography gallery of the Cricket Violin: http://500px.com/IvanOlarte/sets/cricket_violin

For a 15 minute Video Review & Demo: http://youtu.be/vtDSYnDynsw

Hi Ivan,

Thank you so much for doing this very thorough and comprehensive review and making the video.

You've definitely shown what this instrument is, and I commend you for playing it well enough, despite being out of practice, as I do not know if I could be as brave as you.

I have not touched a violin since I was 7 yrs old, but since it was my first instrument starting from when I was 5 yrs old, I've always wanted to come back to it, now 38 yrs later it seems like the time is right.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share. Now I guess we have a new term, VAS, for V)iolin A)cquisition S)yndrome, and it starts with the Cricket Violin. Ha Ha!

So I am going to add this to my wish list and start saving up for this one.

You have paved the way my brother, and I am sure there will be others besides me who will follow...

Much KUDOS to you!

-Booli

Hey Booli thanks for the comments. Please leave a comment on youtube if you can.

If this sparks your interest in returning to the violin, then the effort I put in over the last 24 hours to do the indepth review was well worth it.

I hope that my example shows that you will probably have similar results as me, in that what you learned as a child is still there. I was surprised that my brain and my muscle memory remembered do much...

By the way I wanted to point out. The pictures on the written review on my blog are high res pictures So if you want to look at the violin in detail just click on the pictures you ate interested and zoom In.

Glad you liked my work.

Ivan

Last edited:
Hey Booli thanks for the comments. Please leave a comment on youtube if you can.

If this sparks your interest in returning to the violin, then the effort I put in over the last 24 hours to do the indepth review was well worth it.

I hope that my example shows that you will probably have similar results as me, in that what you learned as a child is still there. I was surprised that my brain and my muscle memory remembered do much...

By the way I wanted to point out. The pictures on the written review on my blog are high res pictures So if you want to look at the violin in detail just click on the pictures you ate interested and zoom In.

Glad you liked my work.

Ivan
Hi Ivan,

You are most welcome.

When I first saw information in the videos from Summer NAMM 2013 about this coming out, my interest was first sparked, and I have thought about it from time to time since then.

I had also seen a few blips on the radar here on UU about it, since of course the Magic Fluke Company makes excellent instruments and has such a well-deserved and loyal following.

However, it was not until seeing it in your hands in your video that I realized that I do not have to go on a massive quest to find 'the instrument' for me to return to the violin, THIS is it: The Cricket.

When I buy this, I will probably never buy another violin afterwards, and like you said, this is something you might buy 'for life' and I am confident that The Magic Fluke's instruments will survive beyond me and get handed down to future generations, much the same way folks talk of vintage Gibson and Martin instruments that were passed down in their family nowadays.

My concert Flea and tenor Fluke are my most prized ukuleles, and while some may prefer to spend $1,000 or $5,000 on another custom instrument from all the favorites here, unless it has BETTER intonation than a Flea or Fluke, I'm simply not interested.

Unless it's both manufactured and assembled in the USA, I'm also not interested. The same kind of criteria applies to a possible violin purchase.

If by some magic stroke of fortune I could afford to buy a true and real Stradivari, and I actually did so, I'd be afraid to play it, and it would end up in a humidified vault until I died and it got passed on to someone else. The Cricket Violin is made with such high precision, yet it is a commodity-level instrument and easily replaced from Magic Fluke Company if god-forbid it got damaged beyond repair.

Conversely, If you had a Stradivari that needed repair, you have to take another mortgage on your house to pay for the repairs.

In a different thread somebody said that life is to short not to indulge in the luxury if it is available to you, but I find luxury in living simply, and not worrying about collecting extravagant things that will not be functional or useful to me.

I find no pleasure in silk/satin sheets or a $500 pair of shoes (yes I've owned both), but others enjoy these things and I do not judge them.

The Cricket Violin is both functional and useful, while also representing forward-thinking in design and construction with an eye towards something more modern, without disrespecting the history of the instrument.

It is also affordable to the average joe, and by the reputation of The Magic Fluke company with their ukuleles, my hands-on experience (which is confirmed by at least a couple hundred other UU members) with the high quality, playability and tone, I would expect that you are getting a very good value for the money.

I just checked their web site again, and with pegheds, the bow, and the pickup it comes to $553. I think this is a GREAT price for what it is, and should you go off and price traditional wooden violins that are comparative, you are going to spend at LEAST a month doing research, and maybe not find something that will satisfy this quest.

The Cricket Violin is an easy choice to make given my experience.

Ivan, thank you for confirming my initial impressions.

I also wanted to commend you for your excellent review on your blog.

It is one of the most well written, balanced and comprehensive reviews I have ever read (and I read LOTS and LOTS of reviews), and from someone who not only has such a deep and abiding love for music, and a love for the instruments he plays, but you can really see that music is such a part of your soul and how important it is to you.

You should be proud to have documented this, and I applaud your efforts. Damn, even *I* feel proud seeing it - ha ha!

I hope that you show all of this work to The Magic Fluke company.

They should know how much their efforts are appreciated by folks like us, even if only to keep them motivated to keep doing the good work that they have always done.

-Booli

Dear Booli, thank you for your kind comments, and for taking the time to expand on my review with your well though out discussion about violins.

This is exactly why I took this on as a "journalistic" project. I could only fine the one video about the cricket so I felt compelled to pay it forward (for the countless time I have found valuable information online and youtube for other products that I have researched).

In fact I think it was one or two UU members who were just as curious as I was that asked and motivated me to contribute with my impressions of the cricket. Well my impressions were so positive, and the folks at Magic Fluke were so kind that I simply had to do the best job I could to provide an honest and thorough review of my experiences with their products and their service.

I'm very glad to read your comments and could not agree more.

Thank you for your sharing your thoughtful comments on the youtube channel.

The additional comments you wrote above certainly expand on my initial review and I would to see theses added to my blog post.

Would you be so kind as to copy and pasting the comments from your last post as a comment on my blog review? I thin other readers of my review would benefit greatly from your additional comments and confirmation of my findings.

You are absolutely right about the quality and consistency of the flea and the fluke, in fact I chose the flea for my last youtube video a video instrumental of Mr. Bojangles because it's simply that good.

I highly recommend the cricket as you can see, including the Peghed tuners. As for the pickup, or the now kit. I only recommend those if you have any plans and know that you will use the pickup some day, and it you already have a decent working violin bow.

Thanks again.
Ivan Olarte

Ps. I had started working on a blog post about nail care and what works for me. I will be posting that in the next few days as well.

Last edited:
Nice Job Ivan! It's hard to believe that you haven't played in 35 years… Like you say, it's just like riding a bike… you never forget...

Thanks to all for your support and for taking the time to appreciate and comment on my humble efforts.

Here is an update for you...

Update: Just found this video from Namm 2014 with Phyllis one of the owners of the Magic Fluke she talks about this years new models as well as the wonderful Cricket Violin. You can check it out here

Thanks for introducing us to such a wonderful little violin! Amazing after so many years, to pick it back up again and sound great!!!!! Thanks again for sharing!

Thanks Nancy, I don't know about great *blushing* but I must admit I was happily surprised that I could play at all.

It's absolutely true that by the time I recorded this I had less than 30 minutes on the violin, and before that I had been around 15 the last time I played one.

anyway, thank you so much for your kind comments and your support. I'm happy you enjoyed my review.

Have a wonderful day!

Ivan

Nice to see you went "whole hog" on your order. I'll be very interested in your sister's take on the cricket, considering she's a professional.

Having just messed around with some grover 4b tuners I wonder how well those would fit into the cricket. Getting them into the fluke was an exercise in gymnastics. The cricket headstock is narrower but the tuners look to be offset. While I'm sure the pegheads are really nice I could certainly live with high end normal friction tuners.

In their email to me they mentioned that they should be releasing a case for the cricket in the next 2 months or so.

So I do need to find out, is there anything wrong with a 7 or 8 year old starting out on a full sized violin?

Hi Bnolsen,

yes I'm very happy I went "whole hog". From past experiences I know I won't regret the initial extra investment.

I hear what you're saying about the tuners. I mentioned it in my review. Grover tuners are fine, however I do prefer the mechanics of Pegheds, and in particular for a violin as to me FINE tuning is even more critical with a violin, and the bonus is Pegheds look like true quality violin pegs.

Yes a case is coming and I'll be waiting to get it, and will update the review accordingly.

As for size, I would imaging someone that young needs a 1/2 or 3/4 at sized violin at most. As holding a violin properly is an exercise in "yoga" to begin with, and the instrument really needs to fit the person properly. The investment in purchasing and\or renting a child sized violin is well worth considering, as is getting a trained professional teacher. Otherwise you risk doing more harm than good.. even dampening any initial interest if using the instrument ends up in discomfort instead of enjoyment.

Here's an update... After 5 days with my wonderful little cricket...

I found that once a violinist always a violinist. I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to play as if I had been studying it recently for at least 2-3 years after 37 years.

Granted my playing was horrible and out of tune, but I felt I had decent technique, posture and felt right at home....

Since then I have compared it to my old violin which has 3 old strings and you know what the old violin of course sounds better, louder etc. But then again it was a good violin 37 years ago... I'm waiting for strings and might do a follow up to compare the sound with the cricket...

Same with the bow.. It works but come on a 26$ bow is equivalent to a dolphin Uke at best... I found a used/new $300 Glaser carbon fiber bow at amazon for $80 which is on its way to me... That too I'm sure will make a big difference in my playing.

In any case I would encourage anyone vaguely interested who studied as a child to, definitely give the cricket a try...

For me I plan to play both the cricket and my old violin which I found after the fact. And either way I'm forever grateful to MFC, for it's the cricket that made me even think, contemplate then return to the violin which I now realized I missed so much. Besides that like the fluke or flea, the cricket would be the violin I would want to take on the road for its durability, and nice full sound...

I've been very happy since I got it and feel strangely like "I'm finally home".

Last edited:
thanks for the advice regarding the bow, etc. Stupid uneducated me. Didn't realize violins use steel/metallic strings. I guess I could see how geared tuners could help there. viols use strings extracted from dead animals.

thanks for the advice regarding the bow, etc. Stupid uneducated me. Didn't realize violins use steel/metallic strings. I guess I could see how geared tuners could help there. viols use strings extracted from dead animals.

Ivan,

I've just been thinking about this...

Do you have a link for a site that discusses the different types and styles of bows, as well as the composition of different materials of the 'bow hairs'? Or is there just one single standard, and they are all made the same (probably not, but you never know)?

I'd also like to check out the current thinking on Rosin, and if anything has changed in 35 yrs or not...ha ha...

Also, how do you know if your bow is too tight or too loose when you turn the rod at the end?

-Booli

Last edited:
Not really Booli, I guess I've been googling around. I saw a few reviews of bows and glassed stood out as one of the best brands. (Which my sister confirmed)

Horse hair is definitely the standard on all bows the difference is in the weight, balance, type of wood, whether the adjusting screw is smooth, silver and leather wrapping Etc. I had settled doe a $70 glasser then found the $300 one from amazon for $85!

It's a wood carbon composite which means it has an outer shell which present warping etc.

Other sources are http://www.violinist.com

And the violin geek podcast.

Thank you Ivan!! This is a wonderful in-depth review. I appreciate your detailed verbal description; as a blind musician I appreciate that others love photos, but for me audio is king. Same with your written review, very detailed. I played violin once too, at least 10 years ago... If I play again, this will be the violin for me. Thank you again, you've put so much work and heart into this and it is appreciated!

BTW the cricket sounds at the beginning of the video? Nice touch, made me laugh. :) Great work!!

Peaceweaver3 thank you for your kind comments. I'm especially glad that I did do an audio/video review and that in this way I was able to share my findings with you.

It's comments like yours and supporters like you who will keep me motivated to jot down my ramblings into some cohesive order so I can share what I find with others.

I'm working on my next essay about nail care which I plan to publish sometime next week.

I look forward to hear the you and others have given a violin a second chance...

Warm regards,
Ivan

Thank you Ivan!! This is a wonderful in-depth review. I appreciate your detailed verbal description; as a blind musician I appreciate that others love photos, but for me audio is king. Same with your written review, very detailed. I played violin once too, at least 10 years ago... If I play again, this will be the violin for me. Thank you again, you've put so much work and heart into this and it is appreciated!

BTW the cricket sounds at the beginning of the video? Nice touch, made me laugh. :) Great work!!

Last edited:
Hey Ivan,

Once you get your violin-playing wheels lubricated - I've got a request for you...

How about a duet with yourself on your Fluke and Cricket, for a song like:

Fur Elise

Pachelbel's Canon

Over The Rainbow

With those songs there's lots of harmonic context and musical space whereby the Cricket could do the melody, and Fluke could do the accompaniment, and you might even be able to work in some counterpoint, depending upon how you arrange the voicing for the chords on the Fluke...

just a thought...no worries if you have something else in mind :)

Booli

Hey Ivan,

Once you get your violin-playing wheels lubricated - I've got a request for you...

How about a duet with yourself on your Fluke and Cricket, for a song like:

...snip...

With those songs there's lots of harmonic context and musical space whereby the Cricket could do the melody, and Fluke could do the accompaniment, and you might even be able to work in some counterpoint, depending upon how you arrange the voicing for the chords on the Fluke...

Considering he's got almost the whole family he should do a family song...and find someone with a fluke SB to do fillin.

Top Bottom