Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Highlighting Fluke frets.

Question Highlighting Fluke frets.

I have both a Fluke with a plastic and wood fretboard. The wood is in Low G and the plastic in High G, so I find them both useful. As a beginner however I find that the wood with its easy to see frets is a lot more fun to play. I have thought of painting the frets so they can be easily seen but am not sure what to use that would hold up to constant play. I'm hoping someone here has tackled this problem successfully and is willing to share their secret.

Ice...I used a permanent silver sharpie to highlight mine. You could use gold color if thats a preference.
    Easy, clean, and durable. Mine hasn't worn off but if it does, I'll just retouch as needed.
    "Everyone I know who is into ukulele is crackers, so get yourself a few and enjoy yourselves" - George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Simian View Post
    I just took a silver sharpie and put dot markers on the side of all my Fleas and Flukes.
    That's a good idea - side markers are much more useful than front markers. If you're playing with good posture you really shouldn't be able to see the front markers, well, anyway!

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I did that and wore it off fairly quickly. Didn't like the idea of my fingers absorbing all that crap. I was hoping for something more permanent. I may contact the folk at Magic Fluke and see what they have to say.

I put super thin stickers on the fretboards of a couple of my ukes. I've also used stickers for side markers.

I used a bronze colored sharpie. It's holding up so far, but with a lot of play it will probably wear off. Luckily it is easy to touch up the frets without even having to remove strings.

Quote Originally Posted by SailQwest View Post
    I put super thin stickers on the fretboards of a couple of my ukes. I've also used stickers for side markers.
    Now that's one I hadn't thought of. Thanks

I used a white 'paint-pen' that is an oil-based paint to put side-markers on my lava concert Flea with the plastic fretboard 2 months ago, and if you let it cure for about 3 hrs and dont touch it, it ain't gonna rub off onto your hands. On mine I would not paint the frets.

I play this uke every day and there's no sign of wear to the dots I put on.

Funny thing is that I hardly look at the frets now unless I am learning a new chord...

The 'paint-pens' are more fixed/adhered to the surface than a sharpie, and they have an ENAMEL finish, which gives a nice glossy dot. I had originally made the side marks with a sharpie, which eventually got rubbed off, and sharpie ink is easily removed with either rubbing alcohol (which is a solvent for the ink)...
    Guinea proverb: "A cow that has no tail should not try to chase away flies."

Another vote for silver sharpie on my fret dots and on the side of the neck. When they wear down I just add more. Perfect match for the factory dots.
    I'd rather be plucking at a ukulele on a faraway beach. I was not a soft-leather-Italian-shoe kind of man. I was a flip-flop man.
    J. Maarten Troost

I used a white 'paint-pen' that is an oil-based paint to put side-markers
    OK I'll try that. As a beginner I need to take a peek now an then. Down the road it won't matter that much but I do prefer my Fluke with the wood fretboard.

Thread Information