View Poll Results: Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fluke ukulele

105 49.07%
  • Flea ukulele

135 63.08%
  • Firefly banjo ukulele

48 22.43%
  • Fluke SB solid-body electric ukulele

5 2.34%
  • Cricket Violin

3 1.40%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

1) What do I have: The Koa Fluke with wooden fretboard and pegheds.

2) Why did I buy it?
    Looks and reviews.

3) What do I like/hate:
    I adore the looks, and the tone and sustain - this is probably the best sounding ukulele I have.
    I am not fond of the neck shape and the slippery back. Playing it makes me appreciate figure 8 shapes. It helped that I crafted a special strap for it, but still a bit slippery. The lack of sharp corners on the backside means less controlled for me, even if the strap prevents it from sliding, it still might tilt a bit around it's axis.

4) Not planning on buying more.

5) If lost I am not sure I would get a new. Rather experiment, hoping to find that one uke to rule them all. With the sound of my fluke in a uke with a less chunky headstock and better grip.
    Last edited by UkingViking; 01-07-2019 at 03:17 AM.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

One question -- I have a tenor fluke with the standard plastic fretboard. Is it safe to use a capo on this ukulele?

Thanks.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by lhamilton View Post
    One question -- I have a tenor fluke with the standard plastic fretboard. Is it safe to use a capo on this ukulele?

Thanks.

Linda
    Probably best to give the folks at Magic Flea a call and just ask.

Linda, if you are concerned about whether the capo might cause some kind of damage to the plastic fretboard, I think you'll be fine, as they're pretty rugged; I certainly don't disagree with Aquatopaz's advice, though...

On the spec sheet, they list available laminate tops as hoop pine, walnut or mahogany, with solid spruce or koa as options.
    So, for example, on a Flea or Fluke which comes with a lam walnut top, is there any discernible difference in sound, compared to the hoop pine, which more Fleas/Flukes seem to have? I wouldn't expect so, but just curious about that.

Magic Fluke specs.jpg
    John

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    I am not fond of the neck shape and the slippery back. Playing it makes me appreciate figure 8 shapes. It helped that I crafted a special strap for it, but still a bit slippery. The lack of sharp corners on the backside means less controlled for me, even if the strap prevents it from sliding, it still might tilt a bit around it's axis.
    A few weeks ago I bought a used walnut Fluke with plastic fretboard from the Marketplace for $150 shipped. The leader of my group, Cali Rose is good friends with Magic Fluke and has a few herself, plus a few members of the group have them. I wanted a beater uke and was looking at buying a new one when the used one came up and I jumped on it.

Turns out the friction tuners were not holding so I tightened the screws, which makes it more difficult to tune, and the saddle was completely wrong, but I contacted Magic Fluke and they sent me three different heights for $10 shipped, that was good of them. I also don't like the depth of the neck, too thick and fatigues my thumb when I play, which I also attribute to the curve on the body that allows the Fluke to rotate towards me. You mentioning a special strap, maybe I'll try combining a standard strap with a classical style that goes in the bottom of the sound hole, interesting.

I would only use the Fluke for quick practice or to knock around, not when I rehearse with my groups and certainly not for gigs, I have much better ukes for that.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
    • Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video
    Last edited by kohanmike; 02-01-2019 at 09:39 PM.

I tightened my tuner screws to a couple of strings and though they were dufficult to turn at the start, they were soon fine and I've found the strings are staying in tune longer now and that the tuners seem a bit more sensitive than they did at the start and easier to use for tuning.

I'm using the strap I bought from Fluke and like it. I find though that the body is apt to slip around a bit and to turn towards me at times and use a piece of rubberized nonslip cloth under it and have a small rolled up piece of the cloth I occasionally put between me and the top of the uke if it seems prone to turning that day.

----
    Thanks, Aquatopaz and Bill for the advice re: the capo!

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by kohanmike View Post

Turns out the friction tuners were not holding so I tightened the screws, which makes it more difficult to tune, and the saddle was completely wrong, but I contacted Magic Fluke and they sent me three different heights for $10 shipped, that was good of them. I also don't like the depth of the neck, to thick and fatigues my thumb when I play, which I also attribute to the curve on the body that allows the Fluke to rotate towards me. You mentioning a special strap, maybe I'll try combining a standard strap with a classical style that goes in the bottom of the sound hole, interesting.

1) What do I have: recently grabbed a standard concert Flea, in walnut finish. Had a concert Fluke in the past, but never bonded with the shape.

2) Why did I buy it?
    Only have sops and tenors now, wanted a durable, maintenance-free concert that I could leave out all the time, with no humidity worries. I also have a quality laminate soprano, but even with that one, I worry about fret sprout from low winter humidity, and I've found it difficult to get rid of fret sprout without filing the fret ends.

3) What do I like/dislike:

Like: the looks of the dark walnut neck, headstock and soundboard. Of all the standard available finishes, I find the walnut color to be the closest looking to a traditional wooden pineapple uke. Good intonation, action, sounds great and is loud. Also like the built-in plastic hook at the neck/body joint on the back, allowing strap attachment. Just need to add either a strap pin or cable-tie thingy to attach the strap at the bottom/side.

Dislike: invisible frets. Some physical limitations prevent me from playing accurately without seeing the frets. I may end up highlighting the frets with a silver Sharpie. Tuners seem ok, if they bug me I'll add fiber washers or change to the better Grover 6b friction tuners. I've found that MF ukes stay in tune very well, once the strings have settled in.

Did not get a case or bag with it, but was happy to find that the concert Flea fits fine in my Kaces soprano gig bag, with just enough room at the top to slide in in comfortably. These are nice gig bags, cheap, well padded and compact, with shoulder strap, easily fits in a large backpack.

BTW, just noticed that 2019 will be MF's 20th anniversary, yet...no anniversary model! What gives? Probably too busy already to bother.

20190207_132923.jpg
    20190207_111432.jpg
    20190207_111346.jpg
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 02-07-2019 at 08:33 AM.
    John

Thread Information