View Poll Results: Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fluke ukulele

100 49.75%
  • Flea ukulele

126 62.69%
  • Firefly banjo ukulele

46 22.89%
  • Fluke SB solid-body electric ukulele

4 1.99%
  • Cricket Violin

3 1.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

I am really new to ukes and before I really knew what I wanted I picked up a Flea soprano on an auction for a great price. When it arrived I realized it had some moisture damage especially in the tuner area. The tuners were rusted. I had thought it was just dirt in the pictures. Being the crafty person I am I figured I had nothing to lose by giving it a beauty make-over.

I decided on aqua and coral stain. The coral stain didn't work out as well as I hoped but it does "mask" some of the grayed wood. You can see from the image that it appears to be bleeding. The damaged area seemed to have sucked up the stain and decreased as it got closer to the healthier wood near the body. And of course the fret board popped off before I started staining. (I think it must have been kept in storage, not temp controlled.) I coated the stained wood with 3 coats of satin finish. I added a couple "tattoos" for interest, although the one above the nut is going to have to go as it isn't centered. Drives me nuts (LOL, so puny). I ordered white Grover tuners so I could stain them for more color. A few drops of alcohol ink and they came out just as I imagined.

I finished it up today and started practicing. I really like it so far! The chords seem easier to me. I've included the before and after pics. It is by far not perfect but it is perfectly for me. Not sure why the last 2 are sideways?

630897158145141.JPG
    20180305_162849.jpg
    20180305_162927.jpg

I really like the way the Grover tuners look!

Thank you!

Really nice work there Tstarky!
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

@ Tstarky -

I absolutely love what you did here and how you made it your own, while also 'making a silk purse from a sow's ear' as my grandmother used to say...

The colors are almost like a reversed sunburst/fade and I've never seen anything done exactly like that before, just wonderful. I applaud and admire your skill in doing this make-over.

I am a big fan of the traditional 'tobacco sunburst' on guitars, but it seems so common nowadays....

Quote Originally Posted by tstarky View Post
    ... I ordered white Grover tuners so I could stain them for more color. A few drops of alcohol ink and they came out just as I imagined...
    This too looks AMAZING to me. I'd love to learn how to do this with the white plastic tuner buttons, as I have a few ukes I'd like to customize the tuner colors.

Is there a web site or YT video that can show the method? Or if not, are you able to give us the steps of the process?

In any case, this is a wonderful project and strongly appeals to my own sense of DIY.

Kudos to you! Job well done!
    This FAQ link will help you learn about:
    - Magic Fluke Company ukes
    - Pickups, Preamps and Impedance Mismatch
    - Home Recording and Mics
    - String Upgrades
    - iPad Microphones
    - Wolfelele Uke Kit
    - How to string a Baritone uke as a piccolo bass
    - Strings I used for GDAE and CGDA fifths tunings

Quote Originally Posted by maki66 View Post
    Really nice work there Tstarky!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    @ Tstarky -

This too looks AMAZING to me. I'd love to learn how to do this with the white plastic tuner buttons, as I have a few ukes I'd like to customize the tuner colors.

Is there a web site or YT video that can show the method? Or if not, are you able to give us the steps of the process?

In any case, this is a wonderful project and strongly appeals to my own sense of DIY.

Kudos to you! Job well done!
    Thanks Booli!

Here is a link to basic alcohol ink technique:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KbNWkzZFQg

I used 2-3 drops of the main color of ink on the corner of the stamper and 1 drop of minor color (I used stream and citrus). I also add 1 drop of the alcohol blender at the same time and then just blotted (don't rub) the entire peg. I used a q-tip with the blender on areas I wanted to add a little more "splashy" look. Also, the q-tip works great for the nooks and crannies (a drop of each color and blender) and just jabbed it to get the ink to spread. This stuff dries really fast. The best thing is if you don't like it, clean it off with rubbing alcohol and start over. If you have some old white dominoes you can use them for practice to get the look/color you like.

I lightly sprayed a matte clear coating over them by punching holes in cardboard and inserting the tuner through the hole with the peg dangling downward. A second light coating after the first dried. When I first installed them they felt very slightly tacky but it was gone by the time I got it tuned.

If you don't want to invest in the inks, youtube has several tutes on making your own. You can make your own felt dabber in any size using self stick velcro, felt and a wooden dowel.

Took me more time to get the color combo the way I wanted it then it did to color the pegs.

This looks wonderful! Congrats on your Flea upcyle!
    Cocobolo Pineapple #1
    Ohana Sopranissimo
    Maccaferri Islander
    Harmony Soprano
    D. Heilman ULO #7 Concert
    Mainland Cedar Baritone
    Kala Elite Custom Lebanese Cedar Tenor
    Kanilea K-1 SC
    Bonanza Retro Mint Pear Tenor
    Druid Moon Koa Tenor
    Primrose Cedar/Maple Soprano
    Flea Lava Soprano

Cocobolo Cedar Top Tenor
    1933 Martin 1K Soprano

I just picked up a used Firefly M90 concert, #5xxx at a very good price.
    I found it on Craigslist in San Diego, after another member posted his amazing find I started looking harder in areas further out.
    This is a stunningly beautiful instrument with all the MFC bells and whistles;
    Wood fret board
    Peghead tuners
    Pick up
    This one is just about new in the box. My first banjolele!
    I'm having fun trying clawhammer.
    NUD!!!!
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by OhioBelle View Post
    This looks wonderful! Congrats on your Flea upcyle!
    Thank you!

Thread Information