The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

• Total voters
Sounds great, Maki !! I (and Booli too) have swapped out the friction pegs on Flukes and Fleas, for the Grover geared pegs (or even the very inexpensive Kmise brand with the "classical"-looking buttons), a couple of times in the past, and it's definitely "doable". The funny thing is, in each instance I eventually put the original friction pegs back on! I think I may have concluded that the original frictions are just so much a part of the "vibe" of a Fluke or Flea, that I actually began to miss them! And over time, I have (little-by-little) become more adept at working with the frictions confidently and effectively, especially in the area of tweaking the screw tightness so that they're snug enough to hold tuning securely, but not not overly tight; and I think that has something to do with it too. As others have pointed out, it's a good idea, when fine-tuning with friction pegs, to automatically back the peg down a little bit first, and then bring the note up to the desired pitch. Of course we all have our preferences and enjoy exploring these things; good luck on your switch-out!

Hello,

I began my ukulele journey about two years ago after deciding that my 6 year quest to get back into bass guitar playing just wasn't working out. I tried revisiting classical guitars, but that didn't stick either. When I bought my first uke, I was working from home and had many opportunities to pick it up and play while "attending" conference calls. Since early 2018, I wasn't able to practice as much due to no more working from home so practicing meant isolating myself from the nightly marital bliss of shared distracted TV watching.

Decided to put the uke up for sale in the marketplace, and researched solid ukes for a few weeks before selecting the MFC Solid Body Tenor in Low G. I'm practicing more, using a EH Headphone Amp and also bought a Vox Mini3 G2 for when I might try to place for others.

Now, after taking the Fluke along for several trailer campouts, I'm wondering if I might buy a second uke for leaving in the trailer rather than toting the Fluke SB around and then possibly having to carry the amp and cable outside. Thinking of a Fluke Tenor...

So, question is: How durable is the wooden fretboard and laminate top to the heat and humidity found in southeast Texas? Will I have issues with warping or laminate separation with repeated exposure to the elements? I'm not considering leaving it outside or anything but possible leaving locked up in trailer between trips.

1. What do I have? Fluke SB Tenor Strung low G.

2. Why did I buy it? Wanted a great quality, professionally crafted, mostly silent instrument - bonus that it's made in USA!

3. What do I like/hate? No hate here! I like everything about it so far - mainly that it doesn't use batteries since the MiSi pickup has a rechargeable capacitor.

4. Plan to buy another? Maybe a regular acoustic Fluke Tenor

5. Replace? I hope to not have to replace - I'm 56, so this will become something to pass down. MFC was very accommodating with my request to add a custom logo on the back that I created with help from my daughter and her husband.
The logo represents my Cayman Islands heritage and love for music.

View attachment 114500

Last edited:
Hi,

I got my Fluke Tenor a couple of months ago.

1) What you got? Fluke Tenor High G

2) Why did you buy it? I liked the look of it and the sound and read good things about the intonation -- which was bothering me on my Luna soprano

3) Tell me what you like about it, and what you hate about it? I like the look, tone and intonation. I'm having mild difficulty with the slipperiness of the fretboard on the high A -- occasionally the string slips off the fretboard. I also found the strings a bit unresponsive and switched them to aquila super nylgut which I like. I've also bought a Fluke strap since I find this ukulele a bit slippery to hold -- but no more than my soprano.

4) Tell me if you plan to buy another and why? I'd like to also have a concert firefly and possibly someday a fluke tenor that I'd fit with a low G

5) If it got stolen, lost or damaged would you replace it immediately? Yes.

Linda

Great company but

MOD EDIT: I've removed a strange, out of context quote that I suspect this poster may have included accidentally.

The people at Flea Market Music are the most helpful and responsive anyone could hope for. That said, I did get a chance to play one prior to ordering one and found the sound dead. Granted, I am not a great player and the salesman did manage to make it sound good. However, I want an instrument I can enjoy the sound of even with my limited skills. I rate sound by playing individual notes and listsening to the sound and sustain. The fleas have incredibly limited sustain, even the Koa models. My $100 solid Ammoon has more purity and musicality to the individual notes. My solid Ohana pineapple Sopranissimo, despite its diminutive size, blows the flea away in purity and clarity of notes and sustain. To me, these instruments are a huge disappointment. I would consider gifting one because of the great designs to someone whose ear can't tell the difference, but I NEED a better sound from the notes. I think the lack of depth in notes and lack of sustain may be why some of us are underwhelmed by the Fleas.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) What do I have: The Koa Fluke with wooden fretboard and pegheds.

2) Why did I buy it?
Looks and reviews.

3) What do I like/hate:
I adore the looks, and the tone and sustain - this is probably the best sounding ukulele I have.
I am not fond of the neck shape and the slippery back. Playing it makes me appreciate figure 8 shapes. It helped that I crafted a special strap for it, but still a bit slippery. The lack of sharp corners on the backside means less controlled for me, even if the strap prevents it from sliding, it still might tilt a bit around it's axis.

4) Not planning on buying more.

5) If lost I am not sure I would get a new. Rather experiment, hoping to find that one uke to rule them all. With the sound of my fluke in a uke with a less chunky headstock and better grip.

Last edited:
One question -- I have a tenor fluke with the standard plastic fretboard. Is it safe to use a capo on this ukulele?

Thanks.

Linda

One question -- I have a tenor fluke with the standard plastic fretboard. Is it safe to use a capo on this ukulele?

Thanks.

Linda

Probably best to give the folks at Magic Flea a call and just ask.

Linda, if you are concerned about whether the capo might cause some kind of damage to the plastic fretboard, I think you'll be fine, as they're pretty rugged; I certainly don't disagree with Aquatopaz's advice, though...

I am not fond of the neck shape and the slippery back. Playing it makes me appreciate figure 8 shapes. It helped that I crafted a special strap for it, but still a bit slippery. The lack of sharp corners on the backside means less controlled for me, even if the strap prevents it from sliding, it still might tilt a bit around it's axis.
A few weeks ago I bought a used walnut Fluke with plastic fretboard from the Marketplace for $150 shipped. The leader of my group, Cali Rose is good friends with Magic Fluke and has a few herself, plus a few members of the group have them. I wanted a beater uke and was looking at buying a new one when the used one came up and I jumped on it.

Turns out the friction tuners were not holding so I tightened the screws, which makes it more difficult to tune, and the saddle was completely wrong, but I contacted Magic Fluke and they sent me three different heights for $10 shipped, that was good of them. I also don't like the depth of the neck, too thick and fatigues my thumb when I play, which I also attribute to the curve on the body that allows the Fluke to rotate towards me. You mentioning a special strap, maybe I'll try combining a standard strap with a classical style that goes in the bottom of the sound hole, interesting.

I would only use the Fluke for quick practice or to knock around, not when I rehearse with my groups and certainly not for gigs, I have much better ukes for that.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video

Last edited:
I tightened my tuner screws to a couple of strings and though they were dufficult to turn at the start, they were soon fine and I've found the strings are staying in tune longer now and that the tuners seem a bit more sensitive than they did at the start and easier to use for tuning.

I'm using the strap I bought from Fluke and like it. I find though that the body is apt to slip around a bit and to turn towards me at times and use a piece of rubberized nonslip cloth under it and have a small rolled up piece of the cloth I occasionally put between me and the top of the uke if it seems prone to turning that day.

----
Thanks, Aquatopaz and Bill for the advice re: the capo!

Linda

Turns out the friction tuners were not holding so I tightened the screws, which makes it more difficult to tune, and the saddle was completely wrong, but I contacted Magic Fluke and they sent me three different heights for $10 shipped, that was good of them. I also don't like the depth of the neck, to thick and fatigues my thumb when I play, which I also attribute to the curve on the body that allows the Fluke to rotate towards me. You mentioning a special strap, maybe I'll try combining a standard strap with a classical style that goes in the bottom of the sound hole, interesting.

Anybody have the side sound port and how do they like it? would love to hear the difference between the 2. A dremel would certainly make short work of the DIY method. :D

Anybody have the side sound port and how do they like it? would love to hear the difference between the 2. A dremel would certainly make short work of the DIY method. :D

Yes! I ordered a Fluke with the Ford Woodie print on the top, wooden fretboard, and side hole. I suppose there is more sound coming toward the player, but aside from appearance, I doubt there is a major difference. It was available, so I got it. As for a DIY project, I've been tempted to try it on a cheap uke, but I wouldn't use a Dremel. I'd probably drill some holes and then use a hand saw and a file to finish it.

Came to show some Fluke appreciation! Bought this fluke off use ichadwick back in 2008 I believe. This thing is absolutely incredible. Its always just sat on a coffee table within reach for the past 11 years so its been through some serious shenanigans and thousands of hours of use. Its never sat for any real length of time and its always gotten play. If anyones ever in doubt about getting a plastic fretboard its been 11 years and mine only has tiny grooves where the strings press down and they dont change the sound at all. Also you dont notice them unless you look super close. Its gotten pretty discoloured over the years hence the stickers. This uke still sounds incredible even after taking an incredible beating. Much love for the Fluke!!

Attachments

• 15508590474534773962920069583032.jpg
    15508590474534773962920069583032.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 62
A followup on my Fluke experience. I added a strap button to the end of the fluke and the heal of the neck, as I do with all my ukes when necessary, but I placed it near the upper edge (when in playing position), which exacerbated the rotating problem. In analyzing, I realized I should have put the button on the lower side of the bottom, which works much better now.

Fluke strap button.JPG

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

A Tale of 2 Fleas:

I recently compared my walnut concert Flea to a standard concert Flea with hardwood fingerboard and metal frets.

To me, the differences were:

Walnut Flea top is a different laminate than the standard hoop pine top, I assume it's a laminate of walnut instead :rolleyes:. The walnut top is slightly thinner at 2mm, while the standard hoop pine is about 2.5mm.

The frets on the walnut Flea with standard plastic fingerboard are lower, .6mm, the metal frets on the hardwood fingerboard are slightly higher at .9mm. The metal frets are obviously easier to see (which I like), and feel more like a standard wooden uke than the plastic frets, a more familiar feel to me.

They also sound slightly different, both with Martin M600 strings. The walnut with plastic fingerboard seems slightly warmer/richer, with more mids, while the other with hoop pine top and wooden fingerboard sounds clearer, had more jangle and bark, more soprano sounding. The added mids on the walnut sound slightly louder, but I think volumes are about equal, just slightly different tones. Both good, just different. I'm not sure if the difference in sound is mostly due to the top material/thickness, or possibly also the different fingerboard materials, flouro on plastic vs flouro on metal. I hope this is helpful to someone here considering a Flea or Fluke.

Last edited:
Just an FYI in case you all had not seen it yet - fellow UU brother BazMaz has a review on the Fluke SB solid body electric uke with the full write-up on his web site and video demo as well...

Review (don't miss the video, at the end of the written review):
https://www.gotaukulele.com/2019/07/magic-fluke-sb20-solid-electric-ukulele.html

UU thread:
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...ic-Fluke-SB-Solid-Body-Electro-Tenor-REVIEWED

Good to see you posting again Booli!

Top Bottom