The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

• Total voters
This reminds me, I want to get a Fluke. I have a concert Flea that I haven’t played in far too long. But I think I need a Fluke in my life. Looks cool, and if it sounds as good as the Flea, well all the better…

This reminds me, I want to get a Fluke. I have a concert Flea that I haven’t played in far too long. But I think I need a Fluke in my life. Looks cool, and if it sounds as good as the Flea, well all the better…
I want a tenor Fluke. Sort of. Not enough to pay much for one. I just like the looks of them.

Edited to add that I'd rather not buy a new one, because of the whole plastic thing. I'd feel much more (environmentally) happy if I were able to find a used one in decent condition. I'm keeping my eyes open.

Last edited:
They are a nice playing instrument- great action and intonation, tone is well balanced and they are great to take anywhere with no worries

Plastic only bothers me for stuff that I treat as disposable, I don’t expect my Flea to be added to a landfill any time soon.

I love the laser etching and printing technology that the Magic Fluke Company has, their gallery of custom examples is pretty awesome. That’s my secret dream, deciding what to print would be the hardest part.

They tend to have a deeper and richer sound because the body is larger. Go for it!

They tend to have a deeper and richer sound because the body is larger. Go for it!
much better sound for the Fluke the tenor than the concert ? more versatile also for different styles of playing?
(here one hesitating between both two...). thanks!

Fluke tenor and concert use the same body, but a different neck to achieve the different scale lengths. I’d choose based on which scale I liked to play, I don’t think you could hear the difference (with the same brand strings and toneboard material).

Fluke tenor and concert use the same body, but a different neck to achieve the different scale lengths. I’d choose based on which scale I liked to play, I don’t think you could hear the difference (with the same brand strings and toneboard material).
Do you refer to scale C, F, etc? (sorry, newbie here). I am interested in Blues if it serves to answer.... thanks...

Ah, sorry, in the ukulele world, I refer to different string lengths as having different “scale lengths”, which are commonly soprano (maybe 13” strings from where they start at the top of the fretboard to where they contact the saddle on the body), concert (~15” scale length), tenor (~17” scale), and baritone (19” or bigger). While most builders make the body sizes larger as the scale length gets longer, not all do. Magic fluke really only has two bodies, the Flea body is slightly smaller than the Fluke body, and you can get a Flea with necks for either the soprano or concert scales, or a Fluke with necks for either a concert or a tenor. A larger body might have a slightly fuller sound, but to be honest when I play my Flea next to another players Fluke I cannot tell much difference. If you’ve played a guitar, you might be happiest with the tenor’s longer scale, otherwise you have to experiment to find a size that suits you. I like sopranos just because I have a very small RV and townhouse, and smaller is better for me.

Regarding musical scales, the common gCEA tuning can be used to play in any musical scale once you learn the chords and notes on the fretboard, some being easier than others, so you will see a lot of songs transposed to keys of C, G or D, sometimes F or A. But you can play any of the others once you learn them.

Regarding musical scales, the common gCEA tuning can be used to play in any musical scale once you learn the chords and notes on the fretboard, some being easier than others, so you will see a lot of songs transposed to keys of C, G or D, sometimes F or A. But you can play any of the others once you learn them.
many thanks for all the info!.

Dang! Trying to figure out why I love my Fluke so much when I have "nicer" ukes lying around. I love the barky sound, the way it sets in my arm, the feel of the neck, the portability (played it everywhere from Walt Disney World to Amish country) and anyone who sees it asks: what is THAT? I'm dreaming of selling the other ukes and getting a fully tricked out Fluke made (Koa wood, pickup, geared tuners, wood fretboard, side fret markers). Am I nuts?
your Fluke concert or tenor? Just curious.... ;) here trying to decide the size....

your Fluke concert or tenor? Just curious.... ;) here trying to decide the size....

Deciding on scale length is a matter of personal preference, as there's no real difference in the sound produced between a concert and a tenor, imo.

My Fluke is a concert size, though I have a tenor Fluke on order (so, somebody please buy the Soprano Flea I have for sale here (hint, hint))! As noted above, size is a personal preference. The concert strings may be lower in tension. Maybe. Just go with whatever you feel comfortable with. I normally play tenors but found the concert Fluke to be really nice to play.

Top Bottom