View Poll Results: Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

Voters
238. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fluke ukulele

118 49.58%
  • Flea ukulele

144 60.50%
  • Firefly banjo ukulele

51 21.43%
  • Fluke SB solid-body electric ukulele

6 2.52%
  • Cricket Violin

4 1.68%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829

Thread: The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Dunno if this was posted already, but saw this vid comparing 3 concert Fleas: 1 with standard hoop pine top, 1 with solid koa, and 1 with spruce. What differences, if any, do you hear?
    On my PC speakers (which are the limiting factor here) I'm getting more sustain and warmer tone on the koa. Brighter initial attack but a quick falloff on the spruce. And a comparatively muffled sound on the laminate. However, that confirms my prejudices going in, so perhaps I am hearing my expectations more than any actual differences.

Can't tell anything for sure unless you hear it in person. But until I can get my hands on all of these, the video is useful for fueling my UAS. Thanks (?) for posting it.

Dunno if this was posted already, but saw this vid comparing 3 concert Fleas: 1 with standard hoop pine top, 1 with solid koa, and 1 with spruce. What differences, if any, do you hear?

Wow. Quite interesting. Liked the Koa the best. I wonder if a sound comparison with plastic vs wooden fretboard would show a difference. I've heard, though I do't know f it's true, that the wood on a fretboard affects tone, so plastic vs wood should too. Since only the laminate has a choice, it would be nice to have that included in the comparison so that all 4 options would be represented.

Thanks for posting this!

I think that the Koa top has a more even balance to the tone, meaning equal parts bass, mid-range and treble, than the Hoop Pine top, and that the Spruce top has a slightly brighter tone, with a little more "sparkle" and has a little more shimmer and is a bit more 3-dimensional in the overall sound.

Having said that, I am still playing my basic Lava concert Flea, strung with Oasis bright high-g fluoro strings and I am very happy with it's sound for many many years now.
    -Joe......Have uke, will travel...

1.) What do I have: 1. The standard hoop pine natural concert Flea with plastic fretboard. 2. The laminate walnut concert Fluke with wooden fretboard. 3. The Koa tenor fluke with wooden fretboard and Peghead tuners

2.) Why did I buy it: 1. I live in very arid climate and had several wooden ukuleles that were taking too much time keeping "watered" regularly. Had an Ovation guitar that I loved. Decided to venture into Flea and Fluke territory after playing a friends. Bought all of mine used for good pricing. Plus gotta love "made in the USA"

3.) What do I like/hate: Hate the plastic fretboard on the Flea. Hard to see the frets. Got old eyes!! Problem solved with the Neck Illusion vinyl fret covers. Added a vinyl sound hole Madela and now it rocks! Sound is not as sweet as the Flukes - may be due to body shape, sound board material and/or plastic fretboard. As to the Flukes, love the sounds!!! Both are really sweet to my ears with Worth Browns and low G Fremont Soloist. Down side is the neck and sharp corners of the body. Width and spacing of the strings at the neck a bit too wide for comfortable chord melody with my smaller hands. Plus is not as standard as other ukuleles so going back and forth between instruments challenging. Sharp edge of the body compensated by wearing a wrap on my forearm to blunt the effect. As for straps, I use a clear command hook on the back of mine so they still stand up alone. The strip hold pretty good but even is it comes loose the darn ukuleles are so tough it doesn't seem to harm them when they hit the floor!

4.) Would I buy another: Probably not at this point unless one were lost or stolen. If so, I would get a Koa top concert Flea. It's neck size works just a tad better for me and the sharp edge issue is not there. That said, I would be concerned the smaller body size of the Flea might change the sound compared to the Koa tenor Fluke and the mahogany concert fluke. That Fluke body size makes a difference I am sure.

Would post pictures if I knew how!

Quote Originally Posted by pgavery View Post
    Hate the plastic fretboard on the Flea. Hard to see the frets. Got old eyes!! Problem solved with the Neck Illusion vinyl fret covers.
    I did the same. Impressed with how durable they are too.

IMG_20191110_181041-01.jpg
    "If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself left alone. A man, Sir, should keep his friendship in constant repair." - Samuel Johnson

I genuinely miss my Flea that I sold to a UU member. The reason was that it just didn't get enough play time so I don't regret it as such but I really love the design of Fleas and Flukes. Perhaps someday I'll get one with some upgrades, maybe a hardwood fretboard and/or solid top.

What do I like/hate: Hate the plastic fretboard on the Flea. Hard to see the frets. Got old eyes!! Problem solved with the Neck Illusion vinyl fret covers. Added a vinyl sound hole Madela and now it rocks!
    Yes, I agree about the plastic fretboard. They should standardize on wood. I replaced three of the plastics and covered some others with Neck Illusions or my own designs. Is a madela that backward-S cutout?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    Is a madela that backward-S cutout?
    A mandela is a round lacy type doily with a hole in the center. I put it around the sound hole.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/175454...posted-public/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pgavery; 09-27-2020 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUATOPAZ View Post
    Wow. Quite interesting. Liked the Koa the best. I wonder if a sound comparison with plastic vs wooden fretboard would show a difference. I've heard, though I do't know f it's true, that the wood on a fretboard affects tone, so plastic vs wood should too. Since only the laminate has a choice, it would be nice to have that included in the comparison so that all 4 options would be represented.
    I do prefer the feel of the wooden fretboard. Years ago I knew someone who had the plastic board swapped for the wooden one and I swear it sounded different. Perhaps I was more colored by the feel, not sure. The regular sounds great, but the koa and spruce are a definite step up. I have played the koa ones and think they sound great. I never had the opportunity to try the spruce but have often thought that since the body seems to naturally have a somewhat mellower or warmer tone the spruce might be a great mix.

A mandela is a round lacy type doily with a hole in the center. I put it around the sound hole.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/175454...posted-public/
    Very nice.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information