The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

• Total voters
Interesting thread. My first uke was a baritone, which I still play and love but I wanted to venture out into the world of little ukes for several reasons..feel and comfort of a smaller body and fretboard(easier to stretch for some chords), the portability, and of course, the voice. I was attracted to the flea because of the durability, since this might be my take everywhere uke. The variety of designs was a cute plus.
Looking into them further, I found them a little too pricey for my budget, so I looked into used fleas and got an excellent buy on a concert pineapple design flea with standard tuners and plastic fretboard.
I've had it now for a couple of years and still love it. I now have fancier custom ukes but the flea still gets played regularly. In fact, it sits so conveniently on its flat little bottom on the table near my couch that it gets picked up frequently for a quick strum when the spirit moves me (during a commercial). It's my go to uke for camping, boating and the beach and it's the uke that I let beginners or kids play, without having to worry about damage. I have no problem with the plastic fretboard, especially since my uke does occasionally get wet. I don't really look at the fretboard when I play, so being all one color is not an issue for me. I don't really have any negative thoughts about the flea..but...I am not overly fond of the friction tuners. I just find they can be a little temperamental. Right now my E wants to slip, and if I tighten the screw it becomes too stiff to adjust (no middle ground). Booli, I'm gonna look intro the suggestion about washers. I'm not very mechanical and don't usually fiddle with my ukes, but this seemed doable. The only other thing is that the edge of the body sometimes annoys my strumming arm. It's just a little sharper edge than my other ukes, and being a little slippery (I know I could put tape on back) and no strap, I guess I clutch it a little more with my right arm and after a long time playing, I have a crease in my arm.
BUT, it's all good and I would not get rid of my flea. It fills an important niche in my uke family. I don't feel the need to have another flea or fluke but I do have a hankering for their banjolele (some time in the future, if I can find a good bargain used).
If lost, I would definitely replace it. I can't think of another uke that would fill its shoes better (for my purposes).

1. What you got?
    Ukelyptus Concert Flea (M-42) w/ BBand pickup, stringed with Living Water Strings (for the time being I prefer fluoros over Aquila). It replaced a buzzing natural concert (never found the reason for the buzz but fortunately got a full refund from the shop)
    Had a Fluke for a couple of days but didn't like the balalaika shape of it - the fuller sound couldn't compensate for that.
  2. Why did you buy it?
    • don't remember, I guess the rigid construction was one reason
    • Intonation and low action (zero fret) might have been another
    • BBand tuner was added mainly for the integrated tuner (one less piece to worry about)
    • Ukelyptus is the best matching colorwhen going on board with my Flea :cool:
  3. Tell me what you like about it, and what you hate about it?
    see above. Action and intonation are spot on, sound is loud and clear - and did we mention that it stands on its own?
    MFC has a great customer support, they were extremely helpful making my decision.
    Never had any trouble with the direct tuners, the only slight disadvantage are the almost invisible frets on the moulded fretboard. But I need my eyes for the songsheet anyway, there's not much time for staring at my left hand... Muscle memory helps a lot in that respect. And I added some side markers with a white paint marker.
    There's one "cosmetic" complaint about the headstock design: the outer strings don't run freely from nut to peg, they slightly touch the edge of the headstock "window". Not that it affects usability in any way, it just would look better if strings ran free (IMHO)
    flea_headstock_strings.jpg
  4. Tell me if you plan to buy another and why?
    No. I'm satisfied with the one I have - and I have enough ukes anyway (see signature)
  5. If it got stolen, lost or damaged would you replace it immediately?
    Most probably yes, one should have at least one Flea in da house...
Flea_M-42_IMGP0279.jpgIMGP0243-Large.jpgFlea M-40 Concert.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a difference in sound between individual flukes like there can be between the same models of traditional ukes. I was on the fence about the tone of most flukes and fleas I've tried, ok but does not move me. I then played a particular concert Surfboard fluke that really got my attention. There were no other flukes to play against but side by side to other traditional concerts in the store I liked it. I revisited this fluke a few days ago and went to two other stores and played some other flukes and fleas, nothing sounded as good to me, not even close.

To all you MFC experts have you noticed much difference between individual instruments.

Last edited:
Is there a difference in sound between individual flukes like there can be between the same models of traditional ukes. I was on the fence about the tone of most flukes and fleas I've tried, ok but does not move me. I then played a particular concert Surfboard fluke that really got my attention. There were no other flukes to play against but side by side to other traditional concerts in the store I liked it. I revisited this fluke a few days ago and went to two other stores and played some other flukes and fleas, nothing sounded as good to me, not even close.

To all you MFC experts have you noticed much difference between individual instruments.

I don't really care for their design honestly.
I think a funky design is cool for an electric solid body
but for acoustics i really prefer the 'classic' or traditional
figure 8 style body. The head stock on the fluke also isn't
to my taste either. As for the sound, i can't really say i'd have to play one.

I don't really care for their design honestly.
I think a funky design is cool for an electric solid body
but for acoustics i really prefer the 'classic' or traditional
figure 8 style body. The head stock on the fluke also isn't
to my taste either. As for the sound, i can't really say i'd have to play one.

I appreciate that you have personal tastes but none of the above answered my question, which was all about the sound. Which was stated before as below

" To all you MFC experts is there much difference in tone between individual instruments"

I think there is having now owned a couple. My fluke tenor with wood fretboard seems to have a beautifully rich tone and the concert length in plastic seems to be lighter and more chimey if that makes any sense. I vastly prefer the wood tenor but love both. It does really well in a low G tuning.

Anyone put up this video yet? I didn;t see it, but if redundant, it's for a good cause. :) Nice video of a good company.

I like their green, environmentally friendly bent, but let's be real here: if we toured the injection-molding plant in Connecticut that makes, essentially, the entire ukulele, I think we'd see the poisonous elephant in the room (I have a buddy that owns a plastics company that makes bottles for Walmart...put on your hazmat suit before the tour!)

But, it is a cute store where the ukes are assembled. A pastoral, New England gift shop for ukuleles.

Jim Beloff really deserves a lot of credit for helping start the current craze for ukuleles, plus he's a really nice guy.

That's certainly true, Mike. Yes.

I'm no expert but to my ear all the Fleas and Flukes that I've owned have sounded basically the same. Most of the tonal differences I've heard come from what strings are on it. Currently most of my Fleas have Oasis bright high G's or Martin strings. The ones strung with Oasis' are much more chimey, the ones with Martins a bit more mid-rangey. My green Flea soprano has the new GHS flurocarbons tuned to D. It's already a bit muddy sounding so the GHS', while good strings, don't help that much. I'll be putting some Oasis high G's on her when I can muster up the gumption to do so, i.e. I'm feeling lazy and don't want to do it.

I never played one, but I often wondered if they sound the same. Do the wooden fretboard and plastic fretboard sound the same (I assume they do, but just thought I'd ask since you have many, Cap.)

1. Bark cloth Tiki King Flea concert neck with plastic fretboard, strung with Martin M600 strings.
2. Wanted a sturdy 'ukulele for car and travel.
3. It delivers what it promised. OK tone. Sturdy construction. Quirky design.

Flea Market Music sent me a replacement tuner for free when I broke one going through airport security in Hamilton, Australia 3 days from the end of the trip. Frankly I think my family was glad it broke.

You get exactly what you pay for with a Flea or a Fluke.

1) What you got?

Tenor Koa Fluke (rosewood fretboard & Pegheds)
Tie Dye Concert Flea (rosewood fretboard & Lucy's tuners)
Soprano Firefly (walnut fretboard & Pegheds)
Aloha Red Concert Flea (rosewood fretboard) my wife's Uke

2) Why did you buy it?

Fell in love with the design, the tone, the feel, the look and the integrity, attitude and dedication of the folks that make them.

3) Tell me what you like about it, and what you hate about it?

There really is nothing about these instruments that I don't like.

4) Tell me if you plan to buy another and why?

I have serious UAS for a soprano Flea, possibly the Surf design. Why? ...Why not?

5) If it got stolen, lost or damaged would you replace it immediately?

Absolutely!

IMG_0223.jpg

Scooter

Last edited:
Finally read this whole thread, and am glad to see I'm not alone in my appreciation of instruments that so many people just don't seem to catch on to.
It started with a concert Fluke in the Abstract design, plastic fretboard, way back when they only offered the plastic board. This was for my wife, and we had never owned a ukulele...she just liked the look, and I did also. When it arrived, I tuned it (I am a guitar guy), and when I tried it, I was hooked.
I didn't want to hoard her uke, so I ended up ordering a tenor, which by then offered a wooden board. It fell out of a canoe and survived just fine.
Over the years, I got more hooked and did a lot of trading. We still have the original Fluke, a red Flea with plastic board, and a Firefly, #17 with wooden fretboard.P1040529.jpg

I appreciate fine instruments in solid woods, and my current best uke is such, but I still love the unique sound of Flukes & Fleas, and
I am on the prowl for a used Tenor Fluke with K & K pickup and wooden fretboard.....if there is one out there waiting for a new owner....

My first uke was a Fluke concert. I bought it around 1999-2000. I live in Conn. and they were originally made here. I was in a store that only sells items made in Conn. My wife grew up in Honolulu so buying was an easy choice. I cut my teeth on that instrument. I don't play it too much these days as I graduated to a Kamaka Tenor. I've been thinking of buying the Fluke Tenor. They have moved their operation to Sheffield, Mass. It's only an hour from where I live and I've been planning on taking a ride up there next week.

1. Flea Natural Soprano. Basic tuners and fretboard.
2. Bought it based on reviews here at UU.
3. So far I like the low action, great playability, weight and shape, and tone. I have yet to find a dislike.
4. I may buy another for variety. The natural is nice, but I could use a walnut, banana, tiki, or surf model as well.
5. I'd replace it as soon as financially possible if lost or stolen.

002_zpsdad410de.jpg

Just recieved my Tiki Concert Flea earlier this week. Intonation and action are spot on, as expected. I'll probably try some new strings eventually, since I'd like some that are a bit brighter. I bought it directly from the factory as a 2nd (blem is in the upper right in photo) and had them install the grip strips. I highly recommend the grip strips! I'll look to add something similar to the rest of the ukes in the family. Anyhow, all in all, I'm very pleased with the Flea (and already thinking about a Tenor Fluke)!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 67
Got my Fluke 20 minutes ago!

My Stripe Tenor Fluke just arrived from a fellow UUer!
It already has the grip strips, so I just need to add the strap or maybe get a Uke Leash.
It also has the transducer pickup, so one day I will have to get an amp to play around with.

I picked up some Aquila Reds and Worth Clears, both with low G. Will be trying those out very soon.

Love that bright plucky sound!

Attachments

• Fluke.jpg
    Fluke.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 60
Just recieved my Tiki Concert Flea earlier this week. Intonation and action are spot on, as expected. I'll probably try some new strings eventually, since I'd like some that are a bit brighter. I bought it directly from the factory as a 2nd (blem is in the upper right in photo) and had them install the grip strips. I highly recommend the grip strips! I'll look to add something similar to the rest of the ukes in the family. Anyhow, all in all, I'm very pleased with the Flea (and already thinking about a Tenor Fluke)!

That is my all time favourite graphic, Tiki King on the flea. Makes me want to buy a flea, though I prefer the fluke body thatTiki King flea rules. Just makes me want to throw some M&M's in that mouth.

Top Bottom