The Magic Fluke Company Appreciation thread

Which Magic Fluke Company instruments do you own?

• Total voters
Just bought a Tenor Fluke, plastic fret board and standard friction tuners. I'm used to geared tunes so will wait and see how I like stock tuners on Fluke. Back on page 5 of this thread, there is mention of Gotoh Stealth tuners and I looked them up. Very small and lightweight. It was unclear...... but did ScooterD35 put Gotoh Stealth on a Fluke? If so, I'd love to see pictures. There is a You Tube Video of a guy changing out the friction tuners on his Fluke for generic Grover type open geared tuners. When job was done it looked fine. He did have to filing and cuts to make them fit. I can't find width of Stealth tuners but am curious as they look like they may just go on stock. AT $89.00 for Stealth vrs $69.00 for Pegheds.... wondering what most people think of the two. I was tempted to put Pegheds on my order! Comments?

Just bought a Tenor Fluke, plastic fret board and standard friction tuners. I'm used to geared tunes so will wait and see how I like stock tuners on Fluke. Back on page 5 of this thread, there is mention of Gotoh Stealth tuners and I looked them up. Very small and lightweight. It was unclear...... but did ScooterD35 put Gotoh Stealth on a Fluke? If so, I'd love to see pictures. There is a You Tube Video of a guy changing out the friction tuners on his Fluke for generic Grover type open geared tuners. When job was done it looked fine. He did have to filing and cuts to make them fit. I can't find width of Stealth tuners but am curious as they look like they may just go on stock. AT $89.00 for Stealth vrs $69.00 for Pegheds.... wondering what most people think of the two. I was tempted to put Pegheds on my order! Comments?

I jut got my Fluke with stock tuners yesterday. I'm used to geared as well so it was a strange feeling using the friction. They are hard to turn and make a huge tuning change at the slightest movement. I changed the strings, which may have helped me get used to the tuners, but they seem OK now. Definitely stay put. A benefit was I didn't need a crank to restring since several turns by band did the job.
Personally I don't see a need to add $70 tuners if these work well. Just have to get used to them.

I'm definitely going to give the stock tuners a chance. I wouldn't change without a good trial. I do like to tinker but I like to play more. Excited to try the Fluke.
Cheers

I greatly appreciate the Magic Fluke Company. My daughter had to stay in Cincinnati Children's Hospital for a week in April. A music therapist came in with his guitar to play, and several little drums and other instruments my daughter couldn't hurt banging around on. After he finished with his session, he asked if I would be intereseted in having an instrument if I played. I, of course, asked if they had any ukes. He said that they had some really tough ones that were donated by a company a few years back.

What he brought looked for the world like a flea. But it had another name in the soundhole. But in tiny writing on the edge of the label, it said a product of the magic fluke company. Wood top, hard plastic back, and molded fretboard. It was a tenor, and it played like a dream. It had little divots out of the wood, but it was awesome. I loved it. If I get a chance, and ever have the money, I'm buying a flea. And I'm an owner of some very high end ukes. But this little flea impressed me immensley.

As does the company for donating instruments to such worthy causes, so the children (and their families) in these hospitals might have entertainment. Thanks to you Magic Fluke Company.

I did not put Gotoh Stealth tuners on my Fluke (I've never even had the opportunity to try them).

My tenor Fluke and my Firefly were both purchased used and came with Pegheds. While they are excellent tuners, it's pretty unlikely that I would spend $70 for the upgrade on a new instrument. The stock Grover's on Magic Fluke instruments are just fine.

Scooter

Thanks for clarification and comment Scooter. I am going to try to be patient for my new Fluke to arrive and then get to know it a bit. I couldn't justify the $69 upgrade to pedheds myself without ever trying them so I went stock and we will see where this takes me. The Fluke was to be my take anywhere uke so I went all stock.

Oh dear a slightly negative voice.....well not entirely....I recently decided to buy a new Banjo-Uke and took a sickle ride off to my local shop ....not a good idea taking a motor bike to buy a banjo !! still...the chap in the shop offered me a choice of several ....including a Firefly.......well the sound was amazing ...loud ,barking and gorgeous.....but to an old fart like me it did not feel right ....it was too light ...it would not nestle and moved around in my arms (I do not use a strap)throughout various strokes....and it had a plastic (bleah) fretboard....with plastic frets..(augh)- as you can see, I studied at the Charles Schultz academy of writing vocal expressions) ......I then tried a Kala and it was like my old Banjo uke...solid, heavy and real.....and sounded great....the sales chappy and I had a good long chat and a bit of a jam ...he said that he would prefer the Firefly ....I said this " It sounds beautiful. No question ... but it has a fret board that only it's mother could love and I could never find it in me to get involved with it..it is too lightweight ...it is a seriously good instrument but it is not choosing me ..the Kala "fits" ..Both machines were in the £200 region and I took the Kala home...

PS
I see that for an extra something or other $ or £ 70 you can get a Firefly with a wooden fretboard ........hmmmm that would help but no guarantee.....

Quick question for you flea/fluke owners with the plastic fretboard. I just got my flea about 3 weeks ago and I noticed today, when trying to bend notes for the first time, that I get a "ping." A little investigation indicates that the zero fret on the E string is indented, so when I bend, the string will pop out of the indentation and "ping."

The flea is only a few weeks old and I'm very happy with it, other than this. Does anyone else have this problem? I wouldn't expect wear this quick, but I've probably been playing an hour a day or so. Anyone have a guess if this was a defect or just wear?

Oh dear a slightly negative voice.....well not entirely....I recently decided to buy a new Banjo-Uke and took a sickle ride off to my local shop ....not a good idea taking a motor bike to buy a banjo !! still...the chap in the shop offered me a choice of several ....including a Firefly.......well the sound was amazing ...loud ,barking and gorgeous.....but to an old fart like me it did not feel right ....it was too light ...it would not nestle and moved around in my arms (I do not use a strap)throughout various strokes....and it had a plastic (bleah) fretboard....with plastic frets..(augh)- as you can see, I studied at the Charles Schultz academy of writing vocal expressions) ......I then tried a Kala and it was like my old Banjo uke...solid, heavy and real.....and sounded great....the sales chappy and I had a good long chat and a bit of a jam ...he said that he would prefer the Firefly ....I said this " It sounds beautiful. No question ... but it has a fret board that only it's mother could love and I could never find it in me to get involved with it..it is too lightweight ...it is a seriously good instrument but it is not choosing me ..the Kala "fits" ..Both machines were in the £200 region and I took the Kala home...

PS
I see that for an extra something or other $ or £ 70 you can get a Firefly with a wooden fretboard ........hmmmm that would help but no guarantee.....

I have the firefly with the wood fretboard. It's still light as a feather but that's exactly why I like it.

I have this on my E string too. Mine is several years old and only recently developed the small divot. I have not got around to sending it back in for replacement. I have a Firefly banjo uke with the wood fretboard too and have no problems. So it must be unique to the plastic fretboard. Weird that you have it on the E string too

Quick question for you flea/fluke owners with the plastic fretboard. I just got my flea about 3 weeks ago and I noticed today, when trying to bend notes for the first time, that I get a "ping." A little investigation indicates that the zero fret on the E string is indented, so when I bend, the string will pop out of the indentation and "ping."

The flea is only a few weeks old and I'm very happy with it, other than this. Does anyone else have this problem? I wouldn't expect wear this quick, but I've probably been playing an hour a day or so. Anyone have a guess if this was a defect or just wear?

Have found the same stuation. Apparently there is a burr centered in the string slot which will probably require the slot to be filed into a rounded-bottom slot to permanently fix. The ping on mine occurs from the zero fret back to the tuner.

Am a little reluctant to do the filing even though I have the correct round-files. The plastic will require a very gentle touch, and going too deep-hard with a file will mean the entire molded nut/neck will have to be replaced.

What has solved the problem for me was putting a string suppressor in place. The suppressor is just a short piece of leather bootlace. I do the same on my mandolins between the bridge and tailpiece (quite a common thing with mandolins). The suppressor deadens the sound (ping). On the Flea it actually helps keep the string from rubbing back and forth over the burr. If the problem causes the string to snap, then I'll consider g e n t l y filing the burr, but not until then.

image.jpg

I got a concert Flea for Fathers Day. I wanted this particular uke based on reviews I've read, praising it for durability and sound quality. I wanted a uke that sounded well, but also didn't want to worry about my uke breaking when playing around with my son, who's a year and a half. The added bonus is that it's made in the US (about 2.5 hours away from me)! I'm very pleased with the overall quality and sound, so I purchased a tenor Fluke today at a nearby music store. I like the modern aesthetics of both. I also think it's pretty cool that they use wood that's native to my region.

I actually travel around Sheffield, MA a few times a year for work, so I plan on visiting their facility at some point!

Last edited:
I have a Flea Concert in Natural Finish with the plastic fretboard. I want something with a little more pizazz as the color. Anyone want to trade theirs for mine? I could also kick in a few bucks to sweeten the deal.

I am not the first owner. It's been taken care of and plays nicely. I will include two sets of strings with it. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they are Aquilas (taken off another Flea Concert and HILO's, taken off this Flea Concert).

I know this should probably go in the Marketplace, but I thought I would start here first.

WHATCHAGOT???

I have never had an issue. I have had two different fleas for multiple years. Give them a call. They will be super helpful. Sorry, I didn't see your question earlier to give you a response.
http://www.magicfluke.com/Contact-s/1844.htm

I had this on my Flea as well. I brought it over to my local Uke store and we think we know why.

I had the stock strings on it when I bought it. I subsequently bought Living Waters strings which are much thinner. As the nut was holding thicker strings, the thinner strings move within the nut ever so slightly and the moving seems to minutely displace the strings during bending. I found this mostly happening on the E string, although every once in a while it would happen on the C They told me to put something in the nut, like a tiny piece of tissue and that should do it. I didn't try it yet.

Does this help?

I had this on my Flea as well. I brought it over to my local Uke store and we think we know why.

I had the stock strings on it when I bought it. I subsequently bought Living Waters strings which are much thinner. As the nut was holding thicker strings, the thinner strings move within the nut ever so slightly and the moving seems to minutely displace the strings during bending. I found this mostly happening on the E string, although every once in a while it would happen on the C They told me to put something in the nut, like a tiny piece of tissue and that should do it. I didn't try it yet.

Does this help?

I just got around to trying the paper trick and it worked! Now to find some black paper and make it look a bit nicer...

Thanks everyone!

So, something that I added to the conversation actually worked?? WOW. What day is this? I need to mark it down. YAY!

Last edited:
So the paper in the nut slot worked, but would slip out if the nut slot when tuned. A small slice of electrical tape is doing the trick and matches the fretboard.

IMG_1773.JPG

I just got a Trigon Fluke last week, with a pickup and wooden fretboard. I've changed out the G and A strings for classical guitar strings, including a low G.

I got a Hibiscus Flea after my/everyone's gateway uke, the venerable Dolphin had me wanting more . . . I love my Flea! It sounds great and plays the same. I was having a laugh with my Son last night about it being the only stringed instrument Ive ever relic'd, naturally over time. I wish they made a Fluke with a soprano scale neck and I would by one of those, too. The only thing I would change now, is I would have paid extra for the wood fingerboard. But, thats just nitpicking. I love my Flea!
Uke.jpg

Top Bottom