Alternate finger for chords

WKerrigan

Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to this uke thing, and I only just learned that for virtually every chord, there are typically many alternate positions that can get you the same sound. (Yeah, this should be obvious). So I was struggling to hold down the standard Am7, and then learned that one alternative is simply an open string strum with no strings held down. My assumption is that this isn't the standard Am7 because it is not quite perfect, but rather a "make do?"

http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/A_major/Am7/am7.html

Also, some alternate chords take you a ways up the neck. Is it problematic to toss an "up the neck" alternative chord when the rest of the song is being played on the first four frets?

I would say it's only a problem if
a) you can't get there quickly & cleanly enough
or
b) it sounds a bit odd having just one chord up there.

And b) really depends on the context within the song. I have been playing one song where everything is on the first few frets apart from the end of a phrase where it goes to D and E at the 5th & 7th frets. Sounds great. But in another part of another song it might sound wrong. Just give it a try and see.

So I'm pretty new to this uke thing, and I only just learned that for virtually every chord, there are typically many alternate positions that can get you the same sound. (Yeah, this should be obvious). So I was struggling to hold down the standard Am7, and then learned that one alternative is simply an open string strum with no strings held down. My assumption is that this isn't the standard Am7 because it is not quite perfect, but rather a "make do?"

http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/A_major/Am7/am7.html

Also, some alternate chords take you a ways up the neck. Is it problematic to toss an "up the neck" alternative chord when the rest of the song is being played on the first four frets?

Look at the notes you are playing with any of the Am7 shapes. They are GCEA in various order (called inversions)
The open string chord is Am7 and C6. Both good and acceptable chords.

There are no rules. Not only can you use different fingers to place the chords that the books 'tell you' to use, you can play most chords in many positions too.

Sometimes the second or third positions can be easier.

You can play what you like as they are the same chords. How it sounds though will depend on the song, the feel of the song, and the chord you are coming from and then going to. Sometimes a big leap up can be out of character to the song. Sometimes they work surprisingly well.

Top Bottom