Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin OXK mod

Default Martin OXK mod

Anyone else do this? The OXK being made out of formica, I find it near impossible to hold, it's so slippery.

Went down to Home Depot and bought some non-skid tape. Cut a few strips with a razor blade and stuck them on. It is a joy to play now. Stays put so well, no need for a strap while standing up.!! Don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great idea, but I had a thought for those who are wary of fastening anything adhesive to their uke.

Get a few strips of the magnetic vinyl that is used for the removable signs on cars and vans and stick something grippy to the side which will face the player, then secure it to the back of the uke with a few small Neodymium disc magnets on the inside.

Disclaimer:

Do NOT try this if you have a pacemaker!
    Last edited by The Big Kahuna; 03-08-2014 at 06:05 AM.

formica, really??? like the countertops? or are you just calling laminate, formica?
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Martin Iz - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 (fretless) - Pahoehoe | Kala Acacia - Pahoehoe

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDan View Post
    formica, really??? like the countertops? or are you just calling laminate, formica?
    oxk is formica. for real. not laminate.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    oxk is formica. for real. not laminate.
    so, do you guys like them? I saw a demo video and it sounds really bright. Are you using Martin strings?
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns

at the moment oasis lites. I may consider trying martins on it in the future. i havent liked m600s as much for picking.
    In order of play time: Martin OXK, Lanikai LU21B, Islander MT4, Rubin Sopranino

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDan View Post
    so, do you guys like them? I saw a demo video and it sounds really bright. Are you using Martin strings?
    m600's on mine. I really like the OXK a lot. Being made of formica, it's hard to believe how good it sounds. It's not far off the solid wood Martins. I stuff it in a saddle bag on motorcycle trips, and take it camping. Martin calls it "HPL" high pressure laminate, which is exactly what formica is.

Actually, I've just figured out that it's made of the same material my mother's floor is made of, with the wood pattern printed on to it.

I have lots of leftover flooring in my garage, I'll have to go into the business!

lmn8.jpg
    Just Play

Thread Information