Season 108 - These go to 11

Thunderflea you are killing it. Most excellent!

Fantastic theme Doug. I pulled out our copy of Break Like The Wind last week when somebody speculated this might be the theme. Didn't think it was remotely possible... and yet here we are.

Maybe its been done. This one is more appropriately done by a man but as my week is going this is what Im submitting as I may not get back to recording again this week. My first one take vid. Yeah! Hank Williams Jr.

Eleven Roses~

Last edited:
I was going to make do with one entry till later in the week when I get back home from London but then I came across this fabulous anti-war song written by Pete St. John, the composer of Fields of Athenry and I simply had to record it for this season.

Tootler - It’s a Long Way to Tipperary - Good one, Geoff. You're right, the chorus is so recognizable, you could probably just make up some verses and nobody would know. Great tune for the banjo uke, really nice full sound.

ChrisDeston82 - Whatever Doesn’t Kill You by Finger Eleven - Great job on this, you’ve really come up with a sweet arrangement, and on such short notice. I thought Finger Eleven might make an appearance this week, thanks for bringing it.

Thunderflea - (Listen to the) Flower People - Excellent, better than even the Spinal Tap version.

xommen - All the Way Home - Yeah, U2 meets Spinal Tap, great arrangement and playing, Wim.

lelouden - Eleven Roses - Very nicely done, Linda, spot on strumming and excellent vocals. Thanks for bringing some Hank Jr.

myrnaukulele - A11 - Great choice, Myrna, now we've got two that fit both seasons. I hope you cross-post to season 107.*

Tootler - When Margaret was Eleven - Great find, Geoff, there's something about these jaunty tunes with tragic lyrics.

when i thought about what song most defined the concept of cranking it up to eleven

for me it's this one

"ace of spades" by motorhead

coincidentally, it not only cranks it UP to eleven, but also CONTAINS the WORD eleven

yeah

Last edited:
This week promises to be crazy for myself and family as there are a lot of things that are going on. So, I made my entry for this week early so I won't have to worry myself sick over getting it done or even trying to compete with Thunderflea's version as his completely kicks ass. Again going back to basics with a single track. Sorry if I don't have the scales right or sing out of key, I wanted to get something in for the week before everything goes crazy. I have another idea but will only do something if I get the time. Great theme Doug.

Oh, bonus! This is the eleventh track on the CD.

I cannot participate this week. No time at all. Absolutely none.
So, clearly, I'd better get it done tonight.

And, since I need to be really efficient about my non-participation, here's a song that works for both this Season and the outgoing one. A sweet gem of an undiscovered love song about the ultimate romantic activity, crapshooting: "Seven Come Eleven" by Johnny Horton.

This song is so undiscovered, that there are no lyrics online anywhere. I think that's a first for me. Even the local songwriters I cover have lyrics on their web sites. It's a shame, really, because it's a great song ... my new favorite song.

The chords are simple (D, G, E7, A7 - I'm playing capo 2, so really E, A, F#7, B7 - the original is in Eb, a half step lower), but the words are chock full of craps jargon, so I spent way more time than I bargained looking them up to figure out these unfamiliar phrases. (There's one line I still haven't figured out ... can you tell which one? If you are a crapshooter, please help me out!)

And yes, Doug, of course I am about to cross-post to S107. I'll take all the attention I can get.

BTW, I love this new trend of doing songs on Sunday that match both Seasons. I think we should have a special weekly game just for that. Who'd have thought there'd be three songs by Johnny's with "11" in the title? (Never mind that two of them were by the same Johnny! That Mr. Paycheck was a visionary forward thinker, for sure.)

By the way, if you haven't done your "Johnny" song yet, Johnny Horton has one called "Johnny Reb". Double points! (Who knows, maybe it even has 11 in the lyrics ... I didn't look.)

I wonder how many classical pieces there are containing No. 11, hmmm ....possibly a field day season for a certain gifted musician?

Tomorrow Eleven (original song)

Couldn't find anything suitable so in honour of the prime number 11,
I decided to write an angst ridden, blues influenced, Waitsy type
song, which focuses on making all the wrong choices and thinking
you've done everything right, yet the end result for yourself is
disasterous.

jazzbanjorex - Turn it Up - Yeah, that's crankin' it, man, great energy.

BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke - ace of spades - Woah, pedal to the metal, rockin' and raucous, even though this has 11 in it, I'm putting it in the 'crank it to 11' playlist where it belongs.

29 moons - Flower People - Great version, really nice single note runs, thanks for bringing another Spinal Tap song, and hope you get a chance to shoot another video this week.

UkeCan1 - Seven Come Eleven - Johhny Horton - Great song, and great job tracking down the lyrics. I don't know this one, but there's another 'Seven Come Eleven' by Charlie Christian and Benny Goodman, instrumental only.

weegingayin - Tomorrow Eleven - Great song, an origingayin, and very soulful blues wail and staccato strum.

Seven or Eleven

More crap from me

There is actually a song with the same title (and theme) by Eddie Cantor & the great Walter Donaldson from 1923 - the lyric's a leetle too 'robust' for modern sensitivities though, I suspect.

Talking of lyrics - there are some truly awful lyrics out there featuring "eleventh". The following extracts were taken just from page one of the list on lyrics.net - 'Dark dragons of tomorrow', anyone?
Code:
The 11th Hour
Madness
 Well, sometimes I wish that I could see 
But it was you instead of me 
At the eleventh hour

The trumpets of yesterday are blowing for here today 
I only hope you can rest in peace 
And cannot hear the tune...

The 11th Hour
Psyche 2005
Now there's no pretending 
Everything you knew is ending
At the eleventh hour 
Who's going to save you now?

A razor blade 
A sharpened lie...

The 11th Hour
Fates Warning 1991
to understand 

The writing that's on the walls 
While we watch time slip through our hands 
We're deaf to our own demands 
When the eleventh hour calls...

Peaceful Night
Mercury Rev 1995
land 

Don't care no more
Eleventh hour heart of stone on bended knee facing home 
Almighty above Almighty below 
an unfortunated end to yr Civil War...

Eleventh Earl of Mar
Genesis 1976
low, 

But boy that wasn't all. 
Eleventh Earl of Mar 
Couldn't get them very far. 
Daddy! Oh Daddy, You Promised.
Out on the road in the direction...

Morning Star
Therion 1998
the dark  

Dragons of tomorrow flying to their Babel of yesterday 
They open the seal of Sorath and release the eleventh ray....

Amped
Grip Inc. 1999
Searching for something more 
Endless are the window patrols 
Time wags its accusing finger 
Time will cut you 
Without distinction 
In the eleventh hour 

Cranked...

The Eleventh Sphere
Scar Symmetry 2005
and beginning unites
Nothing was, nothing will be
Time and space collides
In the eleventh sphere
Awaiting to find it all
I begin an abstract...

Even Michael Jackson got caught...

To Make My Father Proud [1973 Mix]
Michael Jackson 1986

compromise, shall flower the fruit of constant care
In my eleventh hour, I'll be a man when 
To face whatever falls my way 
Prepare that utter shame 
To just be...

Fallen Rock Zone
Ra 2002
A fallen rock zone 
A broken back bone I want to hear you scream into your cell phone 
You're just a traitor, eleventh grader 

A cyber sex addicted...

The Eleventh Hour
Jars of Clay 2002
and nights to make me realize.
Rescue me from waiting on this line. 
I won't give up on giving you the chance to blow my mind. 

Let the eleventh hour...

Oh, and please take some time out to come over and vote for our End of Year Awards. As you know we get an average of 40 participants per Season. It would be nice if we could get just close to that number voting. In fact Doug - you should make it a rule. Vote if you wanna participate in the Season! :)

Vote For Best Overall Performance

Vote For Best Duet/Group

Vote For Best Original Song

Vote For Funniest Video Of The Year

Vote For People's Choice / Favourite Video of the Year

That is a classic, Elmann - and it was inspired of you, out of all the versions of this sketch posted to youtube, to pick the one that provides a transcript "For those having trouble with the accent...," :rofl:

Not to mention helpful!

Top Bottom