No spruce for me...

BigD

Reaction score
I guess its just personal preference but ive yet to find or play any stringed instrument with a spruce top that ive enjoyed. While that doesnt mean some amazing instruments dont have spruce tops its just something about them doesnt feel, idk right. Whats everyones personal preference in woods? And im coming to realize that its not that my new uke isnt nice i just dont like the spruce top!! lol it seems like such a general statement to say i dont like it but ive yet to play one id spend money on, i MUCH prefer the warmth of mahogany and cedar..

Perhaps I am of the same mind, because I have passed over spruce tops in my last two purchases. One was for a cedar top and the other was for mahogany.

Interesting that you bring this up, I've recently been in the position of deciding between a certain koa top uke that I can try before I buy, and a spruce top one that I would be buying sight unseen, and... I'm sticking with the koa because I know I love the sound. While I suspect that the spruce top uke in question would sound just wonderful, most of the spruce top ukes I've encountered haven't had exactly the sound I like - although I can't quite put into words what it is. Haven't tried a cedar top but after reading your post, maybe it's warmth that I'm missing when I hear a spruce top.

I think a lot of it is in the build, too. I've had guitars of cedar and spruce and both were lovely, though very different. Sometimes I still regret giving my cedar guitar away several years ago but we had some friends who had a lot of kids and not a lot of money so when she broke the neck on her guitar I gave her the cedar because I had my Taylor and was playing it most of the time. Still, that cedar was very nice.

I haven't found a cedar uke that I really like, though. Some of them sound great and pretty much all of them are quite loud but I guess they just sound a little too guitarish to me, even when strung reentrant. I have heard a few spruce ukes that I like, though...and in fact I ordered a spruce top on the Boat Paddle I'm having built.

For me, spruce in a uke is a very fine line. It's nice and loud and punchy but can easily go a little too piercing. This uke I have on order is a five string (octave G strings) so I think it will be okay, and if all else fails I can throw some warmer strings on it in place of the Worth clears.

It's fairly easy to mellow out a bright uke with strings but it's awfully hard to put the uke "punch" into one that is too mellow out of the gate. I think maybe that's what I don't care for in the cedar ukes - lots of loud, very mellow and warm, but I've not found one with the "uke sparkle."

John

Last edited:
wagster-albums-ukulele-picture60012-img-0486.jpg

I bought this Kala 4 or 5 years ago and it has two things going for it:

1 - Like most ukes, over time it just opened up and I love the tones I get from it. Worth CL's really compliment the spruce. Best $200 I've ever spent.

2 - I bought it from MGM. That truly makes it a treasure I will never forsake.

I have the solid spruce top Luna concert with Aquila Nylgut. HMS set it up. I play with the pads of my fingers, not nails, and it has the sound I wanted.

View attachment 64704

I bought this Kala 4 or 5 years ago and it has two things going for it:

1 - Like most ukes, over time it just opened up and I love the tones I get from it. Worth CL's really compliment the spruce. Best $200 I've ever spent.

2 - I bought it from MGM. That truly makes it a treasure I will never forsake.

:shaka::shaka:

spruce is big and loud, I prefer koa #1 and next mahogany, but I'm a traditionalist.

I've heard some fantastic Spruce-topped ukes and some not so great ones. Like pretty much any wood. I do hear you on having a preference. For me personally, while I really love the look of Koa, I've heard many more Koa ukes that I didn't care for than those that I loved. But I've heard some really, really spectacular ones, too. I just bought one of my favorite sounding ones even though it is unfortunately quite plain Jane in looks.

My favorite guitar is an all Mahogany LS-03 from Larrivee. It is a forum 3 guitar. My ukes are all koa, but I am having a Kinnard with Cedar top being built at the moment. I listened to TONS of the Kinnard's and I like the cedar top and all mahogany the best. Didn't care for the spruce as much, but they could open up, so it might not have been a "fair" comparison.

I've always found spruce gave a better tonal variety with my classical guitars, and I'm currently playing a Kala solid spruce top/solid ovangkol B&S tenor. I can put duller strings on if I want a soft tone, or try to use flesh (I have nails for guitar...and uke). When I need sizzle, spruce delivers. My wife has a nice cedar top Kala, and its tone is very nice.

John's right about build and design. Even flamenco guitarists can be found playing cedar, and they still produce a great flamenco tone.

P.S. I've been looking at the Kanilea spruce top tenors for a few days, and might have to part with some cash.....

Definitely depends on the build. I've played a Moore Bettah Spruce that was warmer than most koa, mahogany ukes I've played.

However, I think most cheaper spruce ukes sound brash

I've always found spruce gave a better tonal variety with my classical guitars... When I need sizzle, spruce delivers. My wife has a nice cedar top Kala, and its tone is very nice.

John's right about build and design. Even flamenco guitarists can be found playing cedar, and they still produce a great flamenco tone.
Coming from a CG background where spruce or cedar tops are the norm, perhaps there's a prejudice in my liking them on uke as well.

I have more than one each of spruce, cedar and mahogany and I love them all for what they are and the unique sounds they make. :)

I guess its just personal preference but ive yet to find or play any stringed instrument with a spruce top that ive enjoyed. While that doesnt mean some amazing instruments dont have spruce tops its just something about them doesnt feel, idk right. Whats everyones personal preference in woods? And im coming to realize that its not that my new uke isnt nice i just dont like the spruce top!! lol it seems like such a general statement to say i dont like it but ive yet to play one id spend money on, i MUCH prefer the warmth of mahogany and cedar..

What would you consider a Maple back sides with a Sitka Spruce top? Self serving, but what the hell, this one doesn't scream what you think it would:
http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/custom-aaron-oya-tenor-ukulele/

spruce is going to be good, or terrible, all depending on how an instrument is built. you have to remember instruments started with basic stuff like maple and spruce so there is some tradition going on.
if a wood does not attract you at all, that's enough, leave it alone. there's plenty of good other species out there.

My spruce/rosewood concert has long been my favorite uke, and new additions have failed to supplant it. It has a sweet, bright sound that blends nicely with my voice.

My main music playmate (my husband) plays a mahogany tenor tuned dGBE. Our ukes blend well together, with my sweet, bright highs nicely complementing his deep, warm, voicings.

I have two spruce topped ukes, one Engelmann, the other Adirondack, and they are terrific. Classical guitar makers have been using spruce for a long time, and they manage to make guitars sound good. I know that uke luthiers can produce instruments that utilize spruce, cedar, or redwood that delight the ear as much as traditional koa or mahogany. At least based on my personal experience.

I'm with the OP; I like mahogany and toon, not a fan of spruce or koa

My first 'real' (read: not bright purple laminate) uke was a stagg spruce topped thing that now rides in the back of the car with sharpie graffiti all over it, and I really love it. I now have a Kala with acacia back and sides & a spruce top and it sounds just beautiful :D I think it's probably just a case of personal aural preference, and you should always go for the sound you like best.

Top Bottom