UWC ~ the new rule about the open mic

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
As some of you remember, last year the sign up sheet for the open mic turned into a mess. The other thing that happened was that some people didn't get a chance to play until late (or at all) while other people seemed to be up on stage often in various incarnations.

The rule is everybody gets 2 songs. We will have a numbered sign up sheet this year.
It gets complicated when groups play together. I fully support people doing a solo performance and also sitting in with their local/regional/international group and I don't want to discourage that. However I do want to discourage people from jumping up on stage at any opportunity all evening long. If you are not invited to play with a group, don't invite yourself just to get more stage time, don't make up new bands just to get more stage time. I've been encouraged to make some solid rules about this, so the new rule is...
Don't be that person I have to talk to about this.

If you think this might apply to you, you might be right....

Last edited:
Could you have the sign-up sheet be such that all the soloists go first, and are limited to two songs each?

Then the groups could start, and also play a two song limit. Once you've been onstage with any group, you can't go back up until all the other groups (that you are not a part of) have played.

After that, make it first come, first served....

Good plan, Mike. Last year I happened to be in town both afternoons and by the time I got back to sign up it was obvious that the list was already so long it was going to run way past my pumpkin time. I didn't miss it that much 'cause I don't go to UWC to get on stage anyway, but I was surprised by how quickly the list got really long.

Heh, heh. After that, it's 3AM... LOL

John

Lovely.

My fingers are crossed this works.

Ooh, ooh ooh (who remembers "Car 54 Where are You?" Toody and Muldoon.

The order of playing for open stage could be drawn from a hat?

Could you have the sign-up sheet be such that all the soloists go first, and are limited to two songs each?

Then the groups could start, and also play a two song limit. Once you've been onstage with any group, you can't go back up until all the other groups (that you are not a part of) have played.

In a perfect world that would be good. I like the idea (all smiles here)
The issue is that some people like to go later, or have been working on songs with people a while before they get there and may want to up first.
I think the numbered sheet will help also in getting more people up. Mim and I have talked about having runners make sure we have the next up, and also the Next next up by the stage so they can get on and going faster.
Like all other UWC, we all try to make it better and more fun for people. we grow and learn. Sometimes we make mistakes or see something we want to make better. Thanks Mike for trying something new to better the UWC experience.

At a gated event I attended each admission got you a few tickets for the karaoke stage. Tickets weren't fancy, just a roll of movie admission tickets. Each time up required a ticket, whether solo or in a group. No ticket, no stage. The stage session was timed and after a few groups were hearded off mid-song the musicians learned to keep track of their time. Everybody got a chance.

With an open event I'm not sure how you'd regulate one set of tickets per person. Someone in charge would have to dole them out and grinch the few who came up a second time.

Somebody like me would charge a buck or two and give the money to a local school band.

Okay, each act gets a 2-song limit. How about each person gets a 4-song limit? That way an individual can do a 2-song set and is still be eligible to play 2 with one group, once, (and no Groucho glasses).

As some of you remember, last year the sign up sheet for the open mic turned into a mess. The other thing that happened was that some people didn't get a chance to play until late (or at all) while other people seemed to be up on stage often in various incarnations.

The rule is everybody gets 2 songs. We will have a numbered sign up sheet this year.
It gets complicated when groups play together. I fully support people doing a solo performance and also sitting in with their local/regional/international group and I don't want to discourage that. However I do want to discourage people from jumping up on stage at any opportunity all evening long. If you are not invited to play with a group, don't invite yourself just to get more stage time, don't make up new bands just to get more stage time. I've been encouraged to make some solid rules about this, so the new rule is...
Don't be that person I have to talk to about this.

If you think this might apply to you, you might be right....

Brilliant.
Thank you

Mike said it perfectly. I have never understood all the discussion after the word is said. It is what it is. If you get asked to play with people you should be able to on their set. It's their set, their moment in time. Why take it away. If you are like many people there you play in lots of groups. Why shouldn't you be allowed to play in your group. Some of the finest magic is when people come together to perform a song. Those are really special for the people watching as well as the people who may only see each other once a year. Why take that away. The point I took from Mikes Rule is don't just hop up on stage anytime you want to. You can do a set for yourself and if you get invited play with other folks as well. I don't know about the rest of you but I've always had fun! Why change it.

Dear Thomdawg,

I think you are missing the point. Yes, it is lovely to play in groups. What if you don't play in groups? Not everyone does. And let's face it, some of those groups just added a person or two and off they went for another 2 songs. Meanwhile some of us were left standing the whole night waiting for our chance. Yes, I was number 74. 74???? Poor number 75. The only reason I got to play before that was because Dominator gave me one of HIS spots. I think groups should be part of a person's 2 numbers. Or maybe groups should go last? Or on Friday? The least that should happen is that everyone know when the sign-up sheet gets posted. It should not be some arbitrary time. Last year it went up at some incredibly early time. And nobody knew that.

Yes, the open mic should be fun. But it should be fun for everybody.

I BOUGHT POSTER BOARD... Sharpies (well, not the real ones, but the knock off ones from the Flea Market)... and I am bringing a ruler! And me and Joni and going to have a sign up sheet numbering party!

Yes, at UWC... every activity can end with the word 'party' and immediately be epic!!!

Dear Thomdawg,

I think you are missing the point. Yes, it is lovely to play in groups. What if you don't play in groups? Not everyone does. And let's face it, some of those groups just added a person or two and off they went for another 2 songs. Meanwhile some of us were left standing the whole night waiting for our chance. Yes, I was number 74. 74???? Poor number 75. The only reason I got to play before that was because Dominator gave me one of HIS spots. I think groups should be part of a person's 2 numbers. Or maybe groups should go last? Or on Friday? The least that should happen is that everyone know when the sign-up sheet gets posted. It should not be some arbitrary time. Last year it went up at some incredibly early time. And nobody knew that.

Yes, the open mic should be fun. But it should be fun for everybody.

Last year someone posted the Saturday list early without asking me first. This year Joni and Mim are making a numbered sheet and will be posting it at 5pm each evening. Any unauthorized sheet will be removed. People can sign up at 5pm for one slot if they want to play with others, they have to get to the back of the line and wait to sign up for another slot with their group, this should lessen the chance of anyone "stacking" the list

I don't expect the same issues this year, hopefully people are more aware. I will not be making any hard fast rules about groups. Some of the group performances are fantastic and it's the only chance some people get to perform together.

I BOUGHT POSTER BOARD... Sharpies (well, not the real ones, but the knock off ones from the Flea Market)... and I am bringing a ruler! And me and Joni and going to have a sign up sheet numbering party!

Yes, at UWC... every activity can end with the word 'party' and immediately be epic!!!

Do you need any glitter? I LOVE me some glitter.

Top Bottom