Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UWC ~ the new rule about the open mic

Default UWC ~ the new rule about the open mic

As some of you remember, last year the sign up sheet for the open mic turned into a mess. The other thing that happened was that some people didn't get a chance to play until late (or at all) while other people seemed to be up on stage often in various incarnations.

The rule is everybody gets 2 songs. We will have a numbered sign up sheet this year.
    It gets complicated when groups play together. I fully support people doing a solo performance and also sitting in with their local/regional/international group and I don't want to discourage that. However I do want to discourage people from jumping up on stage at any opportunity all evening long. If you are not invited to play with a group, don't invite yourself just to get more stage time, don't make up new bands just to get more stage time. I've been encouraged to make some solid rules about this, so the new rule is...
    Don't be that person I have to talk to about this.

If you think this might apply to you, you might be right....
    Last edited by hoosierhiver; 03-11-2014 at 10:52 AM. Reason: clarity
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Could you have the sign-up sheet be such that all the soloists go first, and are limited to two songs each?

Then the groups could start, and also play a two song limit. Once you've been onstage with any group, you can't go back up until all the other groups (that you are not a part of) have played.

After that, make it first come, first served....
    Things get better with age. I'm approaching magnificent....

Kala KA-SC :: Sapele /ebony soprano, handmade :: Kiwaya K-Wave Tele Uke :: Big Island KTO-TR :: Lanikai LU-8EK :: Eastman concert prototype :: vintage banjolele :: Mainland gloss mahogany concert

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there..." - George Harrison

"Just a few ukulele hooligans getting wild and strummy...." - chindog

5:2576

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    the new rule is...

If you think this might apply to you, you might be right....
    Love this rule, VERY tactful Mike !!!!!!
    Keep Strummin'

Good plan, Mike. Last year I happened to be in town both afternoons and by the time I got back to sign up it was obvious that the list was already so long it was going to run way past my pumpkin time. I didn't miss it that much 'cause I don't go to UWC to get on stage anyway, but I was surprised by how quickly the list got really long.

Heh, heh. After that, it's 3AM... LOL

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Lovely.

My fingers are crossed this works.

Ooh, ooh ooh (who remembers "Car 54 Where are You?" Toody and Muldoon.

The order of playing for open stage could be drawn from a hat?
    I am the best ukulele player on my block!

Quote Originally Posted by mailman View Post
    Could you have the sign-up sheet be such that all the soloists go first, and are limited to two songs each?

Then the groups could start, and also play a two song limit. Once you've been onstage with any group, you can't go back up until all the other groups (that you are not a part of) have played.

In a perfect world that would be good. I like the idea (all smiles here)
    The issue is that some people like to go later, or have been working on songs with people a while before they get there and may want to up first.
    I think the numbered sheet will help also in getting more people up. Mim and I have talked about having runners make sure we have the next up, and also the Next next up by the stage so they can get on and going faster.
    Like all other UWC, we all try to make it better and more fun for people. we grow and learn. Sometimes we make mistakes or see something we want to make better. Thanks Mike for trying something new to better the UWC experience.
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

The rule is everybody gets 2 songs...
    Let's hope nobody decides to do In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida and Bohemian Rhapsody...and if someone does I suspect Mike might decide that they've violated the new rule...
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

At a gated event I attended each admission got you a few tickets for the karaoke stage. Tickets weren't fancy, just a roll of movie admission tickets. Each time up required a ticket, whether solo or in a group. No ticket, no stage. The stage session was timed and after a few groups were hearded off mid-song the musicians learned to keep track of their time. Everybody got a chance.

With an open event I'm not sure how you'd regulate one set of tickets per person. Someone in charge would have to dole them out and grinch the few who came up a second time.

Somebody like me would charge a buck or two and give the money to a local school band.
    Uva Uvam Vivendo Varia Fit

so the new rule is...
    This is brilliant Mike. Number the sheet and ask people to be considerate. This group should be able to handle that.
    Dreaming about UWC . . .
    dktoller youtube

Thread Information