Damn, what am I gonna watch now that True Detective is over?

Have you watched any of the British series available on Netflix or otherwise on the net? There are a number of moody mysteries with great acting: Top of Lake (OK not British but filmed in New Zealand), the Fall, Broadchurch, Prime Suspect - these four are particularly great. True Detectives was a great show; however, the British for may years have been doing detective short series with great actors where the characters are as important, or more so, than the mystery. True Detectives, like the British shows, unveiled at a slow pace and did not hit you over the head with over explanations; and did not get spiced up with gratuitous action scenes. Currently American TV, thanks to cable and the net, is showing a capacity to do similarly intelligent programming. If we are lucky the success of True Detectives will encourage more great shows.

That show was good and the last episode was creepy as hell. I know my other favorite drama, Breaking Bad, is gone too. Have you tried House of Cards? It is a little soapier but Kevin Spacey is great in it.

I haven't watched True Detective, but if you like detective stories that are heavy on the characterization, I recommend Sherlock. The first two seasons are on Netflix. The third season is out, but not on Netflix yet.
P.S.
Bring tissues. ;)

Woody Allen's Blue Jasmine (2014) is exceptional. Cate Blanchett is exceptional in it, an Oscar-winning performance. DVD out now.

Top Bottom