Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Why do we accept such cheap junk ukes on the market

Quote Originally Posted by stringy View Post
    I hear ya bazmaz, that is why I never buy instruments on-line.
    I realize anyone can get a dud in any model in any brand.

When I choose an uke I have to play it and test it. The action, intonation, sound, and sustain is important. If the uke is not up to par I never ask for a set-up, I politely ask to see another uke.

But there are brands that the shop owners tell me have to be set up to play and intonate correctly. These are the brands I avoid. If they need to be set up... they are not making quality instruments.
    I respectfully disagree. Setup is based on preferences, not absolutes. Many builders opt for higher action out of the box because it is much simpler to adjust a uke for lower action than higher action. And some factory-made ukes are quite good, but have had little attention to final playability at the factory.

What I will agree with is that good dealers will generally 1) weed out substandard instruments so they never go on sale, 2) tweak instruments with playability issues before they go up for sale, and 3) setup an instrument to typical player preferences before they put them on the shop floor. So I think when you find an instrument you like in a shop, it may have as much to do with the due diligence your dealer put in as it does with the overall quality of the instrument. It's not that those instruments didn't need to be setup; it's that they *were* setup.

Quote Originally Posted by RichM View Post
    I respectfully disagree. Setup is based on preferences, not absolutes. Many builders opt for higher action out of the box because it is much simpler to adjust a uke for lower action than higher action. And some factory-made ukes are quite good, but have had little attention to final playability at the factory.

What I will agree with is that good dealers will generally 1) weed out substandard instruments so they never go on sale, 2) tweak instruments with playability issues before they go up for sale, and 3) setup an instrument to typical player preferences before they put them on the shop floor. So I think when you find an instrument you like in a shop, it may have as much to do with the due diligence your dealer put in as it does with the overall quality of the instrument. It's not that those instruments didn't need to be setup; it's that they *were* setup.
    Where i shop they do not set up all the brands before displaying them. But there are certain brands that they tell me must be set-up first.

I want to support the companies that are making quality instruments. I do not want to support brands that are making low quality, mass-produced, instruments that need to be "fixed" so they play correctly. These brands give the ukulele a bad name and are obviously more interested in high profit margin than producing quality instruments.

Sorry for the rant...and yes I know there is a huge market for the low quality brands.*

Peace...

Quote Originally Posted by stringy View Post
    Where i shop they do not set up all the brands before displaying them. But there are certain brands that they tell me must be set-up first.

I want to support the companies that are making quality instruments. I do not want to support brands that are making low quality, mass-produced, instruments that need to be "fixed" so they play correctly. These brands give the ukulele a bad name and are obviously more interested in high profit margin than producing quality instruments.

Sorry for the rant...and yes I know there is a huge market for the low quality brands.*

Peace...
    I understand. Since I primarily play low quality brands, I probably just don't understand.

No I think you are right Rich

It is a misconception that you reach a certain quality level and they don't ever need adjusting. They all need adjusting as peoples preferences on actions differ.

But I also get where Stringy is coming from - many ultra cheap ukes need a good deal more tinkering!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

The way I see it the bottom line is that the nut should never need lowering on a "good" uke. Nut height is not a matter of personal preference, it has to be as low as possible for good intonation at the first few frets. A high bridge - no big deal - easy to bring down and some people like them high so it's fine to leave that to the store for final fitting.

The problem is we have way too many mid-priced (~$300) that need work at the nut to make them intonate properly.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

That sure is the truth OldePhart
    (or worse! - I would kind of expect a tuner to work too!)
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Thread Information