Uke won't stay in tune...

PixelBrain28

Reaction score
Aloha everyone!

Back in August, I was blessed enough to get a nice Islander MSS-4. After about half a year of playing off and on, I've decided to get playing seriously. I keep it in it's case with a PEZ dispenser humidifier. It still has on its stock Aquila Nylgut strings. To tune I use an electric Kala tuner that I've had for about a year. Upon getting it back out, the strings will not tune or stay in tune at all. There are no visible cracks on the uke. Do the strings just need to be re-streched or what? It'd help if you guys could let me know what may be the problem. Thanks a bunch in advance!

Wondering if the tuning machine screws need a little tightening.

It's possible you could use new strings, depending on how much you've played this set. I play about a half-hour daily, switching between two of my ukes, and I find that I need a new set of strings every couple of months or so. Just a thought ...

New strings, patience, or ... Check another tuner... Free online. & check to make sure your tuner is set to uke or chromatic, & tune the uke to gCEA . hang in there.

If you loosen the strings all the way they need to be restreched....yes get new strings too...how long has it been give it some time how long have you been playing...just wonddering..

tweak and tune...it will come in...folk instruments are like that and that is the joy of playing them

Last edited:

...At last..a succinct and informative vid.....thanks for passing this info out.....

Tune , stretch ....(some people ..I do ...*snap* the strings ...releas the string like you would a bow string so it smacks back...... they get an extra shock in the opposite direction when released...) don't just sit and wait for the strings to "bed in" You need to be pro-active with them ......and then re -tune and etc...this vid is a godsend ..watch it and do it. Really.

CeeJay

Last edited:
I have a beginner Lanikai uke that sat in a cardboard box in the closet unplayed for well over a year. It was not far out of tune when I pulled it out and now stays almost perfectly in tune now that I play it about once a week. (It's my least used uke)

btw aquila strings.

Last edited:
Try "snapping" the string as well, when you've stretched it up release it like a citizen of York releasing a bowstring at a Scotsman......I believe that statute still exists in good old Eboracum ............sorry ..no offense to Wee Ginga Yin and others of his proud and noble race.......but honestly, it is still a York bye-law....

CJ

Try "snapping" the string as well, when you've stretched it up release it like a citizen of York releasing a bowstring at a Scotsman......I believe that statute still exists in good old Eboracum ............sorry ..no offense to Wee Ginga Yin and others of his proud and noble race.......but honestly, it is still a York bye-law....

CJ
Sadly, it turns out to be a bit of an ancient urban myth. The person in charge of the York archives has said they can find no record of any such bye-law ever existing. The same story applies to Welshmen in Chester. But I still regularly take aim at Scots (only whilst standing on the city walls, only after dusk), just in case.

Top Bottom