Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Keeping the Urge to Play

I am 49 years old, and I started so early in music that I do not even remember a time in my life that I did not play any instruments. I have played professionally since late 1980s. The 'urge' to play comes and goes. I can go for weeks and months at a time without playing the piano (my main instrument) much at all; except at the occasional gig. Then all of a sudden, I will practise for hours on end. My other instruments - ukulele, guitar, tuba, accordion - also fall in and out of fashion in a similar manner. It's probably 'normal', whatever that means.

Well, after 18 years and a lot of time, money, and effort, I've lost the desire to play golf. Right now I don't care if I never play again and won't spend another cent on the game. Maybe it's just time to move on. I never imagined I would ever feel this way about the sport I loved but I just don't miss it at all.

Should I blame it on the ukulele?
    2013 LFDM Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by NewKid View Post
    Well, after 18 years and a lot of time, money, and effort, I've lost the desire to play golf. Right now I don't care if I never play again and won't spend another cent on the game. Maybe it's just time to move on. I never imagined I would ever feel this way about the sport I loved but I just don't miss it at all.

Should I blame it on the ukulele?
    Wow...Don you are just like me. I played twice last year and haven't played at all this year. The only reason why I would play is so that I can hang out with cool friends

I played for like 5 hours today. I learned a new song, that kept me pretty busy!
    Just Feel The Groooooove

Quote Originally Posted by vanflynn View Post
    It's called Spring, Kyle! After all these months of being cooped up inside I want to go do something and sitting on a couch playing unfortunately isn't one of them right now. Once the bon fires start back up I'll be at it in full force.

The muse ebbs and flows. I'm sure she will be back soon.
    I seem to be having the same problem as of late. I'm hoping it's just this damned never ending winter. (It snowed AGAIN last night)
    Ko'Aloha Concert-KSM-03
    Kamaka Pineapple White Label
    Gold Tone Banjolele Concert
    Hilo Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by nongdam View Post
    Wow...Don you are just like me. I played twice last year and haven't played at all this year. The only reason why I would play is so that I can hang out with cool friends
    Hi Daniel, I'd rather spend my money on an LFDM with one of those new small oval sound holes!
    2013 LFDM Tenor

Oh damn, I thought I was the only one xD

I feel like it's totally natural, like many people have said. I think it's just a matter of finding songs that you like enough to spend time learning how to play them. Learning the other way around (learning theory and techniques and practicing them on songs) can get really boring and tedious at times.

Congrats on learning a new song btw!
    Youtube
    Mililani, Hawai'i // Irvine, California
    UC Irvine c/o 2018
    Yes, of course you should watch Shigatsu

Thread Information