Tv show binge watching recommendations?

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I have been laid up with a bad cold for a few days and have probably at least another day or two of boredom ahead. Since baseball season has not started yet (go Red Sox!) I am looking for shows to stream on Netflix. I also have some overseas flights coming up and want to download some shows for them.

I have already binge watched this season of House of Cards, and finished all the seasons of Friday Night Lights. I was about to start Walking Dead (did watch the first episode but I am a big scaredy cat when it comes to horror so I am not sure if I will stick with it) and I was contemplating re-watching all of Breaking Bad.

Are there any shows out there any of you would recommend binge watching?

You might try Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch. I thought it was quite good, but I'm a fan of everything Sherlock Holmes.

I don't get Netflix, but I have HBOgo. Sopranos, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, and Game of Thrones. My daughter recommends Netflix Orange is the New Black.

You might try Sherlock starring Benedict Cumberbatch. I thought it was quite good, but I'm a fan of everything Sherlock Holmes.

I don't get Netflix, but I have HBOgo. Sopranos, Deadwood, Boardwalk Empire, and Game of Thrones. My daughter recommends Netflix Orange is the New Black.

Thanks guys, I had heard good things about the new Sherlock. I agree, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones are all good. I really liked Orange is the New Black too, I look forward to season 2. I haven't tried Deadwood.

I am on episode 3 of Walking Dead now, still squeamish but curious. I think I may give the Wire on HBO a go too.

Suggested TV series for extended watching:

Try Longmire for a low-key Wyoming sheriff, beautiful scenery, believable cases (each freestanding).

Try Engrenages (French) for majorly gritty series with police having to cover up their mistakes, plus corruption in the judiciary. Five stars from me!

Try Annika Bengtzon (Swedish) for urban newspaper reporter on the crime beat. First episode occurs during the Nobel Prize events.

Try The Protectors (Danish) for a secret-service-like unit that trains together and protects national leaders from terrorism, etc.

Try The Borgias for decadence, sin, and serious corruption in Renaissance Italy.

Ugh, that cold came to visit me not long ago and brought along its cousins, bronchitis and sinusitis. Hope you're on the way to recovery quicker than I was!

I don't have Netflix so I don't know what's available there, but Doc Martin and Call the Midwife on Amazon Prime, and a bazillion documentaries streaming either on Amazon or on PBS, kept me from dying of complete and total misery. What I wished I had (and wasn't sure if Netflix had or not; had I known for sure I would have signed up for a month) was Six Feet Under.

And, uh, yeah, I'm squeamish, so my recommendations may be a bit on the tame side.

the league - greatest show ever
suits
sopranos
the wire
arrested development

not sure if they are on netflicks but still love em anyways

Do you have a PS3? Play Demon's Souls and beat it in five days as I've done during my recent nasty cold. Just sat and played. If not, get a copy of the complete series Rome and watch it for some great entertainment and a stand out performance by Ray Stevenson.

If you haven't seen Firefly, you might give it a try– Sci-fi meets old school western.
If you like British humor, try Faulty Towers... hotel run by John Cleese... probably one of the best comedies ever.
Sherlock is excellent!!
We enjoyed Eureka, a town full of science geniuses with a sheriff that is not a genius.
Hope you feel better soon.
–Lori

I've got Amazon Prime, and took a chance on GRIMM.

Decent mind candy. Can't wait until Season 3 is finished on the network, and therefore free on Amazon Prime.

On Netflix:

The Returned (French Series) - resurrected characters in a character driven story. Part Lost, part Walking Dead, part something else.

State of Play (UK) - political drama mystery. similar to House of Cards.

Petticoat Junction and Bewitched with the first Darren with the crazy eyes are pretty decent.

Remember that you can also while away the time with TWOP since these shows are discussed on Television Without Pity http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/

There are many shows that I stayed with just because I enjoyed the snark on the forums - Downton Abbey in particular. Then again, there are many shows that I picked up so much that I missed when watching by reading those forums, as well. True Detective comes to mind as one where I apparently was fairly oblivious while watching.

Thanks so much to all of you. It looks like I have a lot of great shows ahead of me. I am sticking with Walking Dead for a few more episodes (though I did have to put thoughts of ukes in my head last night to chase away the zombies in my mind as I fell sleep). :)

Petticoat Junction and Bewitched with the first Darren with the crazy eyes are pretty decent.

You crack me up Steve. Don't forget about "Gomer Pile", "Hee Haw" and "Green Acres"! That Mr. Haney, what an actor!

Hope you feel better Staci.:)

Monk,
Psych,
Burn Notice,
Drop Dead Diva (?)

and keep uke'in',

Top Bottom