Schoenhut Ukulele... Flea Knockoff for less than $50!

kevlarian

Reaction score
Wow! Just Wow! Saw this on eBay TODAY, did a search on YouTube, and our friends over at GotAUkulele.com posted a review TODAY!

This thing is CRAZY. A near PERFECT knockoff to the Flea for less than $50 on eBay, SHIPPED.

I can't believe it. Ordering one up today to play around with it.

http://youtu.be/UE2pMy6pMzk

What do you guys think!?

inigo_montoya.jpg

What do you guys think!?

I think you get exactly what you pay for. If you are willing to put up with the well documented issues and make this into a project, go for it, if you think you are getting a flea for a steal, forget it...

Wow! Just Wow! Saw this on eBay TODAY, did a search on YouTube, and our friends over at GotAUkulele.com posted a review TODAY!

This thing is CRAZY. A near PERFECT knockoff to the Flea for less than $50 on eBay, SHIPPED.

I can't believe it. Ordering one up today to play around with it.

http://youtu.be/UE2pMy6pMzk

What do you guys think!?

I think you didn't read the review you mentioned.

Watched the video. Video said it was a near exact copy, neck was a bit diff, and the quality/thickness of the plastic was different, but overall was an exact copy... stock strings/fishing line were crap, and the tuner pegs were bad/broken. But for $30 (on eBay now) + strings and possibly new tuners... you got yourself a soprano flea.

I LOVE MY FLEA, and have no plans on supplanting it with this copy, but I would like to have a beater/flea, or one that I could give away (I have given away 10 ukes in the past year alone).

Might be a good option for that travel/give-away uke for me.

You got yourself a uke with a fingerboard that will wear down in no time and a bridge that looks like it is about to tear off. Plus a sticky gloss neck, uncomfortable fretting at the nut, dreadful tuners, the strings. You have not got yourself a soprano Flea.

I was intrigued by one comment I had on the post suggesting mine sounds better than the one this other chap has. Wow.

It's not a great buy other than as a 'what the heck' project. I wouldn't give one of these to anyone for fear of offending them!

It's a "perfect knockoff" of a Flea in the same way that a $5 Rolex copy is a "perfect knockoff" of a $10,000 real one.

Good to know... Glad I didn't pull the trigger... Stick to my Dolphin as my beater uke!

The thing with all these in the Flake Vs Dolphin Vs <insert cheap uke here>, $ 35 is less than I spend in an afternoon at the bar. Hell, I usually end up tipping that much after a session on holiday. If you can afford $ 35, you can afford $ 70

And $ 70 will get you something a hell of a lot better than one of these pieces of crap. If you need a "beater", there's no law that says it has to be a PoS.

Well said.

My 'beater' is actually a Fluke.

It's a "perfect knockoff" of a Flea in the same way that a $5 Rolex copy is a "perfect knockoff" of a $10,000 real one.

Well lets see if the OP is willing to do a review when it arrives. Maybe it will be ok and worth the $50. Not everybody has $200 bucks to spend. I'm going to wait to see what he has to say. That's the only opinion that's going to really be worth much as most of us I'm guessing have never played one.
It would be pretty neat if it was worth the price.

The thing with all these in the Flake Vs Dolphin Vs <insert cheap uke here>, $ 35 is less than I spend in an afternoon at the bar. Hell, I usually end up tipping that much after a session on holiday. If you can afford $ 35, you can afford $ 70

And $ 70 will get you something a hell of a lot better than one of these pieces of crap. If you need a "beater", there's no law that says it has to be a PoS.

My definition of a beater is a ukulele you can afford to replace, easily replaceable and an instrument you are not emotionally attached too.

Icelander - I do own one

SailingUke - Yes I agree to a point. I bought the Fluke because it is bombproof - so it naturally became my beater for that reason - it goes everywhere. But my main uke playing is on stage in a band, plugged in, and it doesn't cut it for that. So yes, easy to replace I agree with, but think there are other factors. Or a least for me there are. But I am incredibly emotionally attached to it. I probably play it more than any other as it sits in my living room by the sofa!

Well lets see if the OP is willing to do a review when it arrives. Maybe it will be ok and worth the $50. Not everybody has $200 bucks to spend. I'm going to wait to see what he has to say. That's the only opinion that's going to really be worth much as most of us I'm guessing have never played one.
It would be pretty neat if it was worth the price.

I owned one

Attachments

• up in smoke.jpg
    up in smoke.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 39
Top Bottom