Tenor ukes in high G tuning: wound or unwound poll

Wound or unwound 3rd string on tenor ukuleles?

• Unwound 3rd string

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • Wound 3rd string

Votes: 10 22.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bearbike137

Reaction score
I am curious to learn what folks prefer as far as wound versus an unwound 3rd string for high G tunings on tenor ukuleles. My experience has been that when a uke can do it, I prefer an unwound C string. However, some ukes just don't seem to like it (the string can sound weak and flabby). How about you all?

Personally dislike ANY wound string on a uke

Despite playing lots of instruments that use wound strings, I really don't like wound strings on my uke.

It depends on the uke. I have one re-entrant tuned uke with a wound C and like it a lot. I have come to like wound strings on my ukes, they seem to have more life to them, although I cast my vote for unwound in the poll because most of my ukes have non-wound third strings.

I use and love a wound third on one of my concerts, but my tenors are happier without...

I voted for wound. Besides sound, feel is very important and I don't like the C string to be much thicker in diameter than other strings as I don't like my A string to be much thinner. I play a wound G and the difference in tension seems more consistent with 2 wounds and 2 non-wounds vs. 1 wound and 3 non-wounds...Relative tension.

I selected wound, even though up 'til now most of my ukes have unwound 3rds. I'm discovering that I really like a wound third even on soprano ukes - however - they have to be Thomastik-Infeld chrome flat wound classical guitar strings (CF27 for the 3rd). They are almost squeakless, brighter than a lot of wound strings I've tried, and just seem to work really well especially against fluorocarbon strings.

I suspect that eventually all of my ukes will be sporting wound 3rds. They aren't so flabby and "snappy" and they intonate better up the neck than do thick plain strings.

John

I much prefer unwound.... The notes are the same on a wound C string, but the tone is totally different - really doesn't blend in for me.
Having said that, I have 3 tenors. 2 of them take an unwound C string beautifully, but one - a very well built Hawaiian brand - sounds slightly wooden and clunky down there with flourocarbon strings, especially on the fretted D note (2nd fret). Everywhere else is sweet and bell-like. I've tried every type of plain string, but still clunky. A wound C string gives me the sustain I am seeking, but sounds too different to the other strings.
Anyone else beaten this problem?

It depends on the uke. I have one re-entrant tuned uke with a wound C and like it a lot. I have come to like wound strings on my ukes, they seem to have more life to them, although I cast my vote for unwound in the poll because most of my ukes have non-wound third strings.

I agree with Dana. It depends on the uke, setup, and strings. I have both, though mostly unwound C's.

With Alohi's or Hilo's on a tenor, I would only use a wound C. I like the Oasis and Savarez unwound C's just fine.

Where is the "both" button?

I had strung my Kala KA-ASAC-T low G with a wound C a while back. I tried hard to like it and find a good use for it, but I just couldn't get into it. I'm back to reentrant with an unwound C and it's getting lots of love again. I've got a couple more sets of low G with a wound C from other makers that I'll try, but so far I'm not digging it.

I like both. However, the poll won't let me vote for both so I gave to wound.:)

I understand soooo many players do not care the wound strings at all. :) I personally didn't pre-consider or filter out options before buying strings, no matter wound or not, only go for the ones I favour. That widened my strings choice.

D'Addario black nylon set has a wound 3rd and its strumming sound is quite nice to me.:)

I like both. However, the poll won't let me vote for both so I gave to wound.:)
I have to agree.
It depends on the uke, some sound and/or feel better with wound, some with unwound. I happen to like the feel of wound strings, may be from also playing guitar and mandolin.

It depends on both the uke AND the player. Personally I prefer wound bass strings, the clarity is as present as it is with the E & A strings. They feel better to my fingers too. Mind you, I am speaking specifically of South Coast HML-RWs for tenors. They're wonderful strings. For comparison purposes, here's a link to a couple of videos of an uke of mine. In one video the uke is strung re entrant, on the other video the same uke is strung with a wound G & C. Otherwise the strings are hard fluorocarbon.

http://theukulelereview.com/2014/02/06/moore-bettah-peacock/

I have to agree.
It depends on the uke, some sound and/or feel better with wound, some with unwound. I happen to like the feel of wound strings, may be from also playing guitar and mandolin.

Agree. Also depends on strings, some wound strings feel better than other wound strings.

It depends on both the uke AND the player. Personally I prefer wound bass strings, the clarity is as present as it is with the E & A strings. They feel better to my fingers too. Mind you, I am speaking specifically of South Coast HML-RWs for tenors. They're wonderful strings. For comparison purposes, here's a link to a couple of videos of an uke of mine. In one video the uke is strung re entrant, on the other video the same uke is strung with a wound G & C. Otherwise the strings are hard fluorocarbon.

Thank you for sharing. Always informative.

I am using South Coast as well. I may try the HML-RW see if it works for my humble inexpensive self modified tenor.

Sorry to off topic..

Last edited:
i vote unwound if its just the 3rd string. but i would like a all would ukulele :) and not just any wound, good ones from like southcoast or fremont quality.

All of my tenors are strung re-entrant. I have Worths on a Mya Moe reso, Savarez Collings gauge sets on two Collings (one Koa, one Mahogany) and I use Hilos with a wound C on a Maui Music Koa. The MM is the only one I have a wound C string on - but it just feels right for that instrument. It's got a wider neck and a slightly larger body than any of the others, which may have something to do with why the wound string and the black nylon works better on it. They are all different, and I've tried several other sets on each. This is what I've settled on for now.

DUK

I'm not taking issue with you on this - you know far more about the subject than I ever will. However, when I listen to those two clips, it sounds to me like the wound strings are overly dominant, especially when Aaron is strumming. I hear a more balanced sound in the all unwound version. Granted, the wound 3rd string does have more clarity and sustain, but there is a clear tradeoff in my opinion. Gorgeous ukulele, by the way!

Last edited:
Top Bottom