View Poll Results: Wound or unwound 3rd string on tenor ukuleles?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Unwound 3rd string

34 77.27%
  • Wound 3rd string

10 22.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenor ukes in high G tuning: wound or unwound poll

Default Tenor ukes in high G tuning: wound or unwound poll

I am curious to learn what folks prefer as far as wound versus an unwound 3rd string for high G tunings on tenor ukuleles. My experience has been that when a uke can do it, I prefer an unwound C string. However, some ukes just don't seem to like it (the string can sound weak and flabby). How about you all?

Originally Posted by ukemunga:
    "Best is a very personal thing. You gotta play it to love it. And you'll always think there's one better. And there is."

Personally dislike ANY wound string on a uke
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert

Unwound for me all the way.

Despite playing lots of instruments that use wound strings, I really don't like wound strings on my uke.

It depends on the uke. I have one re-entrant tuned uke with a wound C and like it a lot. I have come to like wound strings on my ukes, they seem to have more life to them, although I cast my vote for unwound in the poll because most of my ukes have non-wound third strings.

I use and love a wound third on one of my concerts, but my tenors are happier without...

I voted for wound. Besides sound, feel is very important and I don't like the C string to be much thicker in diameter than other strings as I don't like my A string to be much thinner. I play a wound G and the difference in tension seems more consistent with 2 wounds and 2 non-wounds vs. 1 wound and 3 non-wounds...Relative tension.

I selected wound, even though up 'til now most of my ukes have unwound 3rds. I'm discovering that I really like a wound third even on soprano ukes - however - they have to be Thomastik-Infeld chrome flat wound classical guitar strings (CF27 for the 3rd). They are almost squeakless, brighter than a lot of wound strings I've tried, and just seem to work really well especially against fluorocarbon strings.

I suspect that eventually all of my ukes will be sporting wound 3rds. They aren't so flabby and "snappy" and they intonate better up the neck than do thick plain strings.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

I much prefer unwound.... The notes are the same on a wound C string, but the tone is totally different - really doesn't blend in for me.
    Having said that, I have 3 tenors. 2 of them take an unwound C string beautifully, but one - a very well built Hawaiian brand - sounds slightly wooden and clunky down there with flourocarbon strings, especially on the fretted D note (2nd fret). Everywhere else is sweet and bell-like. I've tried every type of plain string, but still clunky. A wound C string gives me the sustain I am seeking, but sounds too different to the other strings.
    Anyone else beaten this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by bazmaz View Post
    Personally dislike ANY wound string on a uke
    Ukulele:
    Iriguchi Tenor "Weeble" - A, WoU Clarity
    Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE
    Cocobolo 16" SC#1-gCEA, SC SLMU
    Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    Imua iET-Bb, M600
    Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    Rogue bari
    Bonanza super tenor, cFAD SC LHU