Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Only $219 ? How is this possible? (Not a Moore Bettah, but...)

Lookd like the Cordoba 20TM CE I had. It also sounded great. Gretsch probably a little nicer, hopefully tuners better, and maybe a bone nut/saddle.

Im seeing these on ebay for 249-279,,, maybe they were not discontinued?? when I first got back into this is was NOT going to get a tenor again,, but the bug has bit again, after playing a kala kt this wknd.

Is this Gretch a recommended buy for under 300? it sounded good in the 7 ukes under? vid
    Steve

This Gretsch is an amazing uke:
    http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsc...p-gig-bag.html

Solid mahogany top, cutaway, Fishman active pickup AND built-in tuner. + Lovely Gretsch gigbag

Sound is amazing, setup is amazing, build quality is amazing... uses quality Grover tuners too..

Why not get one?

kissing,,, that link was very nice, its now on my short list. When I got back into this ,, I wanted to just strum & sing,,, but it seems Im much more comfortable fingerpicking,,, than singing along with strumming. I can fingerpick, my singing leaves a lot to be desired. thanks much

I bought the Gretsch G9121 A.C.E as my third uke for $199 including shipping about 6 months ago. It's a very nice uke, good presence and sustain, better than my Lanikai quilted ash and mandolele, but my recently purchased Kala KAATP-CTG-CE solid cedar and acacia koa that sells for $370 is definitely better (I got it for $150 after trading in three ukes).

Last edited by kohanmike; 04-21-2014 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmetzger View Post
    I own two Moore Bettah ukuleles, neither of which I felt comfortable to take to a tropical beach resort we're vacationing at in April. So thought it was time to try and find something that would be pleasing to play and hear, but at a price that wouldn't bother me if the uke got completely trashed or even stolen. I didn't have high hopes as I began this search, because I've never heard an inexpensive uke that made me want to play it.

So imagine my surprise when I happened upon a $219 ukulele from Gretsch that is *solid* mahogany and sounded (at least in the videos on line) really good. Good sustain, full and deep sound. Not what you'd expect for $219 or even three or four times that price. I first heard it played by one of the guys at Hawaii Music Supply at the following link: http://vimeo.com/51815414 (This uke won Hawaii Music Supply's best in show at the 2012 NAMM.)

I went to a local music store here in Northern California to play one. They had it priced at $279. It sounded surprisingly good - perhaps better than what I could hear from the video. Playability was a little funky - kept feeling my hands getting caught on the fret edges. But I went ahead and ordered it from Hawaii Music Supply not only because their price was less (I think it totaled $239 with 2-day shipping, gig bag and humidifier) but because they have a great reputation for setup.

It arrived yesterday. Asked them to set it up with a Fremont Soloist low G and Worth heavy clears. It had been set up expertly - good action. (And they're not charging you for the time to do that - which is something most local music stores are not going to do at all.) Frets had been smoothed. Plays really nice. Good overall intonation, descent sustain and pretty full sound.

Now I'm *not* saying it comes anywhere near approaching my Moore Bettahs. But certainly good enough. And if you're considering something at a price point under $1,000, I'd suggest you consider this ukulele. (Btw…there is also a different model 9120 with a laminated top, which I am *not* recommending. So make sure you're looking at the 9120 followed by the letters "SM" - for solid mahogany).

Here is the link to the ukulele on Hawaii Music Supply's web site (which happens to be sold out at the moment): http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsc...k-9120-sm.html

Keith
    Let's be honest...you just wanted a new uke.

All three ukes in your signature are made in Hawaii. Isn't Hawaii a tropical island (at least it was when I lived there for 5 years)?

All these views are very interesting.....I feel differently....I don't wanna go anywhere that I don't feel comfortable taking my ukes, any and all...
    I don't have a Moore Bettah, and maybe I never will, but a uke, as special as they are, is still an inanimate object, and I don't want any of my things to own me....so I will probably not buy a uke I can't replace....I do get attached, even though I know better....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Tri-Valley (East SF Bay Area) / Lahaina, HI

I agree. If you've only got one nice uke I can see why you might want to leave it at home. But if you've got two, why not bring one along? I know people who take their good ukes camping, hiking and to the beach. Why deprive yourself just because you're traveling? Your uke may even be safer with you when you travel than at home alone......
    I can totally relate to Keith's quandary. While I split time between the SF Bay Area and Hawaii, my East Bay digs still house the majority of my stringed instruments, as I don't have the space constraints that present on island. I normally bring something really nice - few custom(s) or K-model(s) - to play on island out on the lanai & wherever it's safety is in the 90-percentile range -- not worried about it being jacked by a gang of Kanaka maolis or crushed by a misdirected Honu (sea turtle..) trying to learn the Uke fretboard ... it's the environmental concerns that require accompaniment of sub-standard 'little friends' to attain that playing catharsis on island..

This may sound lame, but if you've ever been out on any of Maui's shoreline (the entire island is a natural wind-tunnel..) locations ... it's not difficult to comprehend why one would not take something so expensive and somewhat fragile out to an environment that is likely to have 20 - 50mph buckets of sand flying towards your little coveted friend, not to mention your eyeballs, & even ... heaven forbid, the back of one's throat -- I've no doubt that I've swallowed enough sand to make soundhole & logo accouterments for a gaggle of custom Ukes..

Thankfully, I don't often have to consider bringing instruments to locales like 3rd world countries (any part of Mexico qualifies here..) which unfortunately present daily challenges to keeps one's valuables safe -- it's sad, but a definite reality that the frequent traveler needs to contemplate booby-traps & weaponry to keep one's assets safe..

I also travel frequently, sometimes to locales with significant climate diversity, so it's much easier to bring something not as sensitive to moisture diversity (TSA doesn't quite comprehend the utility of an Oasis humidifier..) although finding something built with a laminated body that doesn't sound like complete caca definitely also presents a major challenge..

A definite conundrum to say the least for those of us that need to pacify the Uke monkey on a daily basis..

I've considered attempting to concoct some type of tonal-quality glue to utilize for adhering viable soundboard slivers together, although the end product may end up costing as much as something with climate sensitivity anyway..

Just get a Flea and stop worrying about it.

My husband plays a Gretsch Deluxe tenor, solid mahogany, like the one in the vimeo link. He loves it. I love it. I'm so glad we got it. Gretsch has already discontinued that particular model (according to their website) and we think it is an amazing instrument for the price. They weren't in production very long and it looks like the Roots lineup has changed considerably. Instead of the solid mahogany, it looks like they are now offering koa for a higher price. The mahogany ukuleles they offer look to be laminates now. Wonder why the big change to koa?

Congratulations on your Gretsch. They sure are sweet ukes. Love that quarter sawn mahogany throughout.
    Click a photo for information!

Thread Information