Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Family Album

  1. #1
    Hippie Dribble Guest

    Default Family Album

    Thought I'd take a photo of my ukes together. This is pretty much it for the time being, though I do have a Covered Bridge cherry concert on the way.

    Attachment 65461

    L-R: Big Rusty handpainted tenor resonator (magnolia) / Pohaku soprano (koa) / Black Bear soprano (macadamia) / Gerard Guasch soprano (maple/koa) / Kenn Timms soprano (mahogany) / National Triolian concert resonator / Ono concert (walnut)

    FRONT: Ono baritone (cedar/maple)

    Feel that it's a well balanced collection with a variety of sounds to suit different whims. Later this year I am hoping Gerard will finish another soprano and also am working on another unique soprano with Duane, perhaps for the end of the year.

    cheers all.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Columbus, IN
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Which of the sopranos is your favorite and why?
    Kiwaya KS-5 soprano, Kiwaya KS-1 soprano, LoPrinzi custom concert, BugsGear Aqulele plastic soprano
    http://ukulelereview.com
    http://the-gadgeteer.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Orleans,MA
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    What a fine looking family Jon. I think some of them even look like you!

  4. #4
    Hippie Dribble Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by julie View Post
    Which of the sopranos is your favorite and why?
    I would say the Black Bear Julie. It's just so warm and smooth sounding, and because I had a large hand in the aesthetic design of that one. But then on another day I may like to play something different. I guess that's the beauty of being fortunate enough to have more than one, because these really do all sound different and seem to suit particular songs and styles of music: for example, as the Black Bear is warm, the Pohaku is bright but quieter, the Guasch sparkles and is loud and sweet and very responsive, while the Timms has that punchy bold vintage kind of thing going on. It's nice to be able to choose.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    DFW, TX, USA
    Posts
    8,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkcrown View Post
    What a fine looking family Jon. I think some of them even look like you!
    Nope...none of them are wearing caps...
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

    Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    England
    Posts
    512

    Default

    Great pic, Jon. Funny, I considered doing the same thing this afternoon (only with the ones I play regularly, though.) It'll be great to be able to ID your ukes as I'm watching the videos now.
    'This is how you talk to her when no-one else is listening
    This is how you help her when the muse goes missing
    You vanish so that she can go drowning in a dream again.'

    Jason Isbell - 24 Frames

    My stable
    Kif Wood mahogany concert [arrived 10th September 2015]
    Ohana SK-22z
    Vintage brand soprano (my first ukulele)
    Tanglewood TU-4223 tenor ukulele
    Mahalo Flying V ukulele
    Ashbury AU-80 koa concert ukulele ('Paloma')
    Gretsch G9112 resonator
    Omega Zedro I soprano

  7. #7
    Hippie Dribble Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkcrown View Post
    What a fine looking family Jon. I think some of them even look like you!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    Nope...none of them are wearing caps...
    LOL. well, maybe there is a kind of resemblance

    Attachment 65462

  8. #8
    Hippie Dribble Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shady Wilbury View Post
    Great pic, Jon. Funny, I considered doing the same thing this afternoon (only with the ones I play regularly, though.) It'll be great to be able to ID your ukes as I'm watching the videos now.
    thanks Casey. Yeah, was sorta nice to get them all out together and do a comparison of the different sounds side x side

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    306

    Default

    Those are nice looking ukes. I really think that the Black Bear soprano is especially fine looking.

    Just to be clear, when you say "This is pretty much it for the time being", that means one on the way right now and two more later this year? This made be chuckle. It was kind of a semi-evil chuckle because I am thinking of how this new expanded way of thinking about "pretty much it for the time being" could change my life for the better!

  10. #10
    Hippie Dribble Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niwenomian View Post
    Those are nice looking ukes. I really think that the Black Bear soprano is especially fine looking.

    Just to be clear, when you say "This is pretty much it for the time being", that means one on the way right now and two more later this year? This made be chuckle. It was kind of a semi-evil chuckle because I am thinking of how this new expanded way of thinking about "pretty much it for the time being" could change my life for the better!
    LOL. Pathetic Slave to UAS that I be.

    Well, in my defense, I am a pretty existential kind of guy so clearly "for the time being" means NOW, literally. Like, today. After that all bets are off.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •