Uke strap - where attach?

doowopper

Reaction score
Some uke players attach one end of a strap at the headstock. Other uke players instead attach one end of a strap somewhere near where the body and fingerboard join, such as seen on some YouTube videos by Dominator and James Hall. In the latter case (strap attached somewhere near where the body and fingerboard join), I can't figure out specifically where and how the attachment is made.
1) Are there advantages/disadvantages for attaching one end of a strap at the headstock (tuning peg area) vs. near where the fingerboard and body join?
2) Specifically where and how is one end of a strap attached near where the fingerboard and body join? Is a strap button used - if so specifically where is it attached?
3) If a strap is attached at the headstock, is it better to attach it near the nut or between the two rows of tuning pegs?
4) Regardless of where one end of a strap is attached (headstock or where the body and fingerboard join), the other end of the strap typically is attached to a strap button on the lower end of the body of the uke? Correct?
Thanks for bearing with my newbie questions.
Richard

Hi Richard,

The straps I have just been looking at are slightly different from those you describe, they are a loop which goes around your neck with a single long strip ( adjustable ) that hangs down with a small 'hook' on the end.

Lying the strap against your body it falls between you and the Uke and is then lifted up from the other side ( wrapped around the Uke ) and is hooked into the sound hole to act as a support. Obviously as it is only hooked there you can't leave go of your Uke - but it does offer support, and is something that I am seriously considering buying.

Hope this helps with one type of strap :)

Best wishes

MiaRosie ( another newbie )

hellohihey,

There are different types of straps that you could use depending on your uke. The ones that you are describing are straps that attach to buttons on the body of the uke. these are usually on ukes with amplification; the button is where you plug in the uke. The other end attaches to either the headstock near the nut or another button on the neck where it attaches to the body. as for advantages from where the strap attaches i believe it is personal preference. If you do not have strap buttons then i think its probably better to get a classical guitar/uke strap like the one described above of you can take it to a guitar/uke shop to see if they can put them on. hope that cleared some of the confusion.

Isang Mahal,

Brandon

hey, if you're looking for a quick fix, a piece of string (or old shoelace) can do the trick. I tie mine around the headstock under the strings, right next to the fretboard. For the bottom, I have a strap button/cord plug, so i tied a knot around that. If you don't have that, and don't want to install one, you can copy danielle's method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZoqsfFGGPY&feature=channel_page

hope this helps!

p.s. if you're a boyscout, a tautline knot at the top is ideal, since it is adjustable.

Hi there,

I find that as long as I am playing just for myself, I have no problems holding the soprano in position, but as soon as others are around I get a bit nervous and the little thing involuntarily starts sliding down....:mad:

I decided to do something about that, so I have one thing less to worry about when others are listening. I got one of these straps that come with memory sticks. The end of the strap fits perfectly into a cable end sleeve (of the right size) with a very tight fit. So I drilled a hole into the back of the neck where it connects to the body and super-glued the sleeve into the hole.

Now I can just plug the strap into the hole and the uke stays in the right place without me having to think about it. It feels perfectly normal and gives just the right amount of support. Have a look at the pictures.

Andreas

Attachments

• UkeStrapHolder.jpg
    UkeStrapHolder.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 200
  • UkeStrap.jpg
    UkeStrap.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 152
Does anyone know if I could take the uke to a music store and have them install strap buttons? I'm not good with tools and I'm frightened* that I'll screw it up. (Ha ha, "screw!" Get it? Okay, sorry for the bad pun.) I don't think it's something I should do myself.

*99% sure

Does anyone know if I could take the uke to a music store and have them install strap buttons? I'm not good with tools and I'm frightened* that I'll screw it up. (Ha ha, "screw!" Get it? Okay, sorry for the bad pun.) I don't think it's something I should do myself.*99% sure
Sure. You'd do best at a music store that has a repair department, or at least a regular "repair guy". It's no big deal though. Basically, an appropriately sized pilot hole is drilled for the screw, and then the button is screwed into the pilot hole.

Sure. You'd do best at a music store that has a repair department, or at least a regular "repair guy". It's no big deal though. Basically, an appropriately sized pilot hole is drilled for the screw, and then the button is screwed into the pilot hole.

Thank you for your help. :) I think I'll try to take it somewhere. I don't trust myself not to mess it up, even if it is that simple.

Thank you for your help. :) I think I'll try to take it somewhere. I don't trust myself not to mess it up, even if it is that simple.

Yeah, I would never take a screwdriver to my uke either! When my tuners broke, I handed the uke to my brother and said, "Hey, you're a doctor. Fix this!!!" (You know, 'cause doctors fix things.... he actually is a doctor. The joke is only funny if you know that...) He rustled through my screwdrivers, tightened some stuff, loosened some other stuff... and two seconds later, it was fixed!

If I had done that myself, there's no way it would've gotten fixed. I vote for taking yours into the music shop, or, if you're looking for a cute, single surgeon with a mad ukin sister, well, I could hook up with my uke repair guy!

Last edited:
Some uke players attach one end of a strap at the headstock. Other uke players instead attach one end of a strap somewhere near where the body and fingerboard join, such as seen on some YouTube videos by Dominator and James Hall. In the latter case (strap attached somewhere near where the body and fingerboard join), I can't figure out specifically where and how the attachment is made.
1) Are there advantages/disadvantages for attaching one end of a strap at the headstock (tuning peg area) vs. near where the fingerboard and body join?
2) Specifically where and how is one end of a strap attached near where the fingerboard and body join? Is a strap button used - if so specifically where is it attached?
3) If a strap is attached at the headstock, is it better to attach it near the nut or between the two rows of tuning pegs?
4) Regardless of where one end of a strap is attached (headstock or where the body and fingerboard join), the other end of the strap typically is attached to a strap button on the lower end of the body of the uke? Correct?
Thanks for bearing with my newbie questions.
Richard
The effectiveness of the strap placement is influenced by the weight distribution of your ukulele. If you have a head-heavy ukulele, then a strap that attaches to the head stock will help keep it in position. If you have most of the weight in the bottom half of your uke, than placing the button at the base of the neck can keep the strap out of the way of your fretting hand. If you have a head-heavy uke, don't install a button at the base of the neck by the soundbox. The head and neck will clock out of position, and it will be frustrating.

As far as where to attach the strap on a headstock, it depends on your playing style and your ukulele's shape. The goal is for the strap to not interfere with the tuners, and not get in the way of the fretting hand. So, you might have to test it out to see what works best for you.

Unless you have a cheap uke, I would have a professional install the strap button(s). If you don't do it properly, you could crack the wood.

Of course, I am partial to the Uke Leash, but regular button straps do a good job and make playing much easier.

–Lori

Won't drilling a hole in your ukulele, to install a strap button, void the warranty?

Won't drilling a hole in your ukulele, to install a strap button, void the warranty?
I would check the manufacturer's website to be sure. I noticed that it will void the Kala warranty. Certainly, a crack radiating from a non-factory strap button hole would look like a uncovered defect.
–Lori

This is an ongoing discussion that can really be a point of contention for many players. There is a school of thought that subscribes to the idea that a ukulele should not be altered in any way with any kind of strap, etc. When it comes to my vintage collection, I must admit that I heartily agree. I would find it difficult to rationalize drilling any kind hole into a 1933 Harmony Johnny Marvin Airplane Tenor. However, I do play professionally and any ukulele that I play on stage is immediately altered to accommodate a strap. Regardless of brand, size, value, etc. Since all of our performance ukuleles are retrofitted with Mi-Si pickups, the jackpin hole serves as the anchor point for one end of the strap. The other strap button (and this is where many ukulele players will cringe) is installed either directly on the heel of the neck facing the player or offset from the heel facing away from the player and tilted down. I have found that this allows for the most flexibility when playing, the least fatigue, and in no way obstructs the fretboard in any way if one were to attach the strap on the headstock rear. My strap of choice is the Cole Clark leather adjustable available at Elderly: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/CCUS.htm

That's my perspective. All our performance ukulele (about ten) are setup the same. This also allows for fast changes and I have occasionally worn two ukuleles with one hanging slightly lower so I could switch between baritone and tenor mid-song. (Although I must admit, that this has only happened once.):cool:

Mike

My 2 cents on straps:
Articles about them on my site
http://ukeeku.com/tag/strap/
But really I am cool with what works. for a banjo uke I want a strap, but for my concert ukes I don't feel the need. My question is; do you ever want to sell the instrument and should you modify it then?

Mahalo and Peace

This was an extremely helpful thread. I read Ukeeku.com's post, and I already own plenty of Lori's lovely Uke Leashes (I especially like them on my electric ukes with the optional leather button strap for one end of the uke leash, and I use the traditional fret strap on the head).

After considering all options for my Cordoba CK25, I decided to drill it like the guy in the video, and did so tonight without cracks or issues. I now have a guitar strap on that one, and it works well.

Thank you for asking the same questions that I was thinking at this point in time, several months after the initial thread.

The uke leashes are great of course, but if you like th classical style strap, those Ukestar straps at Etsy are very nice as well. The material on the sound hole hook is very soft and you'd have to bare down hard to do any damage at all. It's very uke friendly.

I mention that one, because ukeeku's link does, and it's so very different from UU's Lori's uke leashes. You'd know you'd want the one or th other, or both.

Top Bottom