Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uke strap - where attach?

Default Uke strap - where attach?

Some uke players attach one end of a strap at the headstock. Other uke players instead attach one end of a strap somewhere near where the body and fingerboard join, such as seen on some YouTube videos by Dominator and James Hall. In the latter case (strap attached somewhere near where the body and fingerboard join), I can't figure out specifically where and how the attachment is made.
    1) Are there advantages/disadvantages for attaching one end of a strap at the headstock (tuning peg area) vs. near where the fingerboard and body join?
    2) Specifically where and how is one end of a strap attached near where the fingerboard and body join? Is a strap button used - if so specifically where is it attached?
    3) If a strap is attached at the headstock, is it better to attach it near the nut or between the two rows of tuning pegs?
    4) Regardless of where one end of a strap is attached (headstock or where the body and fingerboard join), the other end of the strap typically is attached to a strap button on the lower end of the body of the uke? Correct?
    Thanks for bearing with my newbie questions.
    Richard

Hi Richard,

The straps I have just been looking at are slightly different from those you describe, they are a loop which goes around your neck with a single long strip ( adjustable ) that hangs down with a small 'hook' on the end.

Lying the strap against your body it falls between you and the Uke and is then lifted up from the other side ( wrapped around the Uke ) and is hooked into the sound hole to act as a support. Obviously as it is only hooked there you can't leave go of your Uke - but it does offer support, and is something that I am seriously considering buying.

Hope this helps with one type of strap

Best wishes

MiaRosie ( another newbie )

hellohihey,

There are different types of straps that you could use depending on your uke. The ones that you are describing are straps that attach to buttons on the body of the uke. these are usually on ukes with amplification; the button is where you plug in the uke. The other end attaches to either the headstock near the nut or another button on the neck where it attaches to the body. as for advantages from where the strap attaches i believe it is personal preference. If you do not have strap buttons then i think its probably better to get a classical guitar/uke strap like the one described above of you can take it to a guitar/uke shop to see if they can put them on. hope that cleared some of the confusion.

Isang Mahal,

Brandon

hey, if you're looking for a quick fix, a piece of string (or old shoelace) can do the trick. I tie mine around the headstock under the strings, right next to the fretboard. For the bottom, I have a strap button/cord plug, so i tied a knot around that. If you don't have that, and don't want to install one, you can copy danielle's method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZoqs...e=channel_page

hope this helps!

p.s. if you're a boyscout, a tautline knot at the top is ideal, since it is adjustable.

Lightbulb

Hi there,

I find that as long as I am playing just for myself, I have no problems holding the soprano in position, but as soon as others are around I get a bit nervous and the little thing involuntarily starts sliding down....

I decided to do something about that, so I have one thing less to worry about when others are listening. I got one of these straps that come with memory sticks. The end of the strap fits perfectly into a cable end sleeve (of the right size) with a very tight fit. So I drilled a hole into the back of the neck where it connects to the body and super-glued the sleeve into the hole.

Now I can just plug the strap into the hole and the uke stays in the right place without me having to think about it. It feels perfectly normal and gives just the right amount of support. Have a look at the pictures.

Andreas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does anyone know if I could take the uke to a music store and have them install strap buttons? I'm not good with tools and I'm frightened* that I'll screw it up. (Ha ha, "screw!" Get it? Okay, sorry for the bad pun.) I don't think it's something I should do myself.

*99% sure

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    Does anyone know if I could take the uke to a music store and have them install strap buttons? I'm not good with tools and I'm frightened* that I'll screw it up. (Ha ha, "screw!" Get it? Okay, sorry for the bad pun.) I don't think it's something I should do myself.*99% sure
    Sure. You'd do best at a music store that has a repair department, or at least a regular "repair guy". It's no big deal though. Basically, an appropriately sized pilot hole is drilled for the screw, and then the button is screwed into the pilot hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance-Man View Post
    Sure. You'd do best at a music store that has a repair department, or at least a regular "repair guy". It's no big deal though. Basically, an appropriately sized pilot hole is drilled for the screw, and then the button is screwed into the pilot hole.
    Thank you for your help. I think I'll try to take it somewhere. I don't trust myself not to mess it up, even if it is that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna View Post
    Thank you for your help. I think I'll try to take it somewhere. I don't trust myself not to mess it up, even if it is that simple.
    Yeah, I would never take a screwdriver to my uke either! When my tuners broke, I handed the uke to my brother and said, "Hey, you're a doctor. Fix this!!!" (You know, 'cause doctors fix things.... he actually is a doctor. The joke is only funny if you know that...) He rustled through my screwdrivers, tightened some stuff, loosened some other stuff... and two seconds later, it was fixed!

If I had done that myself, there's no way it would've gotten fixed. I vote for taking yours into the music shop, or, if you're looking for a cute, single surgeon with a mad ukin sister, well, I could hook up with my uke repair guy!
    Last edited by remy; 02-25-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: i said "I would never screw my uke"... nuff said

Thread Information