Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uke strap - where attach?

Red face ukelele strap

You can get a cord suspender strap for around 5 pounds including worldwide shipping from Janikas Music Shop via the link below

http://www.janika.co.uk/CORD-STRAP-UKULELE-GUITAR.php

I don't think you will find a cheaper alternative and these straps work well with ukulele's

Steve
    www.janika.co.uk
    Last edited by stevehowe; 10-01-2010 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doowopper View Post
    Some uke players attach one end of a strap at the headstock. Other uke players instead attach one end of a strap somewhere near where the body and fingerboard join, such as seen on some YouTube videos by Dominator and James Hall. In the latter case (strap attached somewhere near where the body and fingerboard join), I can't figure out specifically where and how the attachment is made.
    1) Are there advantages/disadvantages for attaching one end of a strap at the headstock (tuning peg area) vs. near where the fingerboard and body join?
    2) Specifically where and how is one end of a strap attached near where the fingerboard and body join? Is a strap button used - if so specifically where is it attached?
    3) If a strap is attached at the headstock, is it better to attach it near the nut or between the two rows of tuning pegs?
    4) Regardless of where one end of a strap is attached (headstock or where the body and fingerboard join), the other end of the strap typically is attached to a strap button on the lower end of the body of the uke? Correct?
    Thanks for bearing with my newbie questions.
    Richard
    The effectiveness of the strap placement is influenced by the weight distribution of your ukulele. If you have a head-heavy ukulele, then a strap that attaches to the head stock will help keep it in position. If you have most of the weight in the bottom half of your uke, than placing the button at the base of the neck can keep the strap out of the way of your fretting hand. If you have a head-heavy uke, don't install a button at the base of the neck by the soundbox. The head and neck will clock out of position, and it will be frustrating.

As far as where to attach the strap on a headstock, it depends on your playing style and your ukulele's shape. The goal is for the strap to not interfere with the tuners, and not get in the way of the fretting hand. So, you might have to test it out to see what works best for you.

Unless you have a cheap uke, I would have a professional install the strap button(s). If you don't do it properly, you could crack the wood.

Of course, I am partial to the Uke Leash, but regular button straps do a good job and make playing much easier.

–Lori

Won't drilling a hole in your ukulele, to install a strap button, void the warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by siauke View Post
    Won't drilling a hole in your ukulele, to install a strap button, void the warranty?
    I would check the manufacturer's website to be sure. I noticed that it will void the Kala warranty. Certainly, a crack radiating from a non-factory strap button hole would look like a uncovered defect.
    –Lori

This is an ongoing discussion that can really be a point of contention for many players. There is a school of thought that subscribes to the idea that a ukulele should not be altered in any way with any kind of strap, etc. When it comes to my vintage collection, I must admit that I heartily agree. I would find it difficult to rationalize drilling any kind hole into a 1933 Harmony Johnny Marvin Airplane Tenor. However, I do play professionally and any ukulele that I play on stage is immediately altered to accommodate a strap. Regardless of brand, size, value, etc. Since all of our performance ukuleles are retrofitted with Mi-Si pickups, the jackpin hole serves as the anchor point for one end of the strap. The other strap button (and this is where many ukulele players will cringe) is installed either directly on the heel of the neck facing the player or offset from the heel facing away from the player and tilted down. I have found that this allows for the most flexibility when playing, the least fatigue, and in no way obstructs the fretboard in any way if one were to attach the strap on the headstock rear. My strap of choice is the Cole Clark leather adjustable available at Elderly: http://elderly.com/accessories/items/CCUS.htm

That's my perspective. All our performance ukulele (about ten) are setup the same. This also allows for fast changes and I have occasionally worn two ukuleles with one hanging slightly lower so I could switch between baritone and tenor mid-song. (Although I must admit, that this has only happened once.)

Mike
    Mike Kaplan

The Velvet Sirens
    Unique & Traditional Vocal Jazz and Swing
    http://www.thevelvetsirens.com

"To this day, if I ever meet grownups who play ukulele, I love 'em." --Paul McCartney

My 2 cents on straps:
    Articles about them on my site
    http://ukeeku.com/tag/strap/
    But really I am cool with what works. for a banjo uke I want a strap, but for my concert ukes I don't feel the need. My question is; do you ever want to sell the instrument and should you modify it then?
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

Default Mahalo and Peace

This was an extremely helpful thread. I read Ukeeku.com's post, and I already own plenty of Lori's lovely Uke Leashes (I especially like them on my electric ukes with the optional leather button strap for one end of the uke leash, and I use the traditional fret strap on the head).

After considering all options for my Cordoba CK25, I decided to drill it like the guy in the video, and did so tonight without cracks or issues. I now have a guitar strap on that one, and it works well.

Thank you for asking the same questions that I was thinking at this point in time, several months after the initial thread.

The uke leashes are great of course, but if you like th classical style strap, those Ukestar straps at Etsy are very nice as well. The material on the sound hole hook is very soft and you'd have to bare down hard to do any damage at all. It's very uke friendly.

I mention that one, because ukeeku's link does, and it's so very different from UU's Lori's uke leashes. You'd know you'd want the one or th other, or both.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

Thread Information