Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small(er) diameter LOW 4th ("G") string options..

Tri-Valley (East SF Bay Area) / Lahaina, HI

Default Small(er) diameter LOW 4th ("G") string options..

Aloha folks-

I'd initially planned on installing a low 4th/G on my Kanile'a K-2 dlx along with the new Ph.D's I popped on, but the standard reentrant set sounds so awesome that I'm hesitant to re-cut the nut to accommodate my "go-to" low 4th (Freemont polished "squeakless" Soloist,) which is a few hairs too thick to properly ride in the 4th slot.

While I realize I may experience some intonation issues by leaving the nut angle dialed-in for the reentrant 4th, I'm itchy to give the low 4th a shot & see what she sounds like with this combination.

Anybody have any recommendations for a thinner gauge 4th (less than ~.70mm anyway)??

Prefer wound &/or metal-wrapped, but would also consider a polymer string.

Mahalo in advance for any input/advice!
    Last edited by NoKaOi; 04-04-2014 at 09:22 PM.

My experience is that a wound low G 4th string will slip straight in to a reentrant 4th string slot without any trouble. I've always been using Aquila Nylguts.

Anthony

Try a Thomastik-Infeld CF30 chrome flat wound classical guitar string. I've found that these are about the only wound strings I can tolerate and they work really well. (The CF30 stands for .030 inch - ouch, that would be about .78mm.)

Hmmm, you could try the CF27 - it just fits in there at .69mm. I've used this string for a wound 3rd tuned to C but it might work for you as a low-G especially if you are not a fan of high tension. I like fairly high tension and the CF30 works well for me as a G and the CF27 as a C, but if you are matching against a set of lower tension strings the CF27 might work okay for you as a low-G.

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyg View Post
    My experience is that a wound low G 4th string will slip straight in to a reentrant 4th string slot without any trouble. I've always been using Aquila Nylguts. Anthony
    Thanks, Anthony. They have done the same on my lower/mid-priced 4-stringers, as the nut slots have quite a bit more slop than the Kanile'a or my customs, the respective slots of which are all just a hair wider than the corresponding string that's riding in them -- particularly the NuBone K-2 nut. Barely enough extra room to slide a few pieces of copy paper in them bad boyz..

Try a Thomastik-Infeld CF30 chrome flat wound classical guitar string. I've found that these are about the only wound strings I can tolerate and they work really well. (The CF30 stands for .030 inch - ouch, that would be about .78mm.)

Hmmm, you could try the CF27 - it just fits in there at .69mm. I've used this string for a wound 3rd tuned to C but it might work for you as a low-G especially if you are not a fan of high tension. I like fairly high tension and the CF30 works well for me as a G and the CF27 as a C, but if you are matching against a set of lower tension strings the CF27 might work okay for you as a low-G.
    John, your advice is always full of wisdom & utility -- the CF27 will likely work fine for this experimental endeavor -- if I elect revert to my normal preference of a low bottom (or "top" for the inverse thinkers amongst us..) I believe I'll be hard pressed to choose anything besides the polished Fremont (which will involve re-cutting the NuBone, & likely require installation of an altogether NEW nut if I elect to go back to reentrant).

When you find something that works soooo well, it's difficult to ponder any semblance of change!
    Last edited by NoKaOi; 04-05-2014 at 12:56 PM.

Infield CF27 side-note: Being the string is intended to live it's life as a geetar 3rd, I'm gathering it'll be happy playing the role of open 'G' on a 4-stringer!

Get a wound classic guitar string. I often use a Savarez or Oasis .029 inch diameter (.74 mm). Maybe find a .028 inch. (.71mm).

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Get a wound classic guitar string. I often use a Savarez or Oasis .029 inch diameter (.74 mm). Maybe find a .028 inch. (.71mm).
    Mahalo for the suggestion, Doc - unfortunately, the Freemont ... while a tad larger at .030 (.762mm) binds to a fairly large degree, & while I haven't spec'd the slot's exact width using feeler gauges, I suspect that .71mm will still be too wide.. I'm just not quite ready to defile that NuBone, although the jury is still out on my all-out approval on Graph Tech's synthetic product.

I would guess almost any wound low G would fit.. If not, you could widen the nut slot so very slightly it would still work with either.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by stevepetergal View Post
    I would guess almost any wound low G would fit.. If not, you could widen the nut slot so very slightly it would still work with either.
    Yes, widening the slot is an option; however, I'd also have to modify the slot-angle for the wider string to intonate properly ... thus, committing the slot to the lower/wider string-type, which I hope to avoid at this juncture -- I'd like the option of being able to choose either ... for awhile anyway.

A contraption like Eddie Van Halen's "D-tuna" (for instant guitar drop-d to std tuning) which raised/lowered the nut-angle & opened/closed the slot would be ideal..

I tuned acoustic instruments for a living for about thirty years. I'm the pickiest person you'll meet. I have always switched from low G to high G on two of my ukuleles. There is no need to modify the instrument to go from one to the other. If there is a change, (which I don't believe there is) it is in the non-speaking length of the string. Please ask your local luthier for an honest opinion. This is a non-problem.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Thread Information